Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 10 September 2016, 11:58   #21
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: denny
Boat name: pearl necklace
Make: humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpsguru View Post
On all of the newer Mercury / Mariner EFi 4strokes, the manufacturer recommends just adding fuel stabilizer to the a full tank of fuel, then running on muffs for 5 minutes before any extended period of non use.

I have never run any engine dry ............... with the older 2 strokes the risk of heat damage from an oil starved weak mixture is a definite possibility.

I have never owned a carbed 4 stroke, but again, it would run lean once the fuel level drops below the float valve, and that cannot be good for any engine.

Modern fuels are much better quality than they were years ago .......... My cement mixer often stands for 18 months without use, yet always starts on the 2nd or 3rd pull ................. the lawnmower is rarely used from late Sept through to March, yet always starts up runs OK
we have a fleet of 2 strokes in various bits of kit mainly chainsaws and cutoff saws and we have never had any seizures on them by running dry but we never use supermarket fuel our modern chainsaws with fuel injected lean burn type engines hate the stuff they run like shit if we fill from tescos i think the key is if its going to lie for any length of time bin the fuel and never store more than you need
__________________

__________________
breezeblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 14:33   #22
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 318
I've been using Tesco fuel in my boats, bikes and cars for years, I've left fuel in 1 of my boats for 12 months, started 2nd turn of the key, never had any issues at all with the stuff....
__________________

__________________
69cmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 14:59   #23
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,742
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
......This Seems like yet another Tail Chaseing thread to me!
__________________
A clever Man learns by his mistakes..
A Wise Man learns by other people's!
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 12:09   #24
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: cork
Boat name: yam
Make: yam 360s
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 6hp
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 28
Dealer maintained the ethanol in the fuel remains in the carb bowl after the petrol evaporates and attracts water so then you get water in your fuel
__________________
billows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 15:15   #25
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by billows View Post
Dealer maintained the ethanol in the fuel remains in the carb bowl after the petrol evaporates and attracts water so then you get water in your fuel
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 15:31   #26
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,230
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
You have to understand one thing P., we're not accustomed to the idea of ethanol being left to evaporate...

That would be Wrong!
__________________
.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2016, 14:33   #27
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,083
Yeah but Poly ain't a fan of mixing his highly prized ethanol with water either...
__________________
ShinyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2016, 15:35   #28
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Denny
Boat name: Hebridean Storm
Make: Coastline
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 130hp
MMSI: 235107505
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezeblock View Post
we have a fleet of 2 strokes in various bits of kit mainly chainsaws and cutoff saws and we have never had any seizures on them by running dry but we never use supermarket fuel our modern chainsaws with fuel injected lean burn type engines hate the stuff they run like shit if we fill from tescos i think the key is if its going to lie for any length of time bin the fuel and never store more than you need
My brother in law works at the Grangemouth refinery an assures me that it's exactly the same fuel from the same storage tanks that goes into every tanker that gets loaded there (including Tesco's) regardless of what it says on the truck.
As far as I know it's the only refinery in Scotland and that's where every dealer here gets their fuel from.
Run the cars, boat, lawn tractor and strimmer on Tesco's fuel....never had a problem.
__________________
Last Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2016, 14:57   #29
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: London
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
My brother in law works at the Grangemouth refinery an assures me that it's exactly the same fuel from the same storage tanks that goes into every tanker that gets loaded there (including Tesco's) regardless of what it says on the truck.
As far as I know it's the only refinery in Scotland and that's where every dealer here gets their fuel from.
Run the cars, boat, lawn tractor and strimmer on Tesco's fuel....never had a problem.
Correct. However once the fuel leaves the refinery, additives are put in, which differentiates it according to brand.

Personallly, i fill up from anywhere and dont notice a blind bit of difference
__________________
mikew4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2016, 16:44   #30
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew4 View Post
Personallly, i fill up from anywhere and dont notice a blind bit of difference

Same here
__________________

__________________
69cmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.