Old 01 June 2013, 14:39   #1

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Oil alarm. Mariner 135

Just finished fitting an early 90's Mariner 135hp 2 smoke to my boat. As far as I can tell all the wires are in the right place. When you turn the key the control box beeps a long beep then three shorter beeps then when the engine starts there's a constant beeping from the box. LOTS of smoke so oil's getting through . Oil tank on engine brimmed & getting oil from the remote tank under pressure, initially dropped as I fitted new pipes but cracked the top half a turn as it states on the tank sticker and oil comes out. Disconnected the wire from the cap sender (blue) plus tried disconnecting the wires from the oil pump unit no change and when the engine ran out of fuel (5 litres so no grass cutting now) the beeping continued until I turned the key to off.
Apart from the fact my 45 litre tank now looks a little on the small side what's my next move to silence the beep. Also rev counter hasn't moved. Is it possible the alarm has a short in the remote ? Engine & remote came as a unit.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 01 June 2013, 15:24   #2

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Test your float to see if its your sensor also check the wires from cap to engine. Just had to fit a new one the wires had gone through right at top of cap. Also check that there isn't a crack in your black cap had that two years ago. Hope it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 June 2013, 15:30   #3

Town: southampton
Boat name: hydradrive
Make: yamaha
Length: no boat
Engine: sterndrives
From memory the 135 also have a sensor for the oil pump gear/ pump fails so if brakes the alarm will sound . Iv also had a few control units fails making the alarm sound constant due to the polarity on the battery
Old 01 June 2013, 15:51   #4

RIBase
Do not remove cap disconnect both sensor leads from terminals connect ohmmeter between leads there should be no continuity through sensor if there is then the sensor is faulty replace full cap assembly.

Old 01 June 2013, 16:12   #5

Thanks for that Jambo & Yam man. It must be a more sophisticated system than I initially thought. The two wires coming from the cap, one runs directly to earth on the block.
What does the sequence of beeps signal when you first turn the key ? Is it some sort of system check & I'm struggling to understand why it continues when the engine runs out of petrol ?
Old 01 June 2013, 17:20   #6

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlers View Post
Thanks for that Jambo & Yam man. It must be a more sophisticated system than I initially thought. The two wires coming from the cap, one runs directly to earth on the block.
What does the sequence of beeps signal when you first turn the key ? Is it some sort of system check & I'm struggling to understand why it continues when the engine runs out of petrol ?
The bleeps or flashing light is normal when starting but should stop once engine starts that's why I think your sensor is faulty. Do the checks. Another one is take your float assembly put and turn on your ignition and move the float up and down if there is no change in the bleeps your sensor is at fault. Get in the web and get yourself a manual for your engine Ivor a disc version on eBay.

Old 01 June 2013, 18:52   #7

No probs I had the values for testing the oil pump drive sensor / control unit ect ill see if I can dig um out. 1 warning tho if it is the control unit they ain't cheap. As I said iv changes quit a few due owners removing there battery's for winter and when sticking them back on they switching the polarity by accident .
Old 02 June 2013, 16:23   #8

Checked the cap and the battery polarity both fine ! The pump sensor seems to be my next stop. What has me beaten is the alarm continuing when the engine is stalled if it relies on a pulse ! Plenty of oil going in.
Old 02 June 2013, 17:25   #9

RIBase
Quote:
Checked the cap and the battery polarity both fine ! The pump sensor seems to be my next stop. What has me beaten is the alarm continuing when the engine is stalled if it relies on a pulse ! Plenty of oil going in.
That's why I think it's your sensor assembly.

Old 02 June 2013, 17:45   #10

Quote:
Sorry paddlers didn't explain my correctly , regarding the polarity I meant if by accident when connecting the battery you touched the wrong post with the cables . If you did have the polarity wired wrong at the battery you would more than a alarm fault ie fried engine harness .
Old 02 June 2013, 19:46   #11

Thanks for all the help so far guys.
I bought the engine & controls complete but I'm wondering if it's a wiring issue. I have the multi pin plug connected at the engine end plus four wires tan to tan, green/white to green/white, black/white to black white also a blue/white connected to an all white wire which was the only one left.
At the control box end I have spare a grey (other grey connected to rev counter & working) a brown wire with a blue stripe and also a tan wire with a female bullet.
Any ideas gratefully accepted as the engine seems to run ok ?
Old 10 June 2013, 08:19   #12

Town: Emsworth
Make: Mike Ring
Engine: Mercury Optimax 135
Hi - have been reading this thread and it seems I have a similar issue:

Mercury 135 Optimax, reconnected battery after winter - sure I didn't touch wrong terminal - and then went for a blast to the IOW. Was out for an hour or more before the constant beeping started. Plenty of oil in tank and engine running absolutely fine. Got back ok and did more basic checks but still beeps....

So this weekend I need to:

Check the float in the engine oil chamber
Check the sensor (normally open or normally closed?)
What else?

Also the engine trim / tilt seems to struggle to get the engine up - is there something to check on that?

Thanks for your help in advance!