Old 09 September 2016, 22:43   #1

Town: friday harbor WA
Boat name: beluga
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: yamaha 40
winterizing or not

My local boat engine repair guy took me to the cleaners last fall, charging way too much money to winterize my 4 stroke Yamaha outboard. I have found a new guy who assures me he will charge less than half of what I spent last winter. But before I hire him, I thought I'd raise a simple question here, hoping for an answer from someone with more engine experience than me.

I keep my RIB in a boat shed next to my garage all winter long. On a warm winter day, I've occasionally wanted to take the boat out on the ocean for a spin. But I've never actually done it, only because I felt I would be wrecking the expensive winterizing job. It didn't seem worth it to get it winterized a second time just for a few hours out on the water.

So I'm wondering if I can avoid winterizing the engine entirely, while also keeping it from rust or other harm. As an easy alternative, it wouldn't be difficult for me to hook up a hose to the engine, once a month or so during the winter, and start it up for a few minutes to burn off any thing bad inside. Is that a real option? Or a fools mission?

Also know, that whenever I fill my gas tank, I always add stabilizer.
Old 15 September 2016, 22:05   #2

Town: St Austell
Boat name: On Site
Make: Zodiac
Engine: 100hp outboard
RIBase
I don't winterize mine. I try and extend my season as much as possible using it on those quiet sunny autumn and spring days. Even the odd winter day wrapped up warm. Like you suggested I just hook it up to a hose every 3 or 4 weeks if I haven't used her and run her ten minutes. Keeps everything charged and moving.

I would be interested to know if any other members warn against this, but I have had no probs.
Old 15 September 2016, 22:39   #3

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornishcoote View Post
I don't winterize mine. I try and extend my season as much as possible using it on those quiet sunny autumn and spring days. Even the odd winter day wrapped up warm. Like you suggested I just hook it up to a hose every 3 or 4 weeks if I haven't used her and run her ten minutes. Keeps everything charged and moving.

I would be interested to know if any other members warn against this, but I have had no probs.
Never winterised exactly the same want to use any time if I don't get out I run her up do a bit of maintenance at the same time or as my wife calls It messing all part of it for me
Old 16 September 2016, 05:23   #4

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
so what do they actually do for winterising
Old 16 September 2016, 06:27   #5

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezeblock View Post
so what do they actually do for winterising
Some people treat winterising as a service for the outboard, so on a 4-stroke that would be to change the wet sump oil, gear oil (in case there's any water in there), lube control linkages, and spray fogging oil into combustion chamber and hand tighten spark plugs. You can also add a fuel stabiliser to any remaining fuel in the tank. A liberal spray of WD40 over the head or Quicksilver Corrosion Guard, whatever is your preference.

2-strokes, then the fogging oil can be added to the air intake until the engine stops (running on muffs), and add to the combustion chamber and hand-tighten spark plugs. Good opportunity to replace the impeller, change the gear oil and importantly replace the upper and lower filler and drain fibre washers.

Other service items such as checking hydraulic fluid level in trim and tilt, and thermostat housing for salt build up (you'll need a new gasket) are worth doing to. Means come spring - you're read to rock and roll.
Old 16 September 2016, 07:50   #6

Town: WARSAW
Boat name: T1
Make: HIGHFIELD OM540DL
Engine: EVINRUDE 115 HO
MMSI: 261026640
But it depends on the area and Winter temperatures I suppose.
In UK occasionally you have about +5 or 0 C
In Greece or Croatia I will not winterize also.

But in Poland even in Center near Warsaw we have few weeks with -20 C or more ...
So I always get out batteries from boat to home, and keep boat under cover having some air flow under it.

And I use automatic winterize routine for Evinrude outboard.
Keep trailer on (not idea about English name - sorry)

And Engine in lower possible position.
I can not use boat in Winter because of ice on Lakes and Baltic Sea
Old 16 September 2016, 09:46   #7

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Use mine all year round. Always run on hose after use and get the engine as vertical as possible so it drains after.
I don't try and start it if it's feezing as ice in the pump will wreck it.
( I have stuck the hose from a wallpaper stripper up the prop exhaust to thaw the pump so as I could use it)
Old 16 September 2016, 12:41   #8

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
It is important to realise winterisation does not relate to temp or winter it refers to any time the engine will be laid up for an extendd period of time.

Tsm
Old 16 September 2016, 15:45   #9

Boat name: Calypso
Make: Zodiac 650
Engine: Suzuki 150
RIBase
Looking at the yearly temp averages and weather for Friday Harbor WA, its very similar to ROI and West Coast of UK, very rarely dropping below Zero.

Some of the best days on the sea are in the winter, we get crisp clear days with High Pressure Systems, added to that no one else out on the water. I use my RIB all year, if I know its going to be cold (few days below zero although very rare) I do take the battery out and keep it in the Garage. I also Jack trailer up on to axle stands if not using it for a month or so and run it up if I don't get to use it due to weather or holidays, or just to annoy the neighbours.

I leave mine in the tilt down position to ensure no water is lurking in the event of a surprise frost, service annually as normal in the spring. (This is for West Wales, not seen snow for years ))
Old 16 September 2016, 16:40   #10

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatFromPoland View Post
But it depends on the area and Winter temperatures I suppose.
In UK occasionally you have about +5 or 0 C
In Greece or Croatia I will not winterize also.

But in Poland even in Center near Warsaw we have few weeks with -20 C or more ...
This kind of depends where you are in the UK. 2010/2011 we had -20 C in central Scotland....that was exceptional but more of an issue and more common is it being below 0 C (-4 -5 C) for a week or more, gives time for things to freeze up.

The batteries should survive that without any problem though. provided they're kept fully charged. For me, permanent regulated charging is a lot easier than hauling them out every time it goes below zero.