Old 02 November 2017, 21:55   #1

Length: 5m +
Merc 100 VS Yamaha 115 2008?

For my zodiac 12 man pro, I’m in the market for a repower.

There are two second hand machines.
1: Mercury 100 EFI 40.000DKR
2: Yamaha F115 EFI 46.000DKR

Both 2008 and 600 hours with full services.

It’s said that Mercury broke away from Yamaha in 2006, and the 2008 is a newer version with chain instead of belt as the Yamaha still has.

If you like Merc because it’s black, you are a yank or whatever, I really don’t.. you get the point!

The plan is to have power, to keep cruising costs at 4000RPM down, and still go somewhere.

Which one is the better choice, of those two engines? And most importantly- why?

Let’s have it.
Old 02 November 2017, 22:23   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Id choose the yamaha no experience of either exact model but had loads of yams and generally everything they do is good it also has 15 more horses which should mean you stay in a more economical rpm band
I'd actually prefer the timing belt engine as it's so easy to maintain and change
Whilst a chain may last longer they do fail but there is never a recommended interval for changing a chain
Whereas changing a belt is normally part of service schedule so you should always know the status of the belt
Old 02 November 2017, 22:39   #3

Hmmm... good point!
not to bias the thread, that’s the one I’m kinda into too.
Old 02 November 2017, 22:53   #4

chain not likely to break in the life span of an outboard, that is why they don't suggest you change it.

yamaha have exhaust corrosion problems on a few of their range, do some digging on if the one you are looking at is impacted by that. just google yamaha exhaust corrosion and you'll find what you need to know and if the 115 is effected. it is in the correct age range but not sure on sizes.

i actually owned a mariner 100hp 4 stroke (same engine as your merc) and it was decent engine, quiet enough and good on fuel, it was pretty gutless though IMO on my 5.6 avon adventure would be only complaint.

given the age of the engines i would want the timing belt done on the yam if there is no proof it has been done recently, they normally fail with age rather than wear. if you need to pay for it and have work done you are probably looking at £300 ish for it to be done...may as well get them to do it before buying it if it is in a dealer.

if you have a light boat then i wouldn't pay the extra 1k for the yam personally, that is a loooot of fuel for those engines.

Old 02 November 2017, 22:59   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
chain not likely to break in the life span of an outboard, that is why they don't suggest you change it.

yamaha have exhaust corrosion problems on a few of their range, do some digging on if the one you are looking at is impacted by that. just google yamaha exhaust corrosion and you'll find what you need to know and if the 115 is effected.

i actually owned a mariner 100hp 4 stroke (same engine) and it was decent engine, quiet enough and good on fuel, it was pretty gutless though IMO on my 5.6 avon adventure would be only complaint.

given the age of the engines i would want the timing belt done on the yam if there is no proof it has been done recently, they normally fail with age rather than wear. if you need to pay for it and have work done you are probably looking at £300 ish for it to be done...may as well get them to do it before buying it if it is in a dealer.

if you have a light boat then i wouldn't pay the extra 1k for the yam personally, that is a loooot of fuel for those engines.

By gotless you mean slow no torque or?
And a loooot of fuel is...? My 60 Mariner uses A LOT more fuel trying to go 25 knots, then any of those two.
Old 02 November 2017, 23:06   #6

yes, lack of torque when 4 up. my boat was stern heavy so that didn't help but i always would have liked the extra 15hp for my boat but alas, it came with it. i've never been on a boat with a yam 115 to give comparison but i assume it will be...well.....15hp less gutless

that mariner used circa 0.5-0.6l per statute mile so that £1000 saved would get me 1500 plus miles "free".

if you are worried about the fuel consumption of a 60hp 4 stroke then unless you are literally flat out all the time the 100 will use atleast the same or more fuel, you need to pay for the horses.
Old 02 November 2017, 23:10   #7

Merc 100 VS Yamaha 115 2008?

Quote:
yes, lack of torque ...

that mariner used circa 0.5-0.6l per statute mile so that £1000 saved would get me 1500 plus miles "free".

Sorry might be late here but I just don’t get your last part - your 100 mariner compared to what??
Old 02 November 2017, 23:13   #8

the mercury (the same as my mariner above) is £1000 less than the yamaha....if you have a lightly loaded boat then buy the merc and save £1k. (edit- that is assuming google price translation is correct)

it was only when i was 4 adults up i wanted the extra 15hp...you may want it now. my gut feeling is though if you are happy with the performance of the 60 then the 100 will be a delight anyway.

edit- this may help, you can see what a full throttle take off looks like at start of the video with 3 adults onboard.

Old 03 November 2017, 00:35   #9

Sweet with the video!
Yeah I see what you mean- if you floored it, it does seem slightly tame.
My boat is 330kg with plus seat, fuel and gear. Guessing 400 plus engine.
Old 03 November 2017, 13:41   #10

Town: Dublin
Length: no boat
Might be worthwhile having close look at both in terms of corrosion.
My last engine was 05 Mariner 115 (aka Mercury ut with Yam powerhead) and it corroded down through the steering mechanism in the leg. It was not cheap to rectify.

Wouldn't put me off the Mercury mind you.
Old 03 November 2017, 13:48   #11

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Go for the one that has the larger engine capacity, it'll give you more grunt. CC's always win in terms of usability.
Old 03 November 2017, 13:55   #12

Quote:

yamaha have exhaust corrosion problems on a few of their range, do some digging on if the one you are looking at is impacted by that. just google yamaha exhaust corrosion and you'll find what you need to know and if the 115 is effected. it is in the correct age range but not sure on sizes.

i actually owned a mariner 100hp 4 stroke (same engine as your merc) and it was decent engine, quiet enough and good on fuel, it was pretty gutless though IMO on my 5.6 avon adventure would be only complaint.

Yeah cos when it breaks it's the end of the engines life
Google bmw n47 engine bmw thought they'd last the life of the engine too but they snap on piece
The chain runs horizontally in a marine engine which means it's constantly sat on one side of the sprockets / slippers which can't be good
A belt is pretty easy to change a chain isn't
I like to keep it simple
Old 03 November 2017, 16:06   #13

The Yamaha 115 is an “A” model and the price is 50.000DKR apparently...
A brand new F100”F” 2017 with gas/gear instruments, dealer warranty and what have you is 75.000DKR.
Then it renders kinda crazy buying one that’s 10 years old. Sweet Jesus it never stops.
Old 03 November 2017, 16:25   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Yeah cos when it breaks it's the end of the engines life
Google bmw n47 engine bmw thought they'd last the life of the engine too but they snap on piece
The chain runs horizontally in a marine engine which means it's constantly sat on one side of the sprockets / slippers which can't be good
A belt is pretty easy to change a chain isn't
I like to keep it simple
Google outboard chain snaps and outboard belt breaks, worrying about nothing. More chance of bigger issues on outboards than a chain or timing belt for that matter.

Last time I checked bmw don't make an outboard so your point is?
Old 03 November 2017, 16:41   #15

Quote:
Google outboard chain snaps and outboard belt breaks, let me know how that fairs for you.

Last time I checked bmw don't make an outboard so your point is?
My point is chains do snap which your original post insinuated they didn't .They also start to rattle and need replaced, believe me I've changed plenty . Belts are easily serviceable and changing one every 5 or 6 years isn't a big deal a reasonably competent owner could do it himself
A chain would be a major strip down , powerhead off and sump etc off
Chains on outboard engines have had a fairly short life in the grand scheme of things and time will tell how reliable they are.
My reference to Bmw was to reinforce that even the biggest players in the engine world do get it wrong from time to time
Speaking from experience of rebuilding many engines I'd pick a belt engine every time given the choice
Old 03 November 2017, 17:05   #16

Chain not likely to break is exactly what I said, nor is a belt to be fair. Get a grip of yourself and stop the yamaha cheerleading exercise.

Not likely is hardly a guarantee in the English language. The fact is it is unlikely to break as Google search will show you on an outboard though.
Old 03 November 2017, 17:42   #17

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:
Get a grip of yourself and stop the yamaha cheerleading exercise.

Someone just spat their dummy out [emoji23][emoji23]
Old 03 November 2017, 17:46   #18

Touche' dude...touche' ��
Old 03 November 2017, 18:48   #19

Quote:
Chain not likely to break is exactly what I said, nor is a belt to be fair. Get a grip of yourself and stop the yamaha cheerleading exercise.

Not likely is hardly a guarantee in the English language. The fact is it is unlikely to break as Google search will show you on an outboard though.
The difference between you and me Xk59D is I know where my big end is and where to stick my gudgeon pin without reverting to Google
Old 03 November 2017, 19:15   #20

^^^^ rattled....pleasing

Tags
yamaha