Old 26 May 2007, 19:23   #1

Town: West Sussex
Make: zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: suzuki 115
New Prop

When out with 2-3 people and full fuel my current prop is spot on . when occaisionally we have a full quota of peeps on board and max fuel the same prop is slow to plane ,poor hole shot ,this I understand so I thought for the odd occaision we are up to full load I would buy a ali 4 blade so I called steel devs next day It arrived and although I have n,t fitted it yet obviously had to peek ,All the other props I have had have had the rubber hub cushion thing fitted ,this new one hasn,t got the rubber cushion but came with torsion rods? this is new to me ,anyone familiar with these .The easiest thing would be to call steel devs but I,m a bloke I don,t do easy .
Old 27 May 2007, 00:34   #2

Town: Fareham
Can't help you with the prop, but are you putting all that training to good use ?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2007, 11:16   #3

Town: port st mary
Boat name: Orange Peel
Make: Delta
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 90
Last 2 issues of Rib international had articles written by Julie at Steel Developments - you need to gently tap out a ring off the gearbox end of the prop if it didn't drop out or get left behind on the shaft and use it with your new prop.

If it's a new SOLAS alcup prop then I've just fitted one - the 4 torsion rods (spring covered thin plastic cylinders) are designed to distort during prop strike to protect the gearbox. Once damaged they'll need replacing as the prop can then slip on the shaft under throttle load. You should have 4 spares with the fitting kit.
I haven't used it yet since fitting - should be interesting to see the difference.
SDev also repaired my Mercury prop - seamless welds.
Old 30 May 2007, 18:11   #4

Thanks Mouldy thats exactly the prop I have ,still haven,t fitted it yet but I am now an little wiser thanks ,I am quite looking forward to giving it a blast ,just to see the difference in the four blade ,when I took delivery of it I thought they had sent me an empty box, Its that light ,the stainless are much heavier .Now to dig out some back issues of rib int .
Old 03 June 2007, 20:45   #5

Fitted the new 4 blade prop ,was actually quite easy once I had looked at the instructions and diagrams,It looked tiny compared to the stainless prop I use and much lighter.Horses for courses I know but after giving it a fair trial for most of the day,I will be refitting the stainless 3 blade pronto.It just doesn,t do anything that much better to justify a 6 knot deficit at the top end. It just don,t work for my particular outfit ,Bloody props!

Aluminium 4 blade prop for sale 12.5" x 21".
Old 12 June 2007, 09:14   #6

Town: port st mary
Boat name: Orange Peel
Make: Delta
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 90
Solas Alcup 21p

Tried the new Solas prop out this week - seems slower than the original (dinged) Mercury prop at the top end - only maybe 1-2 knots - but the accelleration feels brisker. I'll fit the Steel Dev repaired mercury this weekend and maybe get a comparison.