Click Here to Login

Old 22 July 2019, 09:22   #1

Town: Sheffield
Boat name: zodiac yachtline 420
Make: zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 4 st yamaha 40hp
evil two stroke ??? can i legit use?

newbie roy is confused???...nothing new!!

ive a 3.6.m zoom with a 9.9 suzuki 4 stroke...and yes the motor is good...but with three adults on board it planes but is no show stopper as far as getting watery eyes when at full tilt!!

Ive looked at the info on blinging up the 9.9 to 15 but it involves scarry strip down / new carb and jetting etc...ive done it with a car engine in my youth but dont want to compromise a perfect 9.9engine

its a very shinny 2008 and has two scratches on it and about 50 hrs run time so what to do???

Ive seen a 20 hp parsun 2 STROKE and it indicated not for leisure use....its as light as me suzuki and 2 x power.....can i ...should I GET IT?

I am thinking of a part ex the 9.9..........

or should i part ex it against a 4 St parsun

ANY advice tips pitfalls etc would be mucho appreciated
Old 22 July 2019, 09:53   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>can i ...should I GET IT?

No!!! There are some... very few... who have owned a Parsun outboard on here and defended them as OK. But the general view is they are very poor besides any of the "proper" makers such as Mercury/Mariner, Tohatsu, Yamaha, Suzuki etc. They are Chinese clones of other makers models... for example their 15hp 2-stroke is a clone of my 2003 Yamaha 15hp. I'd rather my 16yr old Yamaha than a new Parsun.

Re the use of 2-strokes they were legally sold until 2006/7 but are still available new now if you have headed paper to say you have a business that would require an outboard. There is no restriction on the use of an older legally purchased 2-stroke.

You mention at the end p/exing for a Parson 4-stroke. Apart from the usual Parsun warnings I'd add that they are gut bustingly heavy at 52kg.

Probably the only person who will 100% advise a Parsun is someone selling one!

For the use you mentioned in your first post a 15hp will be quite sufficient. If you were to buy a pre-2007 2-stroke they are a far more manageable 35/36kg. If you want a newer or brand new 4-stroke OB then there is a slight dilemma in that the 15hp and 20hp models weigh the same at around 44/46kg for the latest Efi designs so apart from the cost issue there is no other reason not to get the larger hp.
Old 22 July 2019, 10:00   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Re the upgrade to take yours to a 15hp have a look at recent posts on this thread where Paul Bailey says what was needed to do his... sounded simple??

http://www.rib.net/forum/f64/hi-all-81893.html

Particularly posts #5 and #6.
Old 22 July 2019, 10:37   #4

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by roydavies View Post
newbie roy is confused???...nothing new!!

ive a 3.6.m zoom with a 9.9 suzuki 4 stroke...and yes the motor is good...but with three adults on board it planes but is no show stopper as far as getting watery eyes when at full tilt!!

Ive looked at the info on blinging up the 9.9 to 15 but it involves scarry strip down / new carb and jetting etc...ive done it with a car engine in my youth but dont want to compromise a perfect 9.9engine

its a very shinny 2008 and has two scratches on it and about 50 hrs run time so what to do???

Ive seen a 20 hp parsun 2 STROKE and it indicated not for leisure use....its as light as me suzuki and 2 x power.....can i ...should I GET IT?

I am thinking of a part ex the 9.9..........

or should i part ex it against a 4 St parsun

ANY advice tips pitfalls etc would be mucho appreciated

I wouldn’t have an issue using a 2 stroke, I would have an issue with the Parsun.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 11:03   #5

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I wouldn’t have an issue using a 2 stroke, I would have an issue with the Parsun.

[emoji106]

I use a few 2 strokes, I wouldn’t use a Parsun regardless of the stroke ....