Old 26 May 2009, 16:54   #1

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Starter Motor Brushes

I have a Knacked 4 brush Nippon Denso starter (actually off a dumper), and given that they are widely interchangeable in lots of engines, was wondering if any one knew a supplier of brush kits for these ? I've had a squint ont web, and can find some similar, by not exactly the same.

A replacement starter is £300 , .. service ex from Denso UK is £150 + £30 carriage inc u/l of old unit .. but all I need is the brush array which should be about £30 (which is all they'll do to mine and turn it around )
Old 06 June 2009, 23:07   #2

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
An update .. New starters for the quoted dumper were actually £630 + Vat from Thwaites I mean its a starter motor.. not an engine

Nippon uk, were star geezas they charged £150 for a recon, but turned 2 of my units around in 2 days for each and did a very good job with a high quality finish, replacing gears as well as motor bits

Initially they supplied a retrofit, but the orientation was wrong, and the dumper wiring looms would not stretch to the solenoids...... a phone call resolved this to my satisfaction ....... recommended

I post this because, unbeknowns to many of you... you will be using these starter motors on engines that these guys cover .. Yanmar, Kubota, etc etc
Old 06 June 2009, 23:33   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
My mate used to have his own auto electrical business - he made more money from reconditioning starter motors and alternators than anything else. In fact he made so much he has now emigrated to Perth!!!

I used to give him a hand sometimes - so easy to do IF you can get the parts......
Old 07 June 2009, 10:37   #4
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
A guy who used to work for TVR in Blackpool redid both my dads for nothing. Great guy sadly moved away when they shutdown/moved.