Old 27 July 2009, 11:14   #21

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
thing is there is a big difference, torque with a truck diesel engine compared same size engine running on petrol , large offshore lifeboats use caterpiller and detriot earth mover engines in some boats though they run through a hydrolic gear box,,,,if you are that interested why not have a go at making one as a project ,scrap outboard leg ,motorbike gearbox,and an engine ,couple of hours drilling and welding and away you go lol .
Old 27 July 2009, 22:23   #22

Town: Manchester
Boat name: n/a
Make: n/a
Length: under 3m
Engine: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
thing is there is a big difference, torque with a truck diesel engine compared same size engine running on petrol , large offshore lifeboats use caterpiller and detriot earth mover engines in some boats though they run through a hydrolic gear box,,,,if you are that interested why not have a go at making one as a project ,scrap outboard leg ,motorbike gearbox,and an engine ,couple of hours drilling and welding and away you go lol .
Good idea. The only problem is that I'd have to do it in the kitchen in which case the wife would have something to say about it. Thinking about it, I'd better book the Fire Brigade in advance.

Actually, where I work there is a Reynolds Boughton airport crash tender that is due to be pensioned off. It has a Detroit Diesel V12 18 litre 750 bhp 2 stroke turbocharged and aftercooled diesel. Hmm, it also has an Alison automatic gearbox. Now, does anybody know how to marinise a very large hunk of American engineering?
Old 27 July 2009, 22:26   #23

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Engine life?

Saw a sticker on the rear of a Volvo Penta D4-225 stating that its "useful life" was 1000 hours or 10 years. I guess it's to do with how long the engine can stay "clean".

1000 hours in a truck is only 6 months work!
Old 27 July 2009, 22:59   #24

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Some of the old marine diesels amaze me. 300hp and yet they weigh about 8 tons and turn at 400rpm - of course they just keep going for ever.

Or what about a lovely old kelvin diesel - who need ballast when your 132bhp engine weighs 8500lbs?

http://www.sky-net.org.uk/kelvin/die...lr6/index.html
Old 29 July 2009, 15:02   #25

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beard View Post
Good idea. The only problem is that I'd have to do it in the kitchen in which case the wife would have something to say about it. Thinking about it, I'd better book the Fire Brigade in advance.

Actually, where I work there is a Reynolds Boughton airport crash tender that is due to be pensioned off. It has a Detroit Diesel V12 18 litre 750 bhp 2 stroke turbocharged and aftercooled diesel. Hmm, it also has an Alison automatic gearbox. Now, does anybody know how to marinise a very large hunk of American engineering?
just about the same engine as the lifeboats used ,just needs a simple heat exchanger ,though with the 2 stroke diesel they can stall and start up in reverse if a large enough wave pushes the boat backwards fast enough ,,and it has happened ,,,one engine going forwards the other in reverse and the boat going in circles ,,strange thing when both throttles are in the ahead posistion ,good luck mart,,,p/s some of the best inventions were developed in someones kitchen ,,
Old 29 July 2009, 16:57   #26

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beard View Post

........... Now, does anybody know how to marinise a very large hunk of American engineering?
You'll need 30 gallons Olive Oil, 90 gallons Cider Vinegar, 100 cloves of garlic, crushed, 100 bottles Herbes de Provence, 20 bags brown sugar, 50 tins dry mustard powder (optional). Mix together and pour over the engine......er... just a minute, that's marinading.....sorry.....
Old 29 July 2009, 17:27   #27

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by alystra View Post
You'll need 30 gallons Olive Oil, 90 gallons Cider Vinegar, 100 cloves of garlic, crushed, 100 bottles Herbes de Provence, 20 bags brown sugar, 50 tins dry mustard powder (optional). Mix together and pour over the engine......er... just a minute, that's marinading.....sorry.....

Never mind over the engine - my Land Rover would run on that fine!!!
Old 29 July 2009, 17:34   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by alystra View Post
Mmmm, sounds absolutely delicious. The only problem is that that sounds rather French and there is a bit of a shortage of French marine diesels. However, if I may make so bold, perhaps if using an IVECO, then 2,000 sheets of fresh pasta, keep the garlic and olive oil, but add 90lbs. of plum tomatoes 6 gallons of betchumel sauce and a spadeful or two of Parmesan Cheese sprinkled heavily over the top.

Any idea of the cooking time for that?

Then there's Gardner and Ale Pie with chips and peas or perhaps even a Caterpiller Burger with French Fries (a bucketful at least) with mustard, ketchup and dill pickle, then we could try.....what do you mean sorry? It's me that should apologise.....I meant marinading in the first place.
Old 29 July 2009, 17:37   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Some of the old marine diesels amaze me. 300hp and yet they weigh about 8 tons and turn at 400rpm - of course they just keep going for ever.

Or what about a lovely old kelvin diesel - who need ballast when your 132bhp engine weighs 8500lbs?

http://www.sky-net.org.uk/kelvin/die...lr6/index.html
Just noticed the propeller diameter on that. Almost 4 feet!