Old 29 July 2012, 10:52   #1

Town: kent
Boat name: SIBotage
Make: Prowave
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp Johnson 2 smoke
Johnson J15REEA

Hi all,
Ive had a small issue with the gearing on my OB for a while now but just put up with it but now I would like to resolve it.

Basically when shifting from forward to neutral I have to push the shifter past the neutral position and nearly to the reverse position before the OB goes in to neutral.

If I remove the leg I can move the shifter properly and can see how it should work.

It's not a massive issue but it is annoying and it enables the OB to be started in gear as when the shifter is in the neutral position it's actually in forward.

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks in advance.
Old 30 July 2012, 06:11   #2

Bump.
Old 30 July 2012, 06:43   #3

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
It sounds more of a shift adjustment problem that a gearbox problem. I'm not familiar with tiller controls, but if it was on remotes it would be resolved by adjusting the shift cable. Is there anyway of adjusting the shift mechanism?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2012, 06:47   #4

Not to sure, I haven't really had a in depth look at it but to be honest I don't really know where to start.

May have a look this evening, hopefully someone can point me in the correct direction.
Old 30 July 2012, 06:59   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
I'm guessing, & it is only a guess, that there will be an adjustment on the shift rod that will allow you to lenghten/shorten the rod either by releasing a locknut & unscrewing the rod from a threaded socket. Failing that it could be a clamp type around where the shift lever & rod meet & do a 90. Sorry I can't be of more help
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2012, 07:54   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave
I'm guessing, & it is only a guess, that there will be an adjustment on the shift rod that will allow you to lenghten/shorten the rod either by releasing a locknut & unscrewing the rod from a threaded socket. Failing that it could be a clamp type around where the shift lever & rod meet & do a 90. Sorry I can't be of more help
Hopefully it's something along them lines.
Thanks for your help.

Anyone else get any ideas?
Old 30 July 2012, 17:50   #7

I've had a little look under the hood and a read of the manual and can't see any adjustment.

Any thoughts anyone?
Old 30 July 2012, 21:13   #8

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
Can't comment on your particular engine but on the older OMC Johnson Evinrudes and as on most outboards theres a split in the rod linkage half way down the leg which let's you seperate /take off the lower leg and gearbox .
Normally it's just a long threaded bronze nut about an inch long with a smaller lock nut sometimes if it's put not put back in the correct threaded position it will put the gear rod linkage travel out , even a few threads out can cause the symptoms your having .

My Tohatsu just has a bronze barrel on the linkage rod where it splits with a roll pin that has to be punched out on that type it cannot be adjusted as the holes have to be lined up when it's put back .
Old 30 July 2012, 21:21   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow
Can't comment on your particular engine but on the older OMC Johnson Evinrudes and as on most outboards theres a split in the linkage half way down the leg which let's you take off the lower leg and gearbox .
Normally it's just a long nut on with a smaller lock nut sometimes if it's not in the correct threaded position it can put the linkage travel out which causes your symptoms .
My Tohatsu just has a brass barrell on the linkage rod ehere it splits with a roll pin that has to be punched out on that type it cannot be adjusted as the holes have to be lined up ,
Thanks for your reply.
Mines the same a brass coupler so no adjustment there.
Old 30 July 2012, 21:27   #10

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
Any chance that the linkage has been bent at some point ,been caught on something whilst in transit or had a hard knock and it's sprained .
Unless you have tried it I would disconnect the linkage rod down the leg and try run it on muffs without the prop on and see if its going in gear correctly and then how much the linkage is out compared to the rest of it .
Or could it be the anti start in gear mechanism that's causing it or it's been sprained that way perhaps .