Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 04 August 2009, 19:06   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Worcestershire
Boat name: ??? Needs Naming
Make: Honwave T32i
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF5/Mariner 15
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 49
Mariner 15 2 Stroke running too fast!

Hello All,

I'm new to the forum & have looked through the post but can't find a reference to my particular engine issue. I purchased a Mariner 15M 1997 year 2 stroke recently - actually it was included in the sale of a Honwave T32 & Honda BF5 package. It was sold as not running when brought out for the spring this year.

I knew I was taking a chance on it but you have to sometimes I guess. I cleaned it up, changed the plugs, cleaned the fuel out & cleaned the filter.

It started first time so I was really chuffed & started pumping water after the thermosat opened up!!

The problem though is that it's actually running too fast - it doesn't seem to want to run at anything like tickover or slow speed even tough I turned the primer knob fully counter clockwise. The owners manual said screw the slow idle screw full in on the carb & then back it out 1.5 turns, which I did. Any other adjustment screws have a red paint on them to lock them in place I assume so I left them well alone.

Is there any adjustment anyone can suggest I try?

Thanks in advance
__________________

__________________
LanceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 August 2009, 21:05   #2
Member
 
Country: Canada
Town: GTA
Make: QS 330 airdeck
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp Johnson 2-strke
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 92
When you're playing with idle screw, does the motor respond (increasing rpms)?
Or does it start to respond only when the idle screw is more than 1.5 turns in?

1. It is possible the throttle might be stuck in the semi open position. See if the throttle cable is in fully closed "off" position. Try lublicating it with wd40 or similar.
2. If hasn't helped, take carb off and see if the butterfly can be freely be opened and closed. While you're at it, get the carb fully cleaned in the with the toothbrush and gasoline. Get you tire inflator running, set it up with the soccer ball inflating needle and get all jets and all possible channels air pressure cleaned.
__________________

__________________
oujakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 August 2009, 04:22   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Worcestershire
Boat name: ??? Needs Naming
Make: Honwave T32i
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF5/Mariner 15
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 49
Had a thought!

Thanks oujakov for your advise - I had a thought about the slow idle srew this morning. The maunual said turn fully clockwise & then back out 1 1/2 turns.

The screw is slotted & I assumed 1 turn was 365 degrees from a point on the circumference of the screw. Was I right or is it just a 180 degree turn of he screw driver?

Could to many turns anticlockwise (out) be the cause do you think?

Will cerlook at cleaning the carb out as you suggest if it isn't jus a miss understanding of terms on my part.
__________________
LanceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 August 2009, 04:29   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Worcestershire
Boat name: ??? Needs Naming
Make: Honwave T32i
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF5/Mariner 15
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 49
Sorr about spelling etc

Hope you got the idea - meant to say 360 degrees etc

Forums don't have spell check either of course!!! :-)
__________________
LanceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 August 2009, 04:55   #5
Member
 
Bigmuz7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceB View Post
Hope you got the idea - meant to say 360 degrees etc

Forums don't have spell check either of course!!! :-)
Yes it does .. top right of your post box its the ABC with a tick under it .. wont help you with numbers though
__________________
Bigmuz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 August 2009, 07:27   #6
Member
 
Country: Canada
Town: GTA
Make: QS 330 airdeck
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp Johnson 2-strke
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceB View Post
Thanks oujakov for your advise - I had a thought about the slow idle srew this morning. The maunual said turn fully clockwise & then back out 1 1/2 turns.

The screw is slotted & I assumed 1 turn was 365 degrees from a point on the circumference of the screw. Was I right or is it just a 180 degree turn of he screw driver?

Could to many turns anticlockwise (out) be the cause do you think?

Will cerlook at cleaning the carb out as you suggest if it isn't jus a miss understanding of terms on my part.
Idle screw is nothing more than the "fine throttle" at the closed position of the carb's butterfly. You screw the adjustment in - you're opening the throttle, means motor starts to run faster, and vise versa.
There is no "set" position for this idle screw. Play with it until the needed speed of the motor at idle "starts licking" your ear.
I've always cleaned my carbs with gasoline, disel fuel or kerosene.

Try doing something tonight and then post results.
__________________
oujakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 August 2009, 09:33   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Worcestershire
Boat name: ??? Needs Naming
Make: Honwave T32i
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF5/Mariner 15
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by oujakov View Post
Idle screw is nothing more than the "fine throttle" at the closed position of the carb's butterfly. You screw the adjustment in - you're opening the throttle, means motor starts to run faster, and vise versa.
There is no "set" position for this idle screw. Play with it until the needed speed of the motor at idle "starts licking" your ear.
I've always cleaned my carbs with gasoline, disel fuel or kerosene.

Try doing something tonight and then post results.
Thanks for that - i'll see if I can try it tonight (depends if the rain holds off) & post results

Cheers
__________________
LanceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 August 2009, 10:03   #8
Member
 
m chappelow's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,310
could it be drawing air in, from loose nuts or a broken gasket on the carb where it mates to the engine ,
__________________
m chappelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 August 2009, 10:16   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Worcestershire
Boat name: ??? Needs Naming
Make: Honwave T32i
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF5/Mariner 15
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
could it be drawing air in, from loose nuts or a broken gasket on the carb where it mates to the engine ,
Not sure but everything looks Ok. I'm going to give it another go tonight if possible & another good look over myself. May have to take it somewhere if not
__________________
LanceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 August 2009, 11:26   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 3m +
Engine: mercury200 20hp
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 60
when you adjust the screw rev the engine slightly then WAIT it takes a bit of time to use the fuel alredy there
1 turn is a full 360 but full in (to a pinch tight) then two out is a VERY good place to start from
__________________

__________________
AllenF is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.