Old 27 July 2014, 18:04   #11

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
How olds your boat, I might have rigged it when I was at Ribtec, I did a few of them while I was there, you could convert it to through the drive, I've done one with a bravo 2 drive and it's been ok with no problems

Old 28 July 2014, 03:20   #12

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Ballistic
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam HPDI 250
Like someone's earlier post, I thought there was a reason the 6LP wasn't through the drive.

I remember the through-drive water inlet is insufficient for the 6LP and it needs an additional skin fitting and strainer.

Only reason I can think of regards exhaust is turbo lag, but magellan's 4" lay flat was below the waterline. This I think was to improve exhaust silencing at rest, but surely would have introduced the same back pressure as through drive?

Old 28 July 2014, 04:03   #13

On later installations i used to run a second water outlet off the water mixing elbow to cool the drive, we are getting away from the thread though, it's lay flat water pump hose, we used that because water doesn't go back up it very easy at rest.
I've got 2 of these installations to do in my sunseeker and I'm thinking of doing something special, don't know what yet though
Old 28 July 2014, 13:58   #14

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
How olds your boat, I might have rigged it when I was at Ribtec, I did a few of them while I was there, you could convert it to through the drive, I've done one with a bravo 2 drive and it's been ok with no problems
It was sold to me as a 2004. When I checked the engine number with Barrus the engine came back as a 2003, so presumably somewhere 2003/2004ish.

I'm happy with the exhaust as is, no need to go to through hub - it's not massively noisy, and at least this keeps it simpler. Just needs some new hose!

Will be talking to you later this year/early next year about a possible deck replacement and changing the deck configuration a bit - just haven't yet worked out exactly what I want!
Old 28 July 2014, 14:00   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
Like someone's earlier post, I thought there was a reason the 6LP wasn't through the drive.

I remember the through-drive water inlet is insufficient for the 6LP and it needs an additional skin fitting and strainer.

Only reason I can think of regards exhaust is turbo lag, but magellan's 4" lay flat was below the waterline. This I think was to improve exhaust silencing at rest, but surely would have introduced the same back pressure as through drive?
Is it underwater at speed though? My hose does just touch into the water at rest and very slow speed, but any faster than that and it's on the surface.

Assume my setup is much the same as Magellan's - it's got both through drive and a separate skin fitting for water intake - supposedly the through drive isn't enough, but having it in addition to a separate pickup does vaguely help with cooling the drive a bit as well.
Old 28 July 2014, 14:02   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
On later installations i used to run a second water outlet off the water mixing elbow to cool the drive, we are getting away from the thread though, it's lay flat water pump hose, we used that because water doesn't go back up it very easy at rest.
I've got 2 of these installations to do in my sunseeker and I'm thinking of doing something special, don't know what yet though
I've seen a couple of nice installations on RIB's (think one was a Scorpion) that had a stainless spigot above the drive that was presumably a shower running off the mixing elbow or similar.

I fitted a standard IMCO shower to mine when I bought it as an easy fit to try and ensure it is suitably cooled, but that certainly looked like a much neater approach.
Old 28 July 2014, 14:05   #17

The tale is that the 315s eat bravo 3 drives so the showers keep them cool
Old 28 July 2014, 16:18   #18

Yep - I was very surprised mine didn't already have a shower, given everything you read about the 6LP/Bravo 3 combo! Think I bought my IMCO shower the day after buying the RIB - for such a simple fitment, it seems stupid not to have one to try and enhance the cooling and prolong drive longevity.