Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 29 November 2004, 14:35   #1

Town: Warwick
Make: Avon - Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: 75hp mariner
Johnson 50 2-stroke any opinions?

Does anyone have an opinion on the Johnson 50 2-stroke, twin cylinder which keeps the weight down - seem to be usefully cheaper than a yamaha... any thoughts appreciated
Old 29 November 2004, 18:23   #2

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
George, are we talking new or second hand ? and if its second hand how old ?

Pete
Old 29 November 2004, 18:25   #3
tue

Town: Paignton, Devon
Make: Chinook and Viking
Length: 7m +
Engine: 150 Etec + 125 Merc
Also does it have the VRO oil injection system?
Old 30 November 2004, 15:42   #4

Thanks guys - yes it's a new one with oil injection PTT not sure what type of injection- offered at £2695inc vat 2 year warranty...
Old 30 November 2004, 15:55   #5

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
It's only an opinion........

......but you might like to think of it like this. Betamax - VHS. VHS - DVD
2stroke - 4stroke. 4's are the way it's tending to go. This of course doesn't answer the Weight / Price / Performance issue, it's only an observation.

Perhaps some more info may help. Type of vessel and size, intended use etc. Anyway, Good Luck.
Old 30 November 2004, 16:07   #6

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMe
2stroke - 4stroke. 4's are the way it's tending to go. This of course doesn't answer the Weight / Price / Performance issue, it's only an observation.

Perhaps some more info may help. Type of vessel and size, intended use etc. Anyway, Good Luck.
Graham, you still run a 2 stroke on petrol! OK you put some oil in to but I do not think that this should become too scarce!
Nick
Old 30 November 2004, 16:17   #7

Quote:

Thanks MeMe - I am continuing the searider search saga... looking now for a SR4.0m and have been also looking into engines so as to have greater flexibility for buying - there are a few around with dying or no engine - I don't anticipate hundreds of hours a year - ideally I would like a Yamaha 50 but haven't spotted one at a good price...
Old 30 November 2004, 19:21   #8

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
George,

Try Kevin Mole outboards on the IOW. When I was looking for an engine, they had a yam 4 stroke 50hp for £2500 i think. It was second hand but had done very few hours. Not sure if they would still have it.

www.outboards.uk.com

Hope thats a help, I know its a bit far from you though!

Cheers

Tim
Old 30 November 2004, 19:26   #9

Town: Dartmouth
Tim

Am i right in saying that Kevin Mole is now a Ballistic dealer?......has he dropped ribeye???
Old 30 November 2004, 19:29   #10

Ed,

I have absolutely no idea! sorry! Might be up that way over xmas so i'll check it out.

Tim
Old 01 December 2004, 07:44   #11

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
George

A couple of things to bere in mind.

1) think about resellerbility, is a Johnson with all there history as attractive when reselling as a Yamaha ? remember boats are a vanity thing !!
2) Reliability is the Johnson going to be as reliable as the Yam
3) After sales prices, Johnson and Evinrude parts tend to be twice the price of anything else on the market.
4) Ease of servicing, no point buying a johnson with warranty if you have to tow it 200 miles to have work or servicing carried out on it, suddenly the bargains not such a bargain any more.
5) Seriously think through the 2 stroke V 4 stroke debate, 2 stroke is due to be phased out soon, will it lose it value as a resell, ease of parts etc.
Old 01 December 2004, 12:48   #12

Thanks Bilge - yes seems johnson is a false economy - since starting this thread have been offered a 4stroke old stock yamaha 50 at £3150 but only 'gas ram' not full PTT - any one experience of these ideally boat needs to be easy to manage by others , or could PTT be retro fitted?

Thanks slimtim - I know kevin mole - intend to keep the boat on the IoW so I'll give him a call
Old 01 December 2004, 13:10   #13

PTT v Gas RAM........

..........forgive the simple analogy.

Would you buy a car without power steering ?

There's plenty of deals to be had out there, you just need to find the right one. There's a severe lack of buyers around at this time of year with a whole lot of sellers desperate for your money, therefore be bold, choose the engine you want and make a couple or 3 dealers an offer. One of 'em will snap your hand off.
Old 01 December 2004, 14:14   #14

Quote:
..........forgive the simple analogy.

Would you buy a car without power steering ?

There's plenty of deals to be had out there, you just need to find the right one. There's a severe lack of buyers around at this time of year with a whole lot of sellers desperate for your money, therefore be bold, choose the engine you want and make a couple or 3 dealers an offer. One of 'em will snap your hand off.

Simple answer is yes, i have an L reg peugeot my wife drives around and it does not have power steering, we manage fine with it and see it as one less thing to go wrong !!

So the question really is " does a 40 hp really need to have PTT"

Answer is no you can manage easilly without ptt on this size of engine, it means less weight on the transom and less to go wrong, when they do go wrong they cost lots.

Retro fitting a ptt on a 40 is going to be a whole world of pain and cost, IMHO its not worth doing !!
Old 01 December 2004, 14:32   #15

Ok, Ok.........

......there's always going to be somone who is happy to "manage".

We're talking about buying new, therefore in this position would one buy without ? No. Also, I thought we were talking about a 50hp and there's a heap of difference between the two.

P D would be a good one to offer an opinion on this, I'm sure given the opportunity he's opt for PTT over Ram, every time. What say you Phil ?

Always one for analogys. A car without electric windows in the front
Old 01 December 2004, 16:28   #16

Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
Quote:
P D would be a good one to offer an opinion on this, I'm sure given the opportunity he's opt for PTT over Ram, every time. What say you Phil ?
I'd say if I'd known the slightest thing about RIBs when I bought mine I'd NEVER have gone for the manual trim/tilt version. My Honda hasn't even got gas-assisted lift. Although only a 30hp the engine is damn heavy to lift into the transit position when you approach the slipway, quite apart from the fact that I have to leave the controls, walk to the stern and raise it manually, all of which can get interesting if you've got a bit of a current running close to your docking area.

And that's just the problem with manual tilt. The idea of being able to trim the boat at sea by repositioning that awkwardly placed pin by hand just doesn't happen. In practice I leave the pin in what appears to be the best compromise position and it never moves. I therefore can't trim out in a following sea nor trim in in a head sea, which can be a disadvantage, albeit to a slightly lesser extent with a 4m RIB.
Old 01 December 2004, 16:49   #17

I agree with Phil here, it can be a right pain in the arse without PT&T, but then again its probably an even worse pain in the arse if it goes wrong!

Tim
Old 01 December 2004, 20:13   #18

Thanks Phil........

..........I knew your summation would put a full stop to this debate.
Old 02 December 2004, 07:18   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Davies
I'd say if I'd known the slightest thing about RIBs when I bought mine I'd NEVER have gone for the manual trim/tilt version. My Honda hasn't even got gas-assisted lift. Although only a 30hp the engine is damn heavy to lift into the transit position when you approach the slipway, quite apart from the fact that I have to leave the controls, walk to the stern and raise it manually, all of which can get interesting if you've got a bit of a current running close to your docking area.

And that's just the problem with manual tilt. The idea of being able to trim the boat at sea by repositioning that awkwardly placed pin by hand just doesn't happen. In practice I leave the pin in what appears to be the best compromise position and it never moves. I therefore can't trim out in a following sea nor trim in in a head sea, which can be a disadvantage, albeit to a slightly lesser extent with a 4m RIB.
Yes Phil but as you do say if you had known anything about ribs not only would you have bought PT&T you'd have bought a bigger boat with a bigger engine too........Do the mighty Honda do PT&T for the 30HP ?

I still strongly believe that what you have is a relatively quick superbly unsophisticated craft with superb sea keeping abilities, that delivers a lot of fun, is easilly towable, launchable and recoverable single handedly in any situation, its not pretening to be something its not, break speed records or take on massive across Ocean journeys, it simply is what it is and the combination of the 30HP 4 stroke Honda and boat with its reliability and fuel econnomy is awsome !!!

Now can i have that night hood you keep promising me
Old 02 December 2004, 09:14   #20

Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
Interestingly, Honda now only makes a PT/T version of the 30hp. It was introduced about a year ago, presumably due to popular demand

'relatively quick and superbly unsophisticated' - patronising git. What you really mean is 'but not as quick as mine now I've got a shiny new Yamaha 60, and it looks a bit too commercial'