Click Here to Login

Old 16 June 2006, 22:00   #1

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
Trinkle from water cooling outlet

Managed to get my motor started tonight after about a year and a half (last time it was running was when it was demonstrated to me).

It fired up well after about the 4th time and she seems to sound ok. She started off with an ok (ish) stream coming from the tell tail but this turned to virtually nothing.

I was running her in a big tub with only the lower intakes below the water. There may have been a chance it sucked it something very small into the intake but when I took the intake grates off, the paint was flaking off so this may be more likely.

Assuming there is something lodged in the pipework somewhere, how the hell do i get it out?!! What else could be the problem? I don't really want to have pull the lower leg off to check the water pump.

Any suggestions welcome!
Old 16 June 2006, 22:13   #2

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
On mine you can take the telltale out and jam a hosepipe in there to flush it the other way - might be worth trying? There is a proper fitting but a hose pipe is near enough the right size

Mine sounds like a bag of bolts with the prop (and therefore exhaust) out of the water so it would be hard to tell if anything was wrong
Old 16 June 2006, 22:15   #3

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
I would check the easy things first Tim. The tell tail seem like a place to start, take it off and check for a blockage, might be somethings stuck in the jet.

Are you close to your first Sea trial?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2006, 22:19   #4

can't see how to get the tell tail off which is a bit annoying. There is a big screw on the leg labelled "wash" which I spose is the facility to plug a hose pipe in. Trouble is, it doesn't look like it wants to come out without a fight!

Andy, I'm close yes as long as this engine problem isn't too major.
Old 16 June 2006, 22:24   #5

Town: Leatherhead
Length: no boat
use a pipe cleaner up the tell-tale hole first

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2006, 22:28   #6

the other thing I forgot to mention was that the engine seemed to get quite warm (warm to touch) very quickly and the tell tail water was luke warm. I'm sure this never happened on my old 25hp yammy...is it just because its a bigger engine? 70hp tohatsu.

I will try the pipe cleaner thing, thanks!
Old 16 June 2006, 22:33   #7

Town: Fareham
Yep my tell tail water stream is warm. As for the tell tail, stick something up it and wiggle it around a bit.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2006, 02:43   #8

Town: Cowichan Bay
Boat name: Neptune
Make: Zodiac Hurricane
Engine: twin140 suzi 4stroke
iF YOU HAVE ACCESS TO A COMPRESSOR A LITLE AIR USUALLY DOES THE TRICK A COUPLE OF SHORT BLASTS. MAKE SURE TO TAKE THE TELL TALE TUBE OFF WHERE IT PASSES THRU THE SIDE OF THE LEG SO YOU CAN BLOW OUT THE CR*P.
Old 17 June 2006, 06:39   #9

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Strimmer wire from your Dads garden strimmer should do the trick
Old 17 June 2006, 08:07   #10
Now back to being Mollers!

Town: Arundel
Boat name: Mike Bravo 1
Make: Scorp
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 300
I think that'd I'd be having a look at the impellor first. How long has it been laid up? Was it properly flushed before laying up and do you know when the impellor was last changed? I'd say that it was unlikely to have sucked up crap in a barrel of tap water.
Old 17 June 2006, 09:21   #11

I bought the engine I think about a year and a half ago and that was when it was last run. She was run in the tank a fairweather marine, so I guess not salt water but probably far from ideal. I can't remember if the impellor was changed before I bought it or not.

I'll have a poke with some wire and see what happens.

Tim
Old 17 June 2006, 14:22   #12

Town: Ardnamurchan
Make: Domar Corsair
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 20HP
MMSI: What?
Tim, did you see the pictures in my thread
How old is this engine?

I found little bits of rubber and salt crystals blocking up most holes in my water jacket.
Old 18 June 2006, 10:11   #13

Town: Clitheroe
If youve got salt crystals in there then you should get into the habbit of flushing it out.
Old 18 June 2006, 10:16   #14

thanks for the replies guys.

Mr-d, i'll check out your thread. The engine is a '96 model so not quite as old as yours!

zodiac rover. I always wash my engines out after use, its just that this one is new to me so I don't know how well its been washed out before.

Yesterday I found some strimmer wire and poked it up the tell tail. felt some resistance and then a load of water came out. Ran the motor again and there was more water coming out, but not as much as I would expect. Went to ask my local tohatsu engineers and they said there probably isn't supposed to be that much coming out anyway so I reckon its fine. Just needs a real good blast in the solent.

Thanks for all your help.

Tim
Old 18 June 2006, 16:34   #15

Town: Binfield
Boat name: merlinless now
We had the same problem with our engine when we first got it as it had been stood for sometime and a guess that all the salt had not been cleaned out when it was flushed.

i found that the telltail hole would block up a few times, but once cleared a few times it was OK. its useful if you can get the telltail off so you can remove as forcing it back may mean it ends up blocking again.
Old 18 June 2006, 17:24   #16
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbob
We had the same problem with our engine when we first got it as it had been stood for sometime and a guess that all the salt had not been cleaned out when it was flushed.

i found that the telltail hole would block up a few times, but once cleared a few times it was OK. its useful if you can get the telltail off so you can remove as forcing it back may mean it ends up blocking again.
If your take-off for the telltale is on the bottom of the block then backflush it with water for a bit longer and you'll see a load of crap come out of the prop centre with the water.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2006, 20:48   #17

Town: solent
Boat name: wilson
Make: jeanneau merryfisher
Engine: suzuki df 70hp
my telltale is fine when being flushed with a little poking,but lasts about 5 mins in the solent before blocking again, the hole is not large and the smallest peice of crap blocks it, anyone know the effects of drilling the hole out a little?
last time i flushed it,it appeared lumpy, as if it had cyrstals in, and it has been suggested that it may have a build up from the previous owner, it is also warm/hot and i always back flush it first.
not that realy helps you....
Old 21 June 2006, 21:56   #18

Town: Clitheroe
Dont know about the suzis but the telltale on the yam is allways cold.
Old 21 June 2006, 22:22   #19

Had my local mechanic round today. Top bloke.

anyway, he reckons my engine is overheating slightly. First thing for me to do is take the thermostat out and check it in some hot/cold water. If thats ok, then I got to check the water pump (apparently old tohatsu 70s may have had a problem with their pump and housing which meant they needed replacing every year).

There is plenty of water coming out of the lower cooling water exits just above the ventilation plate which I'm hoping suggests the water pump is working ok as it has to pump the water up the leg and then let it come back down again before coming out of this hole. I reckon the thermostat might be stuck resulting in the cooling water bypassing the block and pissing out the bottom which I guess would explain why my tell tail is weak and why it is overheating.
Old 23 June 2006, 07:30   #20

success

Last night I took the thermostat out and tested it in hot water. All seemed to be working ok. In the thermostat housing there seemed to be a fair amount of salt and sand so cleaned all that out and gave the thermostat a good scrub.

Thinking that this wouldn't make much difference, I connected it all back up and ran the engine again and the tell tail had even less water coming out of it! Took the small pipe off the tell tail and found it was semi blocked with sand. Fired a hose through it and re-ran the engine with the pipe sticking straight out of the cowling, bypassing the tell tail outlet. With the pipe now connected to the tell tail outlet I get a good stream of water and the block doesn't get nearly as hot.

All I need to do now is adjust the mix and idle screws on the carbs.