Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 07 July 2014, 12:56   #1

Make: aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
merc/mariner 15hp steering friction help

My 2008 mercury sea pro 15hp 2 stroke came to me without the red lever and associated bits to control steering friction . I managed to source the bits I needed from a donation of a very kind member on this forum
Having finally gotten round to attempting to fit these bits I have hit a wall. I threaded the bits onto the stud, friction disc then stainless half circle thing that bolts to the outboard then another friction disc then stainless shaped large washer then the red handeled lever, only trouble is the handle when threaded on to the stud wont move left or right as the oval cutout hole in the lever is the same shape as the stud and it threads on but then wont turn on the stud. I presume it has to turn on the stud or else how will it turn the nut above it and increase friction? Will try get some pictures up this week . can anyone shed any light ? thanks
Old 07 July 2014, 15:07   #2

Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
the lever should turn the stud thats why the hole?in the lever is shaped with two flats. If the stud and it dont read as it does, doesnt turn in the bracket then the friction devise cant work, there is a greaser for the stud as well, and its a pig to get grease through, what i used to do was use a runny grease and as i was pumping the grease gun turning the friction handle from side to side.
Old 07 July 2014, 15:11   #3

Ah thankyou , that makes sense . The stud is stuck fast , will try and free it up with some wd40 and get some grease into it . I hope it is not seized permanatly and that's why the lever and bits were took off it
Old 10 July 2014, 16:42   #4

Okay so I have been wd40ing this stud assembly for couple of days now and it wont budge , grease wont pump into the fitting just comes out the gun joints. Can anyone help with what to do next ? freeze spray or blowtorch ? cheers
Old 10 July 2014, 19:05   #5

I found Warming the swivel bracket up warm enough so you dont damage the paint, plenty of patience, plenty of swearing plenty of wd40. the only other thing I can say is good luck and mind the fire risk.when the sadle bracket is warm/hot try pumping grease or some form of diluted grease, it depends on what type of grease gun you have.
Old 11 July 2014, 07:54   #6

Uncle al many thanks for always responding with a solution . This is my grease gun QUICKSILVER 2-4-C MARINE LUBRICANT GREASE GUN INBOARD ENGINE PN 91-74057Q5 | eBay

I will persevere and report back , how would I thin the grease as I guess it doent mix with water , would heating the grease help it become more viscous?? Thanks
Old 11 July 2014, 08:00   #7

I would try and mix a drop or two wd40 with the grease, unfortunutly there is no tried and tested method of doing it, just perseverence and swearing, if in mixed company under the breath.