My old boat had a 3L mercruiser. Nice when it ran ok, but allways a battle at the begining of each season to make it run sweet!
1. Had the gearbox rebuilt after drive shaft gators failed wrecking the gimbal bearing. (£1000)
2. Then a carb rebuild.
3. Then new coil and conversion from dodgy old points to electronic ignition. 4. New starter motor.
5. New alternator after it stripped new drive belts in a weekend.
6. Tilt/Trim pump failed requiring new seal kit.
7. Conked out in the middle of the shipping channel at about midnight after the Cowes week fireworks!!! (water in fuel)
8. Gear shift cable failure
9. Fuel pump failure (converted to electric)
Got a nice new rib with a outboard now!