Old 13 June 2010, 17:52   #11

Length: 4m +
I am having the exact same problem, 1996 50 HP 4 Stroke Mercury. I was on the same path as you when I stumbled onto this. I would have changed the thermostat next as this only happens when I idle down after a long run.

When you say three items, I understand it needs the grommet and adapter plate gasket. What is the second gasket?

About how long did this take you to do? I am fairly mechanically inclined and have rebuilt automotive engines before. I have access to an engine hoist as well.

Are there any other wear issues or preventative maintenance parts in that area that I should change out as well?

I guess at 14 years the entire engine is preventative maintenance.

Old 14 June 2010, 14:50   #12

Town: middlesex
Length: no boat
Engine: yamaha 50hp 4 stroke
The 3 parts are gasket between powerhead and adapter plate, gasket between adapter plate and mid section and the grommet itself.

Have you inspected your thermostat, mine was full of crap but working fine so i just cleaned it up and put it back in,

The job took me approx 5 hours total ( with someone giving me a hand )

Are you doing the impellor whilst the lower unit is off?

It was suprisingly easy to do, i just took my time and took a few photo's to remind me how it went back together.

Also do you have a manual for it, i found that really helpful looking at the exploded views..... ( i got mine on ebay on disc for about 3 i think )

Old 15 June 2010, 00:40   #13

No, I haven't inspected the thermostat but will. I anticipate that this grommet will be the culprit though. The previous owner ran this engine at the mouth of the Columbia River in Oregon, USA. When I changed the impellor, everything looked flushed that could be but there were some salt crystals in the exhaust passages. If saltwater eats away grommets even with religious flushing, it would be prudent to change anyway.

Even if it isn't the problem, I think it will be a nice courtship and looks to be easier than the four-carb adjustment. I know there were a few bikes out there with four carb setups, but on an outboard with a vertical setup it looks like a major PITA. I suppose there are those out there that would prefer this to the newer EFI models.

I do have a factory manual and it makes the job look like a few minutes off and a few back on. I think I will have to take my time as you did and try to look for any additional problems.

I can't believe the pricing either. If you bought this engine from parts it would cost $50,000!
Old 23 October 2011, 11:03   #14

Length: 5m +
An old thread I know, but it's just happened to me!

I'm confused, why do you need to remove the mid section? Won't the adaptor plate just lift off?

The engine is off. The five bolts are out. The Allen screw has its head drilled off. The two M12 top steering bolts are out. The gear linkage is out. Whatever I do, I cannot separate the adaptor plate. I thought I was an engineer!

Thanks

Dave
Old 02 April 2012, 05:40   #15

Town: zabbar
Boat name: Bravo
Make: Master
Engine: Outboard
thanks a bunch guys
a much needed thread
Fixed my 2001 Mercury 60 four stroke thanks to this
My gromet was in a far worse state tho

Old 02 April 2012, 11:15   #16

Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
done loads common fault , unfortunutly the factory not interested i dont know now though as i have been retired just over a year very few qualified for warranty we had to beg , and i believe the factory has got even tighter on warranty now