Engine: outboard
Any luck with the engine?

Old 11 February 2015, 16:12   #12

Town: Whitehaven
Boat name: Pegasus
Make: Zodiac Pro 530
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115hp Merc 4st
Haven't had chance to get out to it unfortunately. I probably wont now until the week after next, unless I can sneak an hour in on Friday afternoon.

Phil M

Old 25 February 2015, 07:25   #13

Back off holiday and managed to play a bit yesterday. I bled the fuel rail and it hasn't cured the problem. Once again, as soon as the fault code shows up, the surging issue stops. It also all resets and starts again when the engine is turned off and on again.

I'm now convinced that the two are linked. I looked at the shift linkage and noticed that the shifter was not on the central mark when in neutral and with the engine off would not engage forward gear. It appears that when I took the side mount shift box off the other day to fit cable glands that I didn't get the cable back on the pin correctly and it was not sitting in the correct place. I've rectified that but haven't run the engine up again. I suspect that the shift sensor was on its limit of position and was giving an on-off-on signal to the engine, which was thus assuming the gear was being engaged and dropping the revs intermittently, again assuming that there is built in protection to drop the revs to below about 2000 when gears are engaged. I'm also assuming that after a few mins of oscillating signals from the sensor, the engine has assumed it is knackered and started to ignore it, hence the engine rev'd freely when the fault was detected.

I will hopefully get chance to fun it up again by the end of the week so time will tell!

Phil M
Old 02 March 2015, 17:38   #14

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury
Phil out of interest why don't you just take it to your dealer, it's brand new and under warranty! Surely the dealer that sold it should have picked this up on the PDI?
Old 02 March 2015, 18:13   #15

Its an internet bought engine and the dealed i bought from is a few hundred miles away. I have fitted the engine myself and added the smartcraft bits so wanted to rule out my own stupidity before taking to the local dealer, which is still an hour and a quarter drive. As it turns out, it looks like the issue is not an issue appart from a loose bullet connector and no long drive required.

If it persist in sea trials, i'll be off to the dealers without hesitation.

Phil M