Old 10 August 2005, 04:05   #1

Length: 4m +
Quickest 25hp - 30hp?

Just wondering who makes the quickest stock 25hp or 30hp outboard?
Old 10 August 2005, 19:25   #2

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Engine: Mercury
Think that probably depends on the boat rather than the engine. Do you mean top speed or acceleration?. Most 25hp's are going to be very similar as they all put out the same power etc etc.
Old 11 August 2005, 21:25   #3

Sorry guys I will give you the full rundown. My current motor the 40hp merc lite is on a heavily reinforced tinnie which is 11 foot long. I'm in Australia and the boat is raited to 25hp but heaps of people go up to 50hp.

I've tried a few motors on it cos i'm a bit of a perfectionist. 25hp & 30hp 2 cyl Suziki's which seemed to be bretty good. A 30hp and 40hp 2cyl Tohatsu (not so good) and now my 40hp. Tried a 50hp Yammie but the tiller was too long and being in the centre was a problem. Also had a 40hp Mariner (Yamaha) 2cyl which was great till I sunk it.

Basiclly the best weight motor would probably be about 60kg and about 40hp perfect. My current motor is a little heavy and quite rough running. Also the tilt lock mechanism has broken twice (common problem I hear) I get a bit worried when I have so many second hand outboards with no problem yet when I buy new I have dramas.

The other problem I now have is the boat is rated for 25hp and the Waterways Authority is now starting to crack down on people with the larger motors.

There is a second hand 30hp Yammie for sale i'm concidering buying. I was also considering buying a new 50hp Yammie but as i've already said weight is a problem.

Just thought i'd ask your opinion as i'm sick of buying and selling motors. Motor is going to be short shaft tiller steer also. Top end most important.
Old 11 August 2005, 21:54   #4

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Engine: Mercury
What you usually find is that engines with multi carbs have much better pick up. Four stroke is going to be very heavy, so i guess a two stroke is what you after. You can get a good Mariner 30hp which is 51kg. The two cylinder 40hp weights 75kg. Not sure about other makes of outboard though.
Old 15 August 2005, 16:41   #5

Boat name: Thalassa
Make: RIBCRAFT
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 115 4 stroke
hondas i think have the most displacement but r very heavy