Old 09 August 2005, 11:30   #11

Town: friesland
Boat name: smokkelaer
Make: revenger
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7
Not sure how you are going to put a sender unit in a GRP tank and be able to ensure it doesn't leak or petrol seep into the laminate were the hole is cut. You are also going to have to clean the tank out of swarf. From memory Osprey mount the fuel filler pipe on a S/S plate and glass this into the tank, so this might be an option as a bigger hole would allow the tank to be cleaned out. Vetus do have a number of different tank plates for fitting into a tank, might be worth a look in there catalogue.

Or might be easier to run the tank down to near empty and then drain out any remaining fuel through the fuel pipe into cans. There will still be a bit left but ignore this. Once empty down to the level of the pick up, off to the fuel pumps and fill to full. You would then know the capacity of the tank. Use the opti fuel flow meter to keep a check on how much is used during the season etc and do a complete fill and reset the opti every so often.

Pete
I think all of the answers are inside this message.
Mounting a sensor in a grptank can give lots of leaking problems. That would still be a lot of work.
I will drain the tank with the bulbpomp and take the hose off the machine. Fill it in cans and then fill her up again. That will take a few hours but will give a real capacity off the tank.

Thanks guys !

Old 09 August 2005, 16:08   #12

Town: Swanmore nr Fareham
Boat name: Greyhound
Make: Ribtec
Engine: 225 Opti
Surely the easiest way is to measure the tank (if its a rectangular tank) and calculate the volume! (or have I missed something) - I fill the tank (100 litres) to the top and use a Navman 2100 fuel gauge with inline sensor. I set the gauge to 90 litres (10 litre safety) and when I fill up add the amount filled to existing in the tank - seems to work fine.

No need then for any holes in tank, no draining into containers etc.

Stuart M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2005, 17:53   #13

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
............. and apologies if I am stating the obvious
.. but set the Smartcraft gauges to read in litres/liters - as "gallons" on the system are US gallons not Imperial ( 1.2:1)

Jeff
Old 10 August 2005, 05:17   #14

Town: friesland
Boat name: smokkelaer
Make: revenger
Engine: 225 Optimax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart M
Surely the easiest way is to measure the tank (if its a rectangular tank) and calculate the volume! (or have I missed something) - I fill the tank (100 litres) to the top and use a Navman 2100 fuel gauge with inline sensor. I set the gauge to 90 litres (10 litre safety) and when I fill up add the amount filled to existing in the tank - seems to work fine.

No need then for any holes in tank, no draining into containers etc.
It's not possible to measure the tank. It's below the floor and not reacheble fot inspection.
Old 10 August 2005, 06:33   #15

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 10hp Yam / 150hp opt
RIBase
[QUOTE=Pete7] Not sure how you are going to put a sender unit in a GRP tank and be able to ensure it doesn't leak or petrol seep into the laminate were the hole is cut. [/QUOTE

Hi Pete,

I have just been very close to my fuel system and tank having had fuel starvation symptoms.

Have replaced all pipes and looked in the tank. Didn't find any blockages or any crap in the tank so its still a mystery

On the Scorpion the fuel tank sender is fitted to the tank inspection plate. Both the tank and the inspection plate are GRP.

The sender is bolted in place with a gasket (rubber I think - I didnt take this off) and the threads sealed with minimal amounts of Blue Hylomar.

The inspection plate is bolted to the tank. Cork gasket and Blue Hylomar on the threads.

Doesn't leak, er well, it DIDN'T until I took it all apart last night. Hoping i've put it back together properly

As long as the edges of the GRP are sealed with the same fuel resistant resin that the inside of the tank is coated with there shouldn't be any problem with fuel wicking along the fibres. - Not sure exactly what the resin is though.