Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 24 October 2018, 12:18   #1

Town: Dorset
Length: 6m +
Twin engines - single trim switch

I've got twin Merc 90 2 strokes (1997) and they weren't originally fitted with trim senders & gauges. Rather than having the expense of fitting these and to avoid always turning round to check they are trimmed together has anyone fitted a single trim switch on their console?

Fairly handy with DIY stuff but I suspect the wiring involved to have a single switch but also be able to use the individual switches on the throttles would be above my level!

Any thoughts welcome. Thanks!
Old 24 October 2018, 12:35   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUSAC View Post
I've got twin Merc 90 2 strokes (1997) and they weren't originally fitted with trim senders & gauges. Rather than having the expense of fitting these and to avoid always turning round to check they are trimmed together has anyone fitted a single trim switch on their console?

Fairly handy with DIY stuff but I suspect the wiring involved to have a single switch but also be able to use the individual switches on the throttles would be above my level!

Not 100% sure what you’re trying to achieve, but; if you’re trying to trim both engines simultaneously from one switch, it only works “ish” due to differences in speed from the trim pumps, they soon get out of sync. It’s pretty straight forward to do & will involve a relay. My last RIB had twins with individual trim switches on the binnacle & a common one in the throttle.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 12:37   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Not 100% sure what you’re trying to achieve, but; if you’re trying to trim both engines simultaneously from one switch, it only works “ish” due to differences in speed from the trim pumps, they soon get out of sync. It’s pretty straight forward to do & will involve a relay. My last RIB had twins with individual trim switches on the binnacle & a common one in the throttle.
Yes the idea was to trim both simultaneously. Hadn't considered slight differences in pump speeds. Maybe it's not worth the hassle for what it solves. Might just keep on the lookout for second hand trim sender units.
Old 24 October 2018, 12:41   #4

Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Scull
A lot of twin helms have a master trim switch for both engines and then individual handed trims for 'trimming' / fine adjustment, it would be relatively easy to retro fit a master and still have the individuals, you'd just need a 'momentary on / off / momentary on' marine grade switch with the correct poles
Old 24 October 2018, 12:48   #5

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
As Pikey Dave said! It is a fairly common arrangement and though the motors do get out of sync if you trim them both fully down initially then trim out for running they'll stay pretty much in sync over that short trim time.

You'll need to pick up the connections on the present trim relays and feed a supply to them both from a separate, single relay triggered by your new trim switch. Alternatively, if you can source a double pole trim switch it can be wired one side to the left trim switch and the second side to the right trim switch so when it is pressed both engine's trims are energised.
Old 24 October 2018, 13:52   #6

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUSAC View Post

ive got a trim sensor and wiring from a 2013 mariner 4 stroke if its the same your welcome to it I took it off as the smart craft needs a sensor that was different
Old 24 October 2018, 15:00   #7

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Without trim gauges, are you still, not going to have to turn round to check if they're trimmed together? And if you're using then for trimming out "heel" does it matter as they're not going to be the same, if you're not, can you not tell from the heel when they're not?

That made sense in my head but it's been a long day..............
Old 25 October 2018, 14:37   #8

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. Having dug the service manual out a double pole switch looks fairly easy to graft in so will give that a go over winter.
Old 25 October 2018, 15:40   #9

Boat name: Viper
Make: XS
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard 2x 100
I've got an old set of top mount twin controls off that vintage of engine and the old trim gauges (not the senders though).

The controls use 2 trim switches but both on the starboard lever so you can trim them separately if you need to or both at the same time with your thumb if you want to trim both at once. Are you using top or side mount?