Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28 May 2008, 09:29   #11
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Methanol poisoning is usually a result of the methanol being metabolized into some fairly nasty by-products. Small amounts of methanol can be broken down by the body and excreted without too much damage.

Ethyl alcohol and methyl alcohol are seen by the body as being very similar.

By treating with ethyl alcohol (vodka or whiskey above), you are essentially diluting the amount of methanol per unit time that the liver and kidneys process. This drops the resulting toxins below the fatal threshhold. Hopefully.


Why not just drink more Methanol then?

codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 June 2008, 05:28   #12
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,840
Another Wales v USA hijacking load of bollox! The guy asked about flushing his boat with Anti-freeze not drinking the bloody stuff!

Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:48.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.