Boat name: Seadrive
Make: Capelli Tempest 470
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF70
MMSI: 235079113
Fuel filter problem

I have recently installed a cartridge type fuel filter/water separator
like this:
PETROL FUEL / WATER SEPARATOR ASSY CAV 296 FILTER SUIT MARINE BOAT GARAGE ETC | eBay

but since doing this I am having fuel flow problems to the engine after a few days of non use. It would seem that any fuel in the fuel line between the filter and the primer bulb is running back into the filter. The primer bulb is inline between the filter and engine (fitted in the correct flow direction) and appears not to be able to suck fuel from the filter to re-prime the fuel line to the engine.

I never had any of these problems before fitting the filter and in fact never really had to use the primer bulb at all.

I suppose my question is : should the primer bulb be on the engine side or the tank side of the filter? or should it matter? Anything else to look out for?

Thanks
Old 04 November 2015, 06:25   #2

Town: Redditch
Boat name: Hydra
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: TWINS
Mine is fitted engine side, sounds as though you have an air leak at one of the barbels, did you use ptfe tape on the screw in barbles?

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
Old 04 November 2015, 15:59   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Recommendations I've seen usually advise not to use PTFE tape on fuel lines, as the slivers of tape may get into the lines. Use a putty type sealant for fuel barbs.

To the OP, I agree with Jamie; it sounds as if you've got a small leak somewhere. I run a Racor filter, and the only time I need to pump the bulb is after changing the canister. That includes having the boat sit for several months between runs.

jky
Old 04 November 2015, 16:11   #4

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by longjohn View Post
I have recently installed a cartridge type fuel filter/water separator
like this:
PETROL FUEL / WATER SEPARATOR ASSY CAV 296 FILTER SUIT MARINE BOAT GARAGE ETC | eBay

but since doing this I am having fuel flow problems to the engine after a few days of non use. It would seem that any fuel in the fuel line between the filter and the primer bulb is running back into the filter. The primer bulb is inline between the filter and engine (fitted in the correct flow direction) and appears not to be able to suck fuel from the filter to re-prime the fuel line to the engine.

I never had any of these problems before fitting the filter and in fact never really had to use the primer bulb at all.

I suppose my question is : should the primer bulb be on the engine side or the tank side of the filter? or should it matter? Anything else to look out for?

Thanks
I would say you should put tank, bulb, filter ,engine because the bulb hasn't the pull for the large air gap in the filter also some bulbs do let fuel back into the tank especially cheap bulbs the non return valves aren't that good.I bet you would find if you lift the tank higher that the engine the lines will fill, take one fuel end off and pressurise with a bike pump to cheat for leaks as well. My set up was that way no probs.

Cheers
Old 04 November 2015, 16:30   #5

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
I use white Permetex fuel rated hardening sealant on all threads.

Barbs are coated in a black non-hardening sealant (Permetex number 2 black) then are clamped with marine grade clamps.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 November 2015, 23:05   #6

Town: Bournemouth
Boat name: Seadrive
Make: Capelli Tempest 470
Engine: Suzuki DF70
MMSI: 235079113
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
I would say you should put tank, bulb, filter ,engine because the bulb hasn't the pull for the large air gap in the filter also some bulbs do let fuel back into the tank especially cheap bulbs the non return valves aren't that good.I bet you would find if you lift the tank higher that the engine the lines will fill, take one fuel end off and pressurise with a bike pump to cheat for leaks as well. My set up was that way no probs.

Cheers
Thanks - will try the bulb on the tank side. Not an option to have the tank higher as its built in.
Old 06 November 2015, 07:05   #7

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by longjohn View Post
Thanks - will try the bulb on the tank side. Not an option to have the tank higher as its built in.
also make sure your bulb in vertical when pumping arrow facing up as sometimes the non return doesn't seat and you don't get anywhere,couple of pics of mine not easy to see but you will get the idea bulbs tucked between the main and reserve tanks so you pull out to pump.

cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pics of all aspects of the boat 013 water seperator.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	109577   Click image for larger version

Name:	pics of all aspects of the boat 015 showing all tanks range approx 250 miles.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	109578