Old 31 May 2006, 06:11   #1

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Mariner on Humber

ok, have spoken to Humber,(they were very helpful) 160 kgs is the limit if i dont want to ruin the characteristics of the hull,they recommend a E Tec 90,, so i have a 2005 Mariner 90 four stroke non Efi, Brand new ,unmounted with loads of other bits, swap for the E Tec 90 and cash as well!! let me know!!
Old 15 June 2006, 22:45   #2

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h
ok, have spoken to Humber,(they were very helpful) 160 kgs is the limit if i dont want to ruin the characteristics of the hull,they recommend a E Tec 90,, so i have a 2005 Mariner 90 four stroke non Efi, Brand new ,unmounted with loads of other bits, swap for the E Tec 90 and cash as well!! let me know!!
Interesting. Back in 2000, we bought a new 5.3m Destroyer from Humber. My son (the majority shareholder) wanted bags of power (young, he is). Humber provided a Mercury 90hp 4 stroke. I still have the boat. No experience on any other RIB's. It goes well, 38 and a bit knots at 5500. But it always looks down by the stern to me, but then again, Humbers have a high bow don't they. No idea of the weight of the engine - the manual doesn't say. The Merc, and boat, are 6 years old now, so probably miles out of date, but I thought the engine would be similar to your Mariner.

Incidentally, went on a trip to Iona area a week or so ago. 3500 revs. 23 knts, approx 13 ltrs per hour. Is this consumption a lot, normal, a little? - Based on newer engines. It seemed a lot to me.

Hope this all works. New to RIBnet, new to RIB's, at sea too long in big ships and sailing boats, so starting from scratch.
Old 16 June 2006, 00:32   #3

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by alystra
But it always looks down by the stern to me, but then again, Humbers have a high bow don't they. No idea of the weight of the engine - the manual doesn't say. The Merc, and boat, are 6 years old now, so probably miles out of date, but I thought the engine would be similar to your Mariner.
Mine looks down in the stern at rest too, no idea what it looks like from the outside under way though, even worse I should think always a problem if there is any amount of wind on to the stern at the mooring as it takes waves over the stern, the transom is quite low to the water but there would have to be a tsunami before it came over the bow

The 115 2/s on mine is supposed to be 150kgs according to the book, not sure what the max rated weight on a 5.8 is supposed to be but max HP is 150.
Old 16 June 2006, 09:14   #4

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster
Mine looks down in the stern at rest too, no idea what it looks like from the outside under way though, even worse I should think always a problem if there is any amount of wind on to the stern at the mooring as it takes waves over the stern, the transom is quite low to the water but there would have to be a tsunami before it came over the bow
Yep. Mines so low she doesn't self drain at the mooring - well, not until the water's up to the forward end of the console. That leaves a tide mark on the white GRP, so I go aboard and pump her out after rain. She's on a swinging mooring so water over stern not a problem.

Cheers, Tony
Old 16 June 2006, 19:25   #5

mariner on humber 5.3

thanks for your help and enthusiasm!! im going to give it a go!! just picked up new trailer today, a dixon Bate, awesome trailer, going to drag it to the ends of the earth, so needed a good one!!should be about two weeks from now, so if anybody sees a bright blue Humber ocean pro and a mariner 90 in the southhampton area!!! pull over and lets have a few beers!!
Old 16 June 2006, 20:15   #6

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
I pump mine out after rain cos I think it would sink if I didn't

unbelievable thing - must be artificially high rainfall over it or something, the moment you see a cloud it is half full of water

Matt if you are passing this neck of the woods pop in for a beer
Old 16 June 2006, 22:19   #7

mariner on humber

ok let me put in about 5000 gallons in and i will be over!!! keep that beer in a fridge!!!