Old 12 October 2005, 13:31   #1

Length: no boat
those fantastic steyr engines

Having read previous posts on steyr engines, hope I can get some genuine advice. I am looking at a boat which has a steyr 236 with a duo volvo290. The engine was installed by mermaid marine in 1997. current owner tels me he had a problem with some sludge in the engine which the engineer had real trouble getting access to and removing and has now fitted an access panel incase it happens again. owner tells me he has had no trouble since and the engine has only got 350hours on it. Should I be very concerned as following previous threads I am suddenly nervous. mermaid have told me an engineer check will cost in the region of £500 due to boat location and also boat is now in winter store so can an engineer check it properly without being in the water. last questionis having checked the steyr website, they seem to match to bravo drives. anbody know if this is recent as drive fitted is volvo, again should i be concerned. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 12 October 2005, 13:41   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Don't know about the Steyr but the Volvo legs are very good - fitted as standard to almost every 45' or under cruiser in Europe - ie Sunseeker - Fairline - Cranchi etc etc.

Sludge in the engine could come from lack of oil changes or using additives like slick 50 etc - NOT a good idea!!!

Removing the sludge depends on access - the best way is to remove the sump and give it proper going over but not easy if there is no room.

There is nothing to say the engine you buy will have sludge - remove the rocker cover or cap to check.
Old 12 October 2005, 15:25   #3

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Don't know about the Steyr but the Volvo legs are very good - fitted as standard to almost every 45' or under cruiser in Europe - ie Sunseeker - Fairline - Cranchi etc etc.

Sludge in the engine could come from lack of oil changes or using additives like slick 50 etc - NOT a good idea!!!

Removing the sludge depends on access - the best way is to remove the sump and give it proper going over but not easy if there is no room.

There is nothing to say the engine you buy will have sludge - remove the rocker cover or cap to check.
The reason that most sub 50ft cruisers in Europe are fitted with Volvo Pentas is becuase of the engine not the leg. Most non Volvo engine instalations use Mercruiser legs. Mercruiser have only gotton a decent diesel engine in the last couple of years. Where as the Volvo KAD engines are very good and have been available for 8 years or so. The earlier Penta legs were very basic compared to the Merc. It didn't have power trim and was very old technology. The later models are much improved.So Volvo had the engine, Merc had the leg. Now there's not much to choose between them and as The Brunswick Marine Co. appear to have bought most of the major cruiser manufacturers, the proliferation of Volvo Pentas will lessen dramatically.There is no reason why the 290 duo should give any trouble unless it's been poorly maintained.If it were in the water it would be easier. Slow lock to lock turns usually shows up any bearing damage with rumbles and knocks.
Old 12 October 2005, 15:47   #4

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
.....Sludge in the engine could come from lack of oil changes or using additives like slick 50 etc .....
And a multitude of other reasons such as over fuelling, poor combustion, wrong oil, poor engine breathing, poor engine room conditions, poor environmental conditions, poor engine design, poor manufacturing quality.etc etc .................... to name a few

If you want to know what is causing the sludge get the oil analysed, it is amazing what you will find out

As to Steyr engine, Mermaid are the importer for this engine and are a long established family own firm with a good reputation I trust their advice because they are proper engineers who know there busness Des
Old 12 October 2005, 15:55   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollulnan
The reason that most sub 50ft cruisers in Europe are fitted with Volvo Pentas is becuase of the engine not the leg.
I am well aware of that - I was trying to illustrate that there were a lot of them in service with little in the way of problems!!!
Old 12 October 2005, 22:09   #6

Thanks so far gents. now regarding oil analysis, if I travel to view the boat, can I collect some oil and bring it back to have it analysed as mermaid want to charge me mints to send an engineer. If I can. where do I take oil from(if this is not too stupid a question) and how much would I need to bring back. Finally who would I be best taking oil too.
cheers
andy
Old 12 October 2005, 22:47   #7

In the past I have just sent samples to a bloke I know at our local BP plant - often oil makers will do this as a goodwill gesture - for example if you say you will change over to their oils etc.

Failing that try these

http://www.expertees.ltd.uk/engine_h...k_sampling.htm

Just found it on Google - they charge £29.95 - they ask for 50cc of oil from a warmed up engine.

Funnily enough they are based in Swansea but never heard of them!!!
Old 13 October 2005, 07:49   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlowers@tiscal
Thanks so far gents. now regarding oil analysis, if I travel to view the boat, can I collect some oil and bring it back to have it analysed as mermaid want to charge me mints to send an engineer. If I can. where do I take oil from(if this is not too stupid a question) and how much would I need to bring back. Finally who would I be best taking oil too.
cheers
andy
One of these to take the sample from the dip stick hole or as is the case in a lot of marine installations there will be a sump pump already in place. One word of caution, not too much point at looking at the oil if they have just changed it Des
Old 13 October 2005, 08:06   #9

Boys, you are a brilliant source of info, cannot thank you enough. £30 for oil analysis looks a bargain to the first time buyer, (oil hasn`t been changed recently) Only prob now is the boat has been lifted and is in undercover storage for the winter. Is it possible to run the engine if its out of the water in perhaps some sort of container filled with tap water.
thanks again
Andy
Old 13 October 2005, 08:23   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlowers@tiscal
..... Is it possible to run the engine if its out of the water .......
The best bet is to close the seacock and ‘T’ into the cooling system just after the strainer or on some boats you can get away with just taking the top of the strainer and putting a hose in, this tends to fill the bilge as well so take the bung out
I wouldn’t run the engine at full chat but if you are just warning it up it should be fine, keep an eye on the temp Des
Old 13 October 2005, 08:41   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Des
One of these to take the sample from the dip stick hole or as is the case in a lot of marine installations there will be a sump pump already in place. One word of caution, not too much point at looking at the oil if they have just changed it Des
Also you need to know whats caused it not whats in it.
Old 13 October 2005, 09:07   #12

Quote:
Also you need to know whats caused it not whats in it.
Know one you’ll know the other. Des
Old 13 October 2005, 09:38   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Des
Know one you’ll know the other. Des
Possibly, but not definitely.
Old 13 October 2005, 09:45   #14

Quote:
Possibly, but not definitely.
Andys’ concern was about sludge in the engine if you analyse the oil you will see what is causing the oil to ‘sludge’ and then you can look for the corresponding fault.
Oil analyse will show up a multitude of problems and is a quick way to zeroing in on a potential fault. Equally by a process of elimination you can concentrate on the faults not shown up by oil analyses.
These days’ vehicle fleet managers are using oil analyses as a management tool disposing of vehicles early (or late) based on the results.
Des
Old 13 October 2005, 19:40   #15

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Engine: Mercury
At the minute we are re engineing some of the old Pac 22 that are worth keeping!!. The Mermaid is coming out and a Yanmar going in. Could be worth thinking about. We do a converstion kit so its pretty easy to put in. The kit comes with all the bits you need!!.
Old 16 October 2005, 11:12   #16

Town: Borders
Boat name: Pacific 22
Engine: Mermaid diesel
Turbo diesel, i note your above comment re the engine change on the pac 22. I was thinking of doing this , i have been told that i may have to change the gearing up on the leg. Can i get away without doing this on a yanmar?

sorry if im 'butting in' on the thread!

Jack