Old 24 August 2011, 16:58   #1

what prop? mariner 90

Can anyone advise what prop I should have fitted to my 1999 mariner 90, which is on a chasecrft 5.8m rib, and/or advise how I can find the correct serial number ?

I'm having to cut off the old prop, it resisted being removed with hub puller, heat etc.

The engine serial number on the label fixed to the power tilt mount cannot be read in full - looks like 0P03723, or maybe OR03723, or even 0203723. There are also 2 other numbers, 822362-1 moulded to inside of the cowl/lid, and 7090412HB printed on a sticker fastened to the engine block. can these numbers be cross referenced?

Other info prinyted on the serial label is 1999 ELPTD, 5500 rpm, 90Hp, 66 kw, 330 lb, 150 kg.
Old 24 August 2011, 17:32   #2

Town: Northampton
Make: RibTec
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outbaord mariner 75
Man that sounds a bit extreme to cut off the prop!

I am presuming the lock tab washer has had its tabs lifted and the bolt undone?

Probably a 17.5 or 19" pitch prop
Old 24 August 2011, 20:33   #3

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury
The nearest number to your serial number you have listed is 0P03723 but there is a digit missing. The other numbers will be casting numbers. The ELPTO bit means, Electric Start, Long Shaft, Power Trim, Oil injected. Prop wise i think you will need about a 17" pitch prop.
Old 24 August 2011, 21:51   #4

Town: Chorley / Holyhead
Boat name: Northwind Challenger
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 115 efi CT
MMSI: 235080598
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Festinghouse
prop wise, it all depends on what you want to do. 17" will get a skier up quick but flat out will rev its head off. i have a couple of different props but generally opt for 20" stainless which by the way gives me the same performance as my 21"alloy one - this gives a good top end speed, keeps the revs down a bit but is as flat as a fart as far as acceleration goes. i use this when going places rather than outright fun as it gives more comfort and much better fuel economy. if you have to choose just one size then go for a 19".
Old 25 August 2011, 21:17   #5

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Engine: Mercury
Quote:
Originally Posted by Festinghouse View Post
prop wise, it all depends on what you want to do. 17" will get a skier up quick but flat out will rev its head off. i have a couple of different props but generally opt for 20" stainless which by the way gives me the same performance as my 21"alloy one - this gives a good top end speed, keeps the revs down a bit but is as flat as a fart as far as acceleration goes. i use this when going places rather than outright fun as it gives more comfort and much better fuel economy. if you have to choose just one size then go for a 19".
Interestingly i would have said the opposite to you!. I would say the 21" alloy prop is the equivalent to a larger pitch stainless, which is why they usually make say a 19" ally and a 20" stainless or 17" Ally and 18" stainless, as the Stainless prop cuts through the water better and will not flex like an ally prop, you go up a pitch, which will give you better top end with pretty much the same pick up as the blade is thinner than an alloy prop. When re propping from Ally to stainless we always go up a pitch. Also the boat this prop is for is 5.8m, from experience a 5.4m Searider with a mariner 75 runs with an 18" pitch vengence prop, and a 5.8 ribcraft with the same engine uses a 15" Ally prop. So im still guessing a 17" for the size of boat!.
Old 26 August 2011, 14:24   #6

Town: Ireland
Length: 10m +
I had an Avon SR5.4 with a '05 carb'd 90 hp Mercury on it. I used a Mercury Laser II 13 1/4 x 20" stainless prop which gave me 42kn at 5400 RPM (100 under max for engine). I sold it with a 13 x 21" aluminium prop which gave 39kn at 5400rpm. I am not sure what weight a Cheesecraft is compared to the SR though.
I have since sold the boat but I have still got the prop complete with the box it came in & the hub kit & all PVS vent caps present if you are interested.
Old 26 August 2011, 14:35   #7

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
I'd be interested in the prop if the op is not. Let me know a price with postage should he decide not to want it

Peter

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 26 August 2011, 19:42   #8

Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubenelgenubi View Post
I had an Avon SR5.4 with a '05 carb'd 90 hp Mercury on it. I used a Mercury Laser II 13 1/4 x 20" stainless prop which gave me 42kn at 5400 RPM (100 under max for engine). I sold it with a 13 x 21" aluminium prop which gave 39kn at 5400rpm. I am not sure what weight a Cheesecraft is compared to the SR though.
I have since sold the boat but I have still got the prop complete with the box it came in & the hub kit & all PVS vent caps present if you are interested.

Did you note any difference in handling of the boat when comparing the alu prop to the laser( grip, cavitation...?
Old 27 August 2011, 13:48   #9

Town: Ireland
Length: 10m +
There was a little more grip with the Laser II but not so much that it justified having it at 300 & something pounds Stg.
The extra speed was there but not terribly useful as at 40kn+ the chine walking made things dangerous.
Old 27 August 2011, 19:04   #10

Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubenelgenubi View Post
There was a little more grip with the Laser II but not so much that it justified having it at 300 & something pounds Stg.
The extra speed was there but not terribly useful as at 40kn+ the chine walking made things dangerous.
OK thanks. Playing now with 19'' Yamaha K series, otherwise pretty OK but it looses grip easier
than I like. Considering a SS or then as a cheaper option a Blackmax. Or, then having done a slight "cupp" on the K series one...

Keeping the weight back and trimming out seams to keep the chine walk in controll on mine. Not to say its particularly stable at 39, would not let the hands from throttle or steering for a prolonged time period...