Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 23 July 2003, 08:57   #1

Town: Oxford
Boat name: Salix, Made of the Mist
Make: Tinker, Avon
Length: 3.66, 3.45
Engine: Outboards, 4hp, 25hp, 8hp
When you think you have checked every thing. SIGH…

I went to see an old Avon supersport 345 seemed a bit grubby but mechanically ok.
The engine ran well (even with 40:1 in the tank) nothing sloppy about the mounts and a general look of honest use.

So I parted with my cash and took my new toy home.
After a few days of tidying and routine maintenance I noticed that the prop was not in line with the keel.
A closer look showed the saddle clamp was on strait but the engine was tilted by about 2-3 degrees. Taking the lower mountings off I found an aluminium tube bent.
My local outboard repair man has quoted me £300 for parts and about the same for labour……… as the engine is a 1991 electric start 25Hp mercury I guess I should just get it fixed.
Old 23 July 2003, 09:23   #2

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Nghost

I did something very simular to yourself when i bought my boat back in March, now all i seem to be doing is chasing and fire fighting problems with my engine, and as its simular age to yours. One of the main problems is not knowing the complete history of the engine, the only real way you can limit engine problems is to go and buy a brand new engine, of course this doesn't always mean it will be trouble free as new engine do develope faults but at least with a new engine you can fall back on the warranty. My problem was slightly different to yours, when i first bought the boat the first thing i did was have it completely serviced by a marine mechanic, it passed with flying colours and was declared ok, but i could not get the engine to rev fast enough to get on the plane, in the end it turned out to be a fuel problem and this was easilly sorted out, now the water pump impellor has gone bad and needs to be replaced as the engine was over heating and cutting itself out, so its back to the mechanic again for more work and worst still i'm off the water. Seems to be the way with older engines that you have to put up with the agro.

Maybe you could look at how much a nearly new engine from someone like Bembridge outboards would cost you, they may take yours as part ex which would help with costs, if i could afford it i'd buy a brand new engine and be done with the worry.

Richard
Old 23 July 2003, 10:09   #3

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Nghost, please think twice before spending £600 on a 91 engine. Two choices, either ignore it if the engine works okay, or shop around. Try Lee Fairweather at:

http://www.fairweathermarine.co.uk

He comes well recommended by many here on ribnet.

By the way many larger engines are offset to counter act the effect of torque from a single prop. So if yours doesn't line up exactly don't loose any sleep over it if the engine works okay.

Pete
Old 23 July 2003, 14:18   #4

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
I'd agree

I'd have to agree with Pete 7 dont throw good money after old, if your faced with a big repair bill it may be worth investing a bit more into getting either a new or nearly new engine from a reputable dealer, think of it like an old cheap car, if you bought it for £200 your not going to go and spend £400 on it even if you do love it to bits when you could scrap it and buy another that will work better and may last a bit longer.

If the boats pretty sound then you could change the engine over.

Richard
Old 23 July 2003, 15:09   #5
ozz

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: bojangles
Make: scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: yanmar
Hi Pete,
Sorry to get a little off track here but I have some nasty cracks in the transom on my boat which are letting in water and I note your recommendation for fairweather marine. They are within a reasonable distance of where I keep my boat on the Hamble, do you know if they are any good with gelcoat repairs or can you suggest aywhere else?

Your help (or anyone elses suggestion) would be much appreciated

Graeme
Old 23 July 2003, 15:56   #6
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
I would try Porter Brothers in Emsworth. They manufacture and repair all sorts of GRP boats from dinghies to RIBs and are probably who Fairweathers would use anyway!

Porter Brothers Ltd
Unit 1 Emsworth Yacht Harbour,
Thorney Road.
Emsworth.
Hants.
PO10 8BP

Tel : (01243) 377522
Fax : (01243) 372929

www.porters.org.uk
info@porters.org.uk

John
Old 23 July 2003, 21:42   #7
ozz

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: bojangles
Make: scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: yanmar
Many Thanks John, a sinking boat is not much fun, I will give them a go!

Cheers

Graeme