Old 11 January 2013, 22:38   #1

Town: EXETER
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 90HP 4stroke
Fuel/Water separation filters

Hi,
I've been doing a few winter jobs on my boat and trailer including winterising the engine, a Mercury 90hp (4). Do I needto replace the separation filter every season? I had a new one fitted last spring and probably did no more than 25 hrs at sea all summer, due to the sh1t weather we had. I have dosed the remaining fuel in the tank with Startron to prevent the petrol going stale so i am thinking there may not be any need to change the filter?
Old 12 January 2013, 06:34   #2

Town: StPetersburg Russia
Boat name: Ocean Devil
Make: Scorpion 8.6m
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar 315hp
MMSI: 211579640
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Bushrider
Hi ,
I got my Searider in Germany / France and here in Kiev I do have already 7 years an Buster XL with a Yamaha F100 and both boats are equipped with a water separator .
The Buster I use here in Ukraine on the Dnepr river where I never have large waves or other critical weather conditions - except lightnings - and we have more people boating than having fish in the water . On this boat I drain every year the water separator but do not change the element ..
I do of course also all engine oil & filter changes , valve lash , check & change the oil in the lower unít etc ..
In case of having an issue I find within shortest time somebody who can help . On this boat I also dont have even a radio .
With the Searider I use to make trips - regardless of season - to remote areas or in choppy water where I cannot expect to get fast help if I need it .
On this boat I change the filter frequently regardless of high or low utilization of the boat during the season . Before the water separator I have even installed a pre cleaning screen in a glas bowl to see any contamination before it even goes into the separator .
On this boat I try to lower the risk of having an unexpected breakdown wherever I can and pay very much attention to preventative maintenance .
Old 12 January 2013, 07:52   #3

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahoo! View Post
Hi,
I've been doing a few winter jobs on my boat and trailer including winterising the engine, a Mercury 90hp (4). Do I needto replace the separation filter every season? I had a new one fitted last spring and probably did no more than 25 hrs at sea all summer, due to the sh1t weather we had. I have dosed the remaining fuel in the tank with Startron to prevent the petrol going stale so i am thinking there may not be any need to change the filter?
It's a tenner, get it changed you tight git
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2013, 10:17   #4

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
+1
Old 12 January 2013, 18:46   #5

Town: EXETER
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Avon
Engine: Mercury 90HP 4stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
only a tenner! my local Merchant charged me £25 last year! Although it is a genuine Mercury Silverline filter. If I can get one for a tenner then thats a different thing.
Old 12 January 2013, 23:44   #6

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
If it's not rusting and not colgging up (which will be hard to tell with an all-metal canister), it will be fine for 2 years.

That said, it's also cheap(ish) insurance to change it every year.

jky