Old 13 December 2003, 18:55   #1

Town: Bromsgrove
Boat name: Kick-Ass !
Make: PAC/Artic 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 250hp Yamaha
fighting steering !!

took me newly purchased rib out 2 day.. bloody luvly job
6.2mtr northcraft with 135hp mariner hydraulic steering.

under load all the weight is on right hand side off the steering having to hold her on course got arms like garf @ the mo..just curious what is at fault. as the engine has been on there from new so like to think its been off set correctly from day one.by the dealer... am i looking for a slight imcrement on adjustable fin on leg?
wondering if ive put it back straight and it wasnt to start with... as ive changed the water impeller...
any elp much appreciated couldnt handle that all day on a cruise ard graft it is...
many thanx in advance nueg:
Old 13 December 2003, 20:54   #2

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Nugent, the engine should be offset slightly to the Starboard by 1" per 100 hp so 1.35 max for you to counter the touque from the single prop which will tend to make the boat run on one side if the engine is central and the LWL short in comparison to the beam and draft. On a long LWL you can get away with a centre position. We recently moved my offset engine back onto the centre line (Ribtec 6.5m) and the handling is better.

However there is another adjustment for the steering which I think is your problem. At the back of the engine is the trim anode. It can be offset to counter the steering touque from the prop going around in one direction. What happens is the water flow over the tab turns the engine slightly whilst the boat goes in a straight line. Adjustment is in small amounts like 5 degrees at a time and you need to work out which way to turn it. Finally it will only work at one speed so choose to do the adjusting and testing at a good cruising speed. Chances are this hasn't been set up by the dealer or previous owner.

You don't have hydraulic steering either if you can feel the touque. might be a good option on a 135 hp motor, and the girls will thank you for it as well cos its easy for them to turn, (the wheel that is ).

Pete
Old 14 December 2003, 11:31   #3

thanx again pete its as if we know each other allready...

will take a look @ it l8tr on but with what i remember its defo hydraulic steering, comes off the wheel in console to some remote thingy. that then turns the cable in and out at the engine end,, i have ony ever had the normal teleflex steering on any other boat ive ever owned,, this is different for sure going for a nother butchers would explain it if it wasnt hydraulic.. as its a little hard graft.... nueg
Old 14 December 2003, 14:35   #4

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
hydraulic steering, comes off the wheel in console to some remote thingy. that then turns the cable in and out at the engine end
Good grief, this is either a very expensive system or very nasty. Nothing like making thing complicated. Would love to see the pics.

John Harvey had some wonderful pressurised haydraulic system on a rib, just looked overly complicated to most of use. He is not far from you.

http://www.tlharvey.com/marine/index.htm

Pete
Old 14 December 2003, 15:59   #5

will take some 2 morrow and post.... looks like am going to be ordering a kit in the morning after all the boat did come @ the right price any roads so well worth a likkle more investment me finks