Old 22 July 2008, 17:26   #1

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
retro fitting an alternator

Has anyone set up the aux to supply power to charge the batt ? I think the possibilities of finding the main battery flat after say an overnighter a little concerning and I'd like to have an answer before I need it.

The 6hp aux I've got can be fitted retrospectively with an 12V 6amp alternator, just keen to know if anyone has done it. trying to turn over a 3ltr with a rope would be beyond me..even after my weetabix.
Old 22 July 2008, 18:10   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWET View Post
Has anyone set up the aux to supply power to charge the batt ? I think the possibilities of finding the main battery flat after say an overnighter a little concerning and I'd like to have an answer before I need it.

The 6hp aux I've got can be fitted retrospectively with an 12V 6amp alternator, just keen to know if anyone has done it. trying to turn over a 3ltr with a rope would be beyond me..even after my weetabix.
If your battery if heavily depleted then my gut feeling is it will take a hell of a long time to recharge at 6 Ah - like all day. Does the aux put out 6 A at all revs or only at WOT. Of course as you probably don't know how effective it has been you will try to turn the key after 30 minutes undoing all the work that has been done!

Have you tried turning it over with a rope - I haven't done it on an engine your size - but was told its easier than you expect.
Old 22 July 2008, 18:11   #3

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:

Why not just fit a second battery to power all the electronics, bilge etc?

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2008, 20:29   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
If your battery if heavily depleted then my gut feeling is it will take a hell of a long time to recharge at 6 Ah - like all day. Does the aux put out 6 A at all revs or only at WOT. Of course as you probably don't know how effective it has been you will try to turn the key after 30 minutes undoing all the work that has been done!

Have you tried turning it over with a rope - I haven't done it on an engine your size - but was told its easier than you expect.
I've been all over the net, , no one (including the manufacturer) expands on the fact that it will charge at 6 ah-so don't know.

I just like the fact that I could do something regarding a flat battery with the equipment I've got . The main engine starts easily,but I take your point re time.

The main engine has no facility for starting it with a rope(it was an attempt at humour)...you would need to see it.
Old 22 July 2008, 20:34   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Why not just fit a second battery to power all the electronics, bilge etc?
Yep,

that would solve the issue, but it means carrying a second large heavy battery..thats without considering the space it would take up. If a system could be installed say with a Water tight connection concealed on the transom. then the aux could be getting you home while charging the main battery. Apart from the cost of the retro alternator (no doubt an arm and a leg) for the suz 6hp,all the other items are already bought and on the boat .
Old 23 July 2008, 05:24   #6
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Yep,

that would solve the issue, but it means carrying a second large heavy battery..thats without considering the space it would take up. If a system could be installed say with a Water tight connection concealed on the transom. then the aux could be getting you home while charging the main battery. Apart from the cost of the retro alternator (no doubt an arm and a leg) for the suz 6hp,all the other items are already bought and on the boat .
You could get a booster pack used for jumping cars etc
I've got one that lives in the truck in case it has a flat battery when I get back with the boat, it also has a compressor, lighter socket and a 240v socket, I'll post a link later
Old 23 July 2008, 07:23   #7

Town: Mountainash
Boat name: bluebird
Make: avon
Engine: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedajim View Post
I've got one that lives in the truck in case it has a flat battery when I get back with the boat, it also has a compressor, lighter socket and a 240v socket, I'll post a link later

I saw those booster packs in sparesworld when i went to buy a battery charger, how do they work mate? do you need to plug them into an electric supply?..
Old 23 July 2008, 08:26   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshie47 View Post
I saw those booster packs in sparesworld when i went to buy a battery charger, how do they work mate? do you need to plug them into an electric supply?..
Basically they are a small battery with fairly high output (mine is 21Ah, but can deliver >400 Amps) that has a set of jump leads already attached - and as Jim says often come with a compressor, lamp, 12V cigarette lighter style socket etc built in. They are normally supplied with a small mains trickle charger for you to keep them topped up - but no they don't need to be plugged in to use it to jump start.
Old 23 July 2008, 10:11   #9

Town: Mountainash
Boat name: bluebird
Make: avon
Engine: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Basically they are a small battery with fairly high output (mine is 21Ah, but can deliver >400 Amps) that has a set of jump leads already attached - and as Jim says often come with a compressor, lamp, 12V cigarette lighter style socket etc built in. They are normally supplied with a small mains trickle charger for you to keep them topped up - but no they don't need to be plugged in to use it to jump start.
Excellent, i`ll invest in one of them.

I normally launch off a beach, and i`ve always had the fear of the jeep not starting when i`m down by the water and the tide comming in..lol
Old 23 July 2008, 11:56   #10
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedajim View Post

Hi

This is mine think it was about £100.00

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/189/p/1/pt/5/product.asp
Old 25 July 2008, 14:52   #11

Town: Bristol
Boat name: n/a
Make: Honwave T35AE
Engine: Tohatsu 18hp 2stroke
I've had a Xantrex one for a few years now.

It's well made and has lasted well. I can leave it in the car unused for 6 months or so and it will still have a full charge when I come to use it again. It's bailed me out on more than one occasion!

Has an inverter which has come in handy at times.

Availability doesn't seem too good in the UK, think I bought mine from ebay for around £80
Old 25 July 2008, 15:46   #12

Town: Blackpool
Boat name: Magic II
Make: Tohatsu 6.1
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude 115 E-tec
MMSI: 235050189
Send a message via Skype™ to kwil
Quote:
I have my aux setup to do this, but I also have 2 batteries, one for engine start and one to power lights and instruments. The aux only charges the services battery, unless that happens to be fully charged then it will add the engine battery. Attached is a diagram that may explain better than words.

Keith
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Circuit diag.JPG
Views:	405
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	36519