Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 13 January 2009, 15:42   #1
JSP
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,930
Gear oil change.

Trying to find out how much gear oil my Yam 115 holds. And any advice for changing the oil would be most appreciated.
If I understand what I've read on the net; Undo top and bottom plugs, drain and then fill by squeezing the bottle into the bottom plug until it comes out of the top one.
That sound right? If not please tell me.

__________________

__________________
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2009, 16:02   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,298
Before you drain it, check the level by removing the top plug when the leg is vertical. If it is low, then the lower unit may have a problem. As the condition of the l/u is not known to you, I'd suggest you drain the oil into a clean container and check for any swarf or similar debris, which may also indicate a problem inside.

A litre or so of oil should be enough and you may need new washers on the plugs
__________________

__________________
Downhilldai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2009, 16:28   #3
JSP
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,930
That sounds like a good thing to do, something I hadn't thought about. Cheers mate
__________________
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2009, 16:59   #4
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
The Yams have a magnetic drain plug so you should be able to get an idea of the condition of the box from that.

Don't bother trying to refill it with tubes of gear oil-you'll lose half of it while changing tubes over.Using a pump to fill is far easier and will cost less in the long run.

There's no 'may'- you will need new fibre washers. They are pence and a big false economy to re-use.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2009, 17:14   #5
Member
 
Locozodiac's Avatar
 
Country: Other
Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider Boats
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 18 /30 HP
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
Trying to find out how much gear oil my Yam 115 holds. And any advice for changing the oil would be most appreciated.
If I understand what I've read on the net; Undo top and bottom plugs, drain and then fill by squeezing the bottle into the bottom plug until it comes out of the top one.
That sound right? If not please tell me.

Before adding new gear oil, you can squeeze 1/3 bottle new oil into upper plug to clean interior of gearcase, with hand spin prop, to clean well gears. Drain all remaining oil out, take your time. Refill as usual.

Happy Boating
__________________
Locozodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2009, 17:23   #6
JSP
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
The Yams have a magnetic drain plug so you should be able to get an idea of the condition of the box from that.

Don't bother trying to refill it with tubes of gear oil-you'll lose half of it while changing tubes over.Using a pump to fill is far easier and will cost less in the long run.

There's no 'may'- you will need new fibre washers. They are pence and a big false economy to re-use.
Cheers Nos, what kind of pump? Have used oil drainer, suction pumps before. Must be a small hand one?
Any ideas where to buy the washer from?
__________________
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2009, 17:25   #7
JSP
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
Before adding new gear oil, you can squeeze 1/3 bottle new oil into upper plug to clean interior of gearcase, with hand spin prop, to clean well gears. Drain all remaining oil out, take your time. Refill as usual.

Happy Boating
Thanks,
I've got 1ltr of Yamaha gear oil SAE90, will have to get some more in.
__________________
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2009, 17:57   #8
Member
 
Bigmuz7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,068
make sure your old stuff isnt milky ..
__________________
Bigmuz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2009, 18:14   #9
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
Cheers Nos, what kind of pump? Have used oil drainer, suction pumps before. Must be a small hand one?
Any ideas where to buy the washer from?
The fibre washers should be part number 90430-08020-00. Any Yam dealer will have loads in stock.

I use a quicksilver gear oil pump with an 'adapter' as the Yam threads are different but this would be better:-

http://www.boats-parts.co.uk/index.p...roducts_id=837
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2009, 18:47   #10
JSP
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
The fibre washers should be part number 90430-08020-00. Any Yam dealer will have loads in stock.

I use a quicksilver gear oil pump with an 'adapter' as the Yam threads are different but this would be better:-

http://www.boats-parts.co.uk/index.p...roducts_id=837
Cheers Nos, I may be a tight arse but 25 seems a bit steep for a little pump.
__________________

__________________
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:29.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.