Old 16 August 2004, 19:41   #1

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Obsession
Make: ORKNEY PILOTHOUSE 20
Length: 6m +
Engine: SUZUKI 70
MMSI: 235024496
Evinrude Ficht Question

Just fitted Ficht 90,and whilst setting it up on a laptop we accidently reset the computer so the engine thinks it's running in again.It's hunting at normal cruising rev's 3000-5000 and ok when going hard.I've been told that extra oil go's in when running in,would this extra oil make it hunt??? Any thoughts anybody.
Old 16 August 2004, 21:17   #2

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Hunting

Air induction leaks where the air cowling couples to the throttle inlets. will cause this, check throttle settings, go into diagnostics see what your tps throttle position sensor voltage is at idle, it should be almost zero, to be honest fichts and good plugs are really important, xc12pepb every 100 hours, they also should be properly gapped .030" before our last plug change we had a rough idle, after the change, purred like kittens, are the plugs exactly indexed as per 15 degrees either side of injector, this is really important, in fact so important its unbelieveable the difference it makes,
follow the instructions here

http://www.boatsetup.com/PlgIndex.pdf
With regard to indexing, does the hunting go out of it as the motor warms?
You have three possibilities here, if I were a betting man I would change the plugs

www.sparkplugs.com

approx 5 dollars apiece order 6, 2 extra for indexing
How many hours are on the motor and you absolutly must run ficht ram oil or xd 50 its a cut above standard tcw3 with decarbing additives to keep exhaust sensors, and injection system free of carbon

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2004, 07:50   #3
TIM

Boat name: WIZARD
Make: REDBAY 7.4
Engine: OPTI 225
How many hours, have you done since , you reset the computer ????

there is 10 hours of the 'extra oil' , and I have heard of a fichts running rough when been run in again.... if the problem persists after 15hrs I would start looking deeper

Fichts like been driven hard, they seem to run better, so dont spare the horses..... and the engine you have is almost bullet prof...
Old 17 August 2004, 20:18   #4

Thanks for advice,useing proper oil,engine has only done about 1 hour since being reset.Plugs have done about 30 hours,I intend to run it for 10 hours over the week-end and see if it gets any better if not will have it serviced and plug change as it is coming up to 100 hrs total use.
Old 19 August 2004, 19:23   #5

I think I've found the problem,the throttle linkage running across the inlets was catching the air box and getting stuck.Will try this week-end and find out if it was that or not.Thanks again for the helpfull advice.
Old 20 August 2004, 08:35   #6
TIM

Boat name: WIZARD
Make: REDBAY 7.4
Engine: OPTI 225
That could do it too!!!!!
Old 22 August 2004, 07:06   #7
RIBnet supporter

Town: Lymington Hampshire
Boat name: Hot Lemon
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
MMSI: 235
115 Ficth

I am interested in your comments about the spark plugs and also the de carbing issue . I have a 115 2001 model which has been serviced according to the book by the supplying dealer . It has never missed a beat and performs very well .We use it a lot mostly at top end of rev range .We run it on Quicksilver Optimax oil as there is no local supply of Evinrude. I am now worried about decarbing as I seem to read a lot about this .How can I tell if it needs it or is a case of leave well alone if it aint broke etc ? Any suggestions ?
Old 22 August 2004, 07:57   #8

Hi Lurcher,what a great engine the Ficht is,I have now sorted the problem I had, it was the linkage on the throttle catching on the air box.I tried it Saturday and she really flys now.As for the Ficht Ram Oil.you must use this oil on the Ficht as it not only cleans, it will also invalidate your warranty if it is not used.(Only a sales Ploy really I expect but there you go)
As for the spark plugs they also have to be fitted in the correct way,it's not a case of just taking out the old one and screwing in the new.If you look at the previous post on this thread there is some great diagrams of how to fit them correctly.I hope this is of some help?.If you need some Ram Oil there are several web sites that you can order from on line.
Try www.seamarknunn.co.uk they keep it in stock.
Old 22 August 2004, 10:29   #9

Town: St Davids
Boat name: 6 vessels -various
Make: Quinquari/Humber
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin ETEC200s
Ficht/DI

A few more pointers for you

1. The air manifold/linkage problem is common. The solution is that after fitting the manifold and then tightening up up the two screw bolts they must be slackened by 1/2 turn and the cowling pulled back.

2. Whilst in that linkage zone make sure it is well lubricated and durring the winter manually move once or twice as they can become stuck. Also the base of the plastic manifold has a sharpish edge and if not fitted well can rub on the main oil inlet. When the manifold is removed always have a quick inspection of the pipes for wear.

3. RAM/DI oil has now been rebadged as HD50 but is the same oil. It does contain a decarb and so does the Quicksilver Premium Plus which can be considered as an equivalent. Do note that the DI oil is only suitable for down to 0 degrees C and below this as the viscosity increases your alarms may sound . An alternative oil may be required for very cold winter use.

4. If you really want to protect against carbon (which can overheat and cook a piston) then use Evinrude engine tunner every 100 hours. Costs only a few £ and is worth every penny. We insist all of our boats are treated between each 80-100 hours. Tunner available from any agent.

5. The time use of plugs is equally important. Dont wait till they start running rough. Change again at 80 to 100 hours. Engine will run better, last longer and fuel use will be at its best.

Like most modern engines they are superb if looked after and should easily achieve 1500 hours of happy boating.

There is often a moan about plug hours and engine hour life. Equate it to a car. Say a car requires servicing at 12000 miles. Driving at 60mph that is 200 hours. Your Ficht plugs like the car will do 200hours but like a performance car it will hugely benefit from an earlier plug change.

Ditto for engine life - a car having done 1500hours at 60mph will have 90k on the clock and it may go on for another 1500 hours or could reasonably be deemed at the engine of its safe and efficent life !

Cheers

John
www.quinquari.co.uk
Old 22 August 2004, 19:02   #10

Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Engine: 225 optimax
Oil

The oil replacing Ficht oil is XD50 , apart from containing carb X it is recommended by Evinrude, I have not been able to have any Dealer or Techie, agree that Quicksilver Premium Plus is okay for Fichts, even if I suspect otherwise, Jets Marvient also wont come out and say this, I think it is vital to run the XD50 and I wouldnt take Premium Plus as an equavilient, saying this there are some posts on www.boatsetup.com about oils used when OMC were bought over by Bombardier, and Ficht Ram wasnt available for a couple of months, apart from the obvious carboning up of an engine, pistons etc, the worry with Fichts is blocking up exhaust pressure sensors, this is why they recommend the correct oil with the Carb X additive in it.If you are worried about carbon build up, follow the articles section on www.boatsetup.com and use the decarb cleaner p/n
771299 peroidically, its good to run the motors at higher rpm, keeps them free of build up, I have no doubt the Quicksilver is good stuff, but try to get some XD50 cheers gavin

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2004, 20:16   #11

I Found the main oil pipe had been rubbing when I fitted the engine, bit of a bad design if you ask me.I put a length of oversized pipe over it.Thanks for you comments on plugs and the engine tuner,I will get some for it as it is coming up for 100 hrs shortly.It will be having a full service,well plugs and gear box oil change,and a new impeller while there at it, just in case of an early failure.