Boat name: Cait
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Opti
RIBase
Whats happening?

I have a one season old Optimax 90.

Was out early November.
Stopped for a short time in harbour and on return engine would not start. Nothing - zilch! Running lights and radio OK but no lift - zero from the engine. Turned key nothing. Took starter and main isolator keys out and returned them and engine started.

Same thing happened two weeks later when I went to tilt the engine while putting it in my garage. No tilt. Again took keys out and returned them and tilt worked.

Scratching my head here. Any and All HELP appreciated as I don't want it to happen when I out on the water!
Old 22 December 2008, 22:34   #2

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: True Blue
Make: Humber ocean pro 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 150 opti
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymac View Post
I have a one season old Optimax 90.

Was out early November.
Stopped for a short time in harbour and on return engine would not start. Nothing - zilch! Running lights and radio OK but no lift - zero from the engine. Turned key nothing. Took starter and main isolator keys out and returned them and engine started.

Same thing happened two weeks later when I went to tilt the engine while putting it in my garage. No tilt. Again took keys out and returned them and tilt worked.

Scratching my head here. Any and All HELP appreciated as I don't want it to happen when I out on the water!
It's a bit of a guess but I'd check the isolator switch, It may corroded inside and letting enough power through to run the radio etc but not start the engine.
Old 23 December 2008, 07:00   #3

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury
Sounds like a problem with the boat rather than the engine. Check your switches etc.
Old 23 December 2008, 07:44   #4

Town: INVERURIE
Boat name: Ranger
Make: Ribcraft 5.45
Engine: 90 HP Outboard
MMSI: 235010772
I agree with the isolator switch theory. See if you can repeat the fault then just remove and refit the keys only, if the fault has not gone then try the isolator switch if it works after that and you can then operate the tilt etc you have found the culprit. In the scheme of things a new switch is relatively cheap http://marinestore.co.uk/Merchant2/m...ches-and-boxes
you could also try by passing the isolator switch, if you try this disconnect the battery first the last thing you want is a short circuit .
Old 28 December 2008, 13:32   #5
RIBnet supporter

Town: Belfast
Boat name: Cait
Make: Humber
Engine: 90hp Opti
RIBase
Thanks!!

Many thanks folks. Problem solved! It was indeed the isolator switch. Once I shorted it out and then replaced - problem solved. Thanks again!