Old 26 July 2018, 10:39   #21

According to specs Suzuki is 508mm and optimax is the same....but quite clearly a difference looking at the mounting height.
Old 26 July 2018, 11:02   #22

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
According to specs Suzuki is 508mm and optimax is the same....but quite clearly a difference looking at the mounting height.
The length from bottom of saddle to cav plate may measure the same but thats not to say the mounting bolt holes are in the same place in relation to the height of either. Theres clearly a dimensional issue but it isnt the 5" differeance between standard and long
Old 26 July 2018, 11:03   #23

Quote:
The length from bottom of saddle to cav plate may measure the same but thats not to say the mounting bolt holes are in the same place in relation to the height of either. Theres clearly a dimensional issue but it isnt the 5" differeance between standard and long
Old 26 July 2018, 11:31   #24

I didn't mention the bolts, got sod all to do with it. The height of the saddle is way different between the opti and the Suzuki for whatever reason and it quite clearly needs to go even higher still.
Old 26 July 2018, 11:38   #25

Quote:
I didn't mention the bolts, got sod all to do with it. The height of the saddle is way different between the opti and the Suzuki for whatever reason and it quite clearly needs to go even higher still.
I was offering a possible explanation for the differance in height. If the engines measure the same from cav plate to saddle as you stated then clearly something else is different that only leaves the positioning of the bolt holes. If the bolt holes are 1"different in height that would explain the issue
Old 26 July 2018, 11:44   #26

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
We're not looking at the difference between "L" and "XL" ?

That engine looks as though it's already set quite high on the transom.

When I replaced mine at the beginning of the the year there was almost a presumption by the dealers that it would be "XL" which it wasn't.
Old 26 July 2018, 11:53   #27

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Engine: 225 optimax
It does look that way. I’d say first think to check is it’s the right shaft length or no amount of moving will fix it

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ou...m6Y8RGOuEG6UM:
Old 26 July 2018, 11:55   #28

The transom measurement is the vertical not the slope
Old 26 July 2018, 12:38   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
We're not looking at the difference between "L" and "XL" ?

That engine looks as though it's already set quite high on the transom.

When I replaced mine at the beginning of the the year there was almost a presumption by the dealers that it would be "XL" which it wasn't.
When you look back at the pictures it does look like the opti was sitting very deep and the suzi high, maybe the supplying dealer thought it was going to be too deep to be healthy for the suzi and supplied xl as you say. not easy to rectify now though
Old 26 July 2018, 12:45   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
I was offering a possible explanation for the differance in height. If the engines measure the same from cav plate to saddle as you stated then clearly something else is different that only leaves the positioning of the bolt holes. If the bolt holes are 1"different in height that would explain the issue
Well the Suzuki saddle looks about 3" higher and the opti cav doesn't look 3" lower, could be the picture angles ofcourse. I'm talking cav to saddle, im not looking at mounting points.

Possibly wrong shaft length.....which I questioned already.

Quote:
is that definetely only a long shaft?

Looks different length than what you took off for sure looking at the mount.
Old 26 July 2018, 13:25   #31

Quote:
Well the Suzuki saddle looks about 3" higher and the opti cav doesn't look 3" lower, could be the picture angles ofcourse. I'm talking cav to saddle, im not looking at mounting points.

Possibly wrong shaft length.....which I questioned already.
I hadnt seen the picture of the opti earlier showing the bolt hole positions but knew it wouldnt be short shaft.
But as has been mentioned it could be xl
Isnt there something about the suzis dont like running deep?

Certain makes of engine can be quite a bit different ie a 40hp 2 cylinder yam mariner is 22" but a 40/50 honda is only about 19" both described as long shaft
Some data from the op is required i think, engine lenght and transom measurement
Old 26 July 2018, 13:34   #32

Town: Cheltenham
Make: Marex
Length: 9m +
RIBase
I tend to think the shaft on the new motor is too long for the boat - clearly this is very bad news and its hard to say without specific measurements.
I hope its not the case!
The new motor already looks high on the transom, certainly when compared to the Opti yet the skeg is much closer to the ground (assuming its sitting on the cradle in the same way
Old 26 July 2018, 14:00   #33

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
"Hitting the "A" frame when tilted"........ringing alarm bells.
Old 26 July 2018, 14:15   #34

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
I trust I am wrong but are you sure the Opti ( and thus your transom) was an XL ? Attached is a photo of my old Opti 175 XL and it may be the angles but it, and the transom length look different. The way the Suzuki is set up so much above the cut-out doesn't look right somehow.
I am hoping its not a 20" transom you have
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0912.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	126073  
Old 26 July 2018, 15:32   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
I hadnt seen the picture of the opti earlier showing the bolt hole positions but knew it wouldnt be short shaft.
But as has been mentioned it could be xl
Isnt there something about the suzis dont like running deep?

Certain makes of engine can be quite a bit different ie a 40hp 2 cylinder yam mariner is 22" but a 40/50 honda is only about 19" both described as long shaft
Some data from the op is required i think, engine lenght and transom measurement
if you goto the USA forums they will say they like to run deep due to the big props they run compared to the competition (mines is a 16x21 for example). i had mine as per the picture i attached before and i assume where ribcraft mounted it, there was a bad port lean whilst underway, moving the engine up fixed it but it has left me with cavitation if i trim it right out and do a full lock turn quickly...i.e not driving it correctly. i'm happy to use it this way so in my experience (limited suzuki ofcourse) i don't agree they like to run deep on my rig.

i have no knowledge of the optimax range but there are looks to be inches of difference between the opti and suzuki, infact, i wouldn't even want to raise the suzuki anymore as it will literally be floating.

my gut feeling was/is that is the wrong shaft engine for that boat. only a tape measure will prove it though.
Old 26 July 2018, 15:44   #36

Quote:
if you goto the USA forums they will say they like to run deep due to the big props they run compared to the competition (mines is a 16x21 for example). i had mine as per the picture i attached before and i assume where ribcraft mounted it, there was a bad port lean whilst underway, moving the engine up fixed it but it has left me with cavitation if i trim it right out and do a full lock turn quickly...i.e not driving it correctly. i'm happy to use it this way so in my experience (limited suzuki ofcourse) i don't agree they like to run deep on my rig.

i have no knowledge of the optimax range but there are looks to be inches of difference between the opti and suzuki, infact, i wouldn't even want to raise the suzuki anymore as it will literally be floating.

my gut feeling was/is that is the wrong shaft engine for that boat. only a tape measure will prove it though.
I was refering to the exhaust port height at rest, dont the suzuki 4 strokes suffer from poor holeshot if the exhaust is too deep?
I dont frequent US forums so wouldnt know about their preferances re height but in my experiance 1" up is a good start point and many boats can run happily 2 to 2.5" up
Old 26 July 2018, 15:51   #37

i have never heard of that with suzuki, honda yes. last tango had that "problem" with his old honda i believe.
Old 26 July 2018, 16:31   #38

Town: Cheltenham
Make: Marex
Length: 9m +
RIBase
Hi Bruce,
Did you select the engine and ask a dealer to take care of the whole process, or did the dealer advise what he thought you needed for your boat?
I can't help think (depending on how the transaction was handled) that a discussion should take place between you both as I'm not sure that the right sized engine for your craft.
Old 27 July 2018, 20:44   #39

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent Ribs
Engine: 150hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235021048
Thank you all for the input. I am away at the moment but it was the dealer mechanic who chose the engine. I don't pretend to have that expertise.

Can you please tell me precisely which measurements you all need - be as clear as possible, I get confused by the jargon. Obviously the old opti has long gone, but I can make any number of measurements on the new engine and my transom etc. I will be able to do that and post them here Friday 3rd.

I was shocked when I saw her out of the water at how little ground clearance there was when she was on the rack.

Again, thank you for all the thoughts and advice.
Old 27 July 2018, 20:58   #40

Check the link I sent at post 27

Tags
suzuki