Click Here to Login

Old 19 June 2004, 08:35   #21

Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
got to be honest I just don't think it looks right! Hide the prop and it looks like some kind of deformed space alien - just too much up top!
I'm afraid I have to agree entirely - sure ain't pretty.
Old 19 June 2004, 08:45   #22

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitkis
There were no final pricing information yet, but some rumours about 25 000 euros for a 250 hp model was heard.
WOW Think I'll buy another boat WITH an engine and all the trimmings instead
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2004, 10:08   #23

Town: West Wickham
Boat name: Aries IV
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Etec 250
MMSI: 235036477
Thanks for the great info Pitkis!

Coincidently, I have been looking at the "Scream & Fly" TECHNICAL (not General) site over the last week or so for just this type of information about the Verado engines. There is a good thread but you will need to look back a couple of pages or so to find it.

The boys on the site are primarily interested in the development of race engines and their reliability. The seemingly well-informed site administrator thinks that a race version will be available quite soon. There is also a view expressed on the site that 100hp per litre is a good output for a "normal" engine and that today's standard "go-faster" kit could add perhaps another 40%.

On this basis, it looks like a 300hp or even 350hp version could easily be achieved by modifying the "chip" - but then I'm not a techie, so I am taking a simplistic view. BTW - What's the difference between a "turbo" and a "supercharger"? I believe that one is "driven" and the other is self-propelled, but what does this really mean?

There is some concern about the long-term effect of salt-laden air being sucked into the "whizzy" bits and there may also be some sort of initial problem with the lower gear (shades of Bravo drives perhaps?). However, I cannot believe that Mercury would cap its development budget at $100m and not spend a few dollars more on finding a solution.

I for one am 90% of the way towards choosing a Verado for Aries III, which will hopefully emerge in 2005 but may have to wait until 2006, when I hope to have a launch vehicle. (What else would you use with a "rocket"?).

Still, if it has to be 2006 - who knows - we could have a 350hp verado to play with by then!

Happy Boating!

Chris.
AKA "Minty" on non-RIB sites
Old 19 June 2004, 11:07   #24

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Main difference between supercharging and turbos is that the turbo is driven by exhaust gases whilst the super is driven mechanically by the engine.

There are more losses with a supercharger but the main advantage is that it is always boosting - no lag waiting for it to spin up. This means loads of torque low down with no delay - just what you need on a boat to get it onto the plane quickly.

As to sucking in salt laden air this is just as much a problem with any engine although the supercharger will have to be consstructed from suitable materials.

Everyone mentions how quiet the engine is - what about that typical supercharger whine?

Personally I much prefer a supercharger - just look at how well they worked on RR Merlins during the war!
Old 20 June 2004, 09:58   #25

Town: West Wickham
Boat name: Aries IV
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Etec 250
MMSI: 235036477
Thanks for explaining this, Codprawn.

I'm afraid I don't remember the RR Merlin engines during the War - I wasn't around at the time! It's amazing to think that the same underlying technology has taken 60 years to be applied to outboard engines though.

Following your explanation, it makes a lot of sense that Mercury went down the Supercharger route when striving to develop a 4-stroke that can match (or better) the performance of today's two-strokes.

Regards,

Chris.
Old 20 June 2004, 13:18   #26

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Murray
Thanks for explaining this, Codprawn.

I'm afraid I don't remember the RR Merlin engines during the War - I wasn't around at the time! It's amazing to think that the same underlying technology has taken 60 years to be applied to outboard engines though.

Following your explanation, it makes a lot of sense that Mercury went down the Supercharger route when striving to develop a 4-stroke that can match (or better) the performance of today's two-strokes.

Regards,

Chris.
I wasn't around either - cheeky sod!!!!

When it comes to cars/boats etc there is so very little that is actually new - propbably the most advanced thing on anyones car are the tyres - something most people hardly bother with!

Aero engines in the 20s were running 2 sparkplugs per cylinder - variable valve timing - superchargers - sodium cooled exhaust valves etc etc.

The Caterham 7 - the worlds best handling car - uses a de dion rear axle setup - as do Aston Martin - a design developed in 1893!!!

Same with guns - theColt .45 automatic pistol was developed in 1911 - they haven't changed much since.

The 3 biggest advances are materials engineering, medcine and electronics - apart from that someone HAS done it all before!