Click Here to Login

Old 10 July 2012, 23:04   #1

Town: Globe
Boat name: Floaty Weirdo
Make: 15m bigego
Length: 10m +
Engine: Ford Alternantor
***NEW PURCHASE*** mariner 40 msl Good deal Y/N

Just bought a mariner 40 msl medium shaft , gas assist , all the controls, tank, sprare plugs and oil, its come from RNLI straight to Bill Higham , no other owners. £2040 including delivery. Good deal ??? , your thoughts on the engine and where I can find the spec for it, its not coming till monday.

serial number OP286374
model: 40MSL
model year 2004

I kept trying to go a £1000 cheaper but, "your taking you son and misses out in that boat" kept comming into my head whilst I was looking at yet another potential death trap. The RNLI factor got me hook line and sinker.
Also the reputation of bill higham on this forum helped, thanks people.
Old 11 July 2012, 06:07   #2

Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
I was one of the two people that did the final inspection on that obm before it left barrus,is every thing on the obm that barrus fitted for the R.N.L.I.
Old 11 July 2012, 06:34   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle al View Post
I was one of the two people that did the final inspection on that obm before it left barrus,is every thing on the obm that barrus fitted for the R.N.L.I.
I love you this forum, I mean what more could you want as service history on an engine, thank you. Providing its good.

I havent yet got the engine till monday, but what do you mean exactly , you think they may strip good bits off before selling them?

What should I be looking for, "dont tell me a turbo button!!!" lol.

Was the engine ok when you saw it? What extras do they normally have ?
Old 11 July 2012, 07:00   #4

if its still R.N.L.I. spec it will have ,
the pull start housing with red and day glow yellow paint on, to remove pullstart , leave all the red fixings ondo/remove yellow ones
tool kit and its storage box,
looking in on the port side you should see a lot of stainless steel brackets ,that is so if it didnt start you could hold the throttle to wide open and advance the timming to max and it wouldnt kick back and damn near pull your arm of ( it bloody hurts)
there will be a non returnvalve clipped to the air box that is to sqirt a little extra fuel into the throat of the carb it elliminates flat spots,
the sparkplug gap is either one millemeter or forty thou,
they were modifyed to a MSL=manual special long to fit the I.L.B. transoms,many happy hours testing around the U.K. and Ireland,
the spash plate was developed by the R.N.L.I. at Cowes, I just ent there to test the first one that was good as well about two hrs on a rough sea , on the crest inthe trough across the waves , the plate was to divert the spray from the obm when travelling it could get a bit wet inside the boat,
you will notice you have two tell tales one is from the p/h and the other from the carb de-icer,
nearly forgot the fuel filter on the obm will NOT fill with fuel, about half/three quarters full we had to blocked the small breather hole in the filter, cos it aloud dirt to drop into the clean fuel side of the filter causing problems,
when I tested them in the test tank they had to start from cold at the first pull, as i am rifgt handed i always used my left as it is not so strong ,read inwardly digest and there will be questions after
if you have any questions conntact me and i will try to answer them for you
Old 11 July 2012, 07:11   #5

Town: N. Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Various
Make: RIBs & Hovercraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Outboards
MMSI: Various
RIBase
Uncle Al is your man for any queries - Hi Al, long time no speak! Seem to have my head in a bilge every spare minute of late.....hope you're still enjoying retirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareribs View Post
I havent yet got the engine till monday, but what do you mean exactly , you think they may strip good bits off before selling them? What extras do they normally have ?
We have an ex service one for our D Class..... but it has had some of the RNLI post submersion 'goodies' removed....which it would have had in service..... (the bits which are added to aid with restarting the engine after a capsize /rewrite on an operatinal D class)......

See here from Tenby: This one is a 'capsize' training boat.....yours is unlikely to have been dunked if from a service boat.

Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...17306504953480
Razorbill RIBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2012, 07:20   #6

Hi Dan I hope you and your family are well, as you can see the Bar$%£rd is still alive, I foregot to tell sparribs about the two taps for draining the carbs in case of submerging,
Dan the video was interesting, it took me back to when I used to go engine testing they wouldnt let me got after about aged fifty five ,they wanted all the fun for themselves
Old 11 July 2012, 08:24   #7

Quote:
Hi Dan I hope you and your family are well, as you can see the Bar$%£rd is still alive, I foregot to tell sparribs about the two taps for draining the carbs in case of submerging,
Dan the video was interesting, it took me back to when I used to go engine testing they wouldnt let me got after about aged fifty five ,they wanted all the fun for themselves
Thanks for all your hard work Uncle Al, not telling me about my engine , in helping others help others and helping others yourself. I was rescused last year. cheers mate. Thus me buying a little lifeboat !!! Searider 4
Old 11 July 2012, 08:30   #8

Just been told by bill Higham they have to remove the mods or the RNLI remove them before handing over. Why is this? I suppose the carb fidding cold be dangerous in the wrong hands but the engine pull etc. surely that can save lives.
Old 11 July 2012, 09:34   #9

I just been told that the submerion restart technology is only patented by the RNLI and it cannot be left on the engine, the other stuff is there though. Including a reinforced shaft. Did I buy the right engine??? Now I know uncle al , your god dam right I did !! What's the chance on that, you buy an x-rnli engine , then the next day you meet the bloke that helped develope it who says you can contact him with any questions or problems. If thats not a green light from God , what is. What about the price for what I have?? Who cares !!!!!! Its a good engine.
Old 11 July 2012, 10:32   #10

submersion equipment it is only a couple of taps and rubber hose,
when we sent the obms to the R.N.L. I. the fuel mixture was set at two and one eight out from lightly seated, we had it as a strong mixture to help combat the harsh life it may have, Im remembering bits and pieces now, theprop nut is split-pined and not very tight if still RNLI spec
Old 11 July 2012, 10:38   #11

Quote:
submersion equipment it is only a couple of taps and rubber hose,
no great loss then uncle. Its def got pull start as well as electric, you can see I really found out about the engine before weighing out the dosh. I just put all my trust in the RNLI basically, sorry I meant YOU uncle. Yes it was you, how funny. What a touch !!! Thanks again uncle.
Old 11 July 2012, 18:49   #12

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury
£2040 for a 40hp! that seems like lots of money to me?
Old 11 July 2012, 19:46   #13

Town: southampton
i'm in 2 minds about ex RNLI engines, on the one hand they are well serviced and maintained, but on the other hand they do have a hard life!
but over £2k for an 8yr old mariner 40 without ptt seems a bit steep to me
Old 11 July 2012, 19:52   #14

Town: Leicestershire
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Tohatsu 70 HP 2 st
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
i'm in 2 minds about ex RNLI engines, on the one hand they are well serviced and maintained, but on the other hand they do have a hard life!
but over £2k for an 8yr old mariner 40 without ptt seems a bit steep to me
I agree
Old 11 July 2012, 20:35   #15

Town: Truro-Cornwall & Brazil
Boat name: Bananas in Blue
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-Tec 115
over 2k sounds like alot to me too, just been involved in a purchase of a Mariner 40 MSL ex RNLI a couple of years older than that for £1500 but it was attached to a Zodiac Futura MKIII HD with a console and on a trailer too.

Mark.
Old 12 July 2012, 06:09   #16

spareribs, Robby (turbodiesel) and I worked together at barrus he was special products, ie M.O.D. and private rescue services, I was marine leisure ie RNLI private endusers and dealers, just to clear that up , Iwould have loved to see Robbys face when he read it though have a good day, by the way he is good for spares, then Robby had an attack of common sense and started his own dealer ship
Old 12 July 2012, 14:32   #17

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
It is Bill Highwayman after all what do you expect they list some right old clonkers on eBay for ridiculous money.

I guess as long as there is always some plonker to pay over the odds they would be silly not to

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2012, 20:58   #18
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by spareribs View Post
Also the reputation of bill higham on this forum helped, thanks people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
It is Bill Highwayman after all what do you expect they list some right old clonkers on eBay for ridiculous money.

I guess as long as there is always some plonker to pay over the odds they would be silly not to
Aye - I can see how his reputation on here helped with the decision!