Click Here to Login

Old 02 July 2011, 15:52   #1

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Tohatsu 9.8 2 stroke non-starter.

Went out today (just the second trip) with my 2006 9.8 2 stroke.

First time out with the engine (last week on the river) it took 20 mins to start - may have been bad procedure - choked when hot - ambinet temperature meant it wasn't neessary. Eventually got it started by changing plugs and numerous starter pulls with fuel line disconnected. After that it was fine, never stalled and re-started numerous times.

Full of confidence today for a beach launch, started it 3rd time, no choke. 10 mins pootling out to the 8 knot buoys, into neutral a few minutes later to do something on the boat and it died. Would not for the life of me re-start. Fuel connected and flowing, tank bleed screw checked, in neutral, kill cord in etc.

Drifted back to beach, checked plugs - looked OK but changed them anyway. Another 50+ pulls later it finally splutterd into life - pootled back out, did a few faster runs and it was OK, did not dare take it out of gear.

Back at home, checked fuel supply, good spark, electrics all, look OK. Of course back in the tank it ran 100%, in/out gear, no stalling, virtually smoke free.

Just to add before today's trip I checked/cleaned tank, pick up, fuel filter, gear oil etc. Fuel was brand new as was oil. Engine is virtually immaculate/brand new inside and to the best of my knowledge well maintained by previous owners.

This has to be a fuel issue but where do I start??

Five of my six last boat trips (different engines) have been fooked by engine trouble - beginning to think I'm jinxed, I sure am pi$$ed after all the lugging and inflating the damn rig...
Old 02 July 2011, 17:27   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
I'd look at stripping down carbs, given you've done everything else I would have suggested.
Old 02 July 2011, 19:58   #3

Thanks, my sentiments too - cannot think of anything else to cause intermittent problems like this with such a simple engine.

Been a long time since I've been near a carb though - anyone know if there is a workshop manual online anywhere?
Old 02 July 2011, 20:08   #4

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Will it fire up with "easy start", if it does get the carb removed and cleaned. It sounds fuel related but also consider over heat or intermittent electrical fault such as wiring to kill cord.

Like others have said though it's the carbs that need cleaning which will resolve the problem

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 02 July 2011, 20:57   #5
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Been a long time since I've been near a carb though - anyone know if there is a workshop manual online anywhere?
I have 11 pages of Clymer for it - I might be able to sort something if you PM me an email address... It really has to be a grubby carb, doesn't it?

You are running at 50:1 (TC-W3)?

Too bad about the motor. Mine has been behaving since I quit choking it.

The lough was lovely today and I managed to get her up to 18.5kts with a bare boat. The joys of a toy boat
Old 02 July 2011, 21:05   #6

Town: lymington
Boat name: red devil
Make: tohatsu
Length: 7m +
Engine: suzuki
if you find all fuel things dont work, then think about coil or coils breaking down, coil fine when cold, coils break down when hot. Just a thought !!
Old 02 July 2011, 21:34   #7

Thanks guys, Willk - PM on the way.

Has to be the carb, found a few uesful posts here too:

Nissan 9.8 outboard issues
Old 03 July 2011, 15:51   #8

Is it feasible to remove the carb and send it alone to an expert (preferably a RIBNET recommended guru) - or will it have to remain with the engine for setting up after cleaning/servicing?
Old 04 July 2011, 16:09   #9

Went for it and stripped the carb - these are super-simple little units. Took it fully apart and solvent cleaned and blew through every single part - have to say though it was shiny and clean in all respects. Dismantled the fuel pump the same but all was A1 and gaskets etc all fine. Also double checked every component of the fuel supply from pick up to the last pipe.

Have not run it yet but being intermittent I will have to wait and see what happens...

Old 09 July 2011, 14:17   #10

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
The fact its running fine then just conking out would indicate possibly coils or fuel starvation. check the tank is vented and that vent is not blocked, also check the fuel pipe all the way through to the carb, Can sometime break down and start to soften up which can lead to problems.

Try another tank of fuel in case the tank is dodgy.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2011, 17:26   #11

Just got back from a day out - first since the carb strip. Four or five pulls to get started - just got to learn the knack of what this particular engine likes in terms of choke/throttle postion. But after that good as gold over about 5 hours running, re-started first time every time (which was a lot due to many weed encounters) but ran through the throttle range very well. Maxed out at 14 kts 4 up and 17 kts 2 up. Happy with that.
Old 10 July 2011, 18:39   #12
RIBnet Supporter

Nice one Max. Good performance too

Try no choke from cold. If that fails, try the "middle" choke position. Mine is starting first pull from cold with no choke.
Old 10 July 2011, 20:04   #13

Cheers Willk, should clarify that as (adults and kids), so: "Maxed out at 14 kts 2+2 up and 17 kts 1+1 up.