Old 24 August 2014, 05:44   #1

Town: Bookham
Make: Ballistic 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude 150 etec
Etec flywheel problems

Hi, I'm after some advise on my Etec 150 flywheel magnets.
Having discovered that the magnets had all corroded and some had smashed, I was very kindly given a second hand one by my etec guy, Mark, at Trafalgar Wharf (highly recommended), which although was in similar condition, it's magnets although were unstuck and moved, were all in one piece!
I set about cleaning my original flywheel and magnets, and then reset the magnets, some from my flywheel and some from the donated one.
After respraying and cleaning, all looked good. Replaced flywheel and tried to start engine, won't fire up at all! After much head scratching, I took the boat back to Mark, and he discovered having swapped out the flywheel with another, engine started fine, that the magnets were incorrectly positioned. I did note that at the time of gluing the magnets onto the flywheel, some were attracted to each other and some were rappelled, but obviously, all were happy to stick to the flywheel.
I am now the the position that I have taken the flywheel off again, removed all the magnets and wondering where to go from here.
I have a total of 25 whole magnets which the flywheel requires 18, but I don't know how to work out the correct polarity for the set up!
A very long intro thread, sorry, but I needed to get all the information out there!!
Any ideas apart from biting the bullet and ordering a new one!
Old 24 August 2014, 08:07   #2

Town: Stornoway
Make: Scorpion 8.1 mk2
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yamaha F300
How much is a new Flywheel?

Would you really trust glued in Magnets at 5500rpm when you are crashing of waves 50nm from land? I think it would always be a worry in the back of my mind....
Old 24 August 2014, 08:40   #3

Town: Chorley / Holyhead
Boat name: Northwind Challenger
Make: Tornado
Engine: Mariner 115 efi CT
MMSI: 235080598
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Festinghouse
well they are glued from the factory so as long as its decent stuff then it should be fine, also the spinning force of the flywheel should be forcing them into place rather than trying to throw them off. my merc flywheel only has 4 magnets from memory, and i think they are alternate north and south poles
Old 24 August 2014, 10:31   #4

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejordan View Post
Hi, I'm after some advise on my Etec 150 flywheel magnets.
Having discovered that the magnets had all corroded and some had smashed, I was very kindly given a second hand one by my etec guy, Mark, at Trafalgar Wharf (highly recommended), which although was in similar condition, it's magnets although were unstuck and moved, were all in one piece!
I set about cleaning my original flywheel and magnets, and then reset the magnets, some from my flywheel and some from the donated one.
After respraying and cleaning, all looked good. Replaced flywheel and tried to start engine, won't fire up at all! After much head scratching, I took the boat back to Mark, and he discovered having swapped out the flywheel with another, engine started fine, that the magnets were incorrectly positioned. I did note that at the time of gluing the magnets onto the flywheel, some were attracted to each other and some were rappelled, but obviously, all were happy to stick to the flywheel.
I am now the the position that I have taken the flywheel off again, removed all the magnets and wondering where to go from here.
I have a total of 25 whole magnets which the flywheel requires 18, but I don't know how to work out the correct polarity for the set up!
A very long intro thread, sorry, but I needed to get all the information out there!!
Any ideas apart from biting the bullet and ordering a new one!
I seem to recall Steve Hall had this issue (Etec 175hp?) approx 6 months ago and solved it. I'm sure he'll be along soon....

Co-incidentally, he runs a Ballistic 6.5 too.
Old 24 August 2014, 14:38   #5

All Fixed!!

We mapped each magnet so that they all attracted on each vertical edge, whacked it back down and bingo, runs like new, very very happy days.
Many thanks for all your help, now consider myself an expert on Etec flywheels!!
Old 24 August 2014, 19:08   #6

Town: Lancs
Boat name: Beretta
Make: Ballistic
Engine: 175hp e-tec
MMSI: 235035778
RIBase
Just seen this, yeah I had the same problems with my e-tec, and I was not as lucky as you! I needed a new flywheel at about £700 if i remember correctly.

I had a few magnets that had smashed, and some more that had moved and although I attempted a home refurbish I could not get it running 100% - so did not want to run it.
https://www.facebook.com/rib.beretta/
SteveHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2014, 10:55   #7

Thanks Steve, I had seen your thread whilst at that was current. Ouch £700, and that was with you fitting yourself!!

I've been meaning to add to your thread with regard to trailers on the ballistic 6.5

I've now had three, broken two, and now have such an overspec'd chassis and axle, that it should last me out!
I'm not convince that the overall weight of 1250kg that claimed is correct.

With my second trailer, I filled the tank up, loaded up with a small outboard & tender ( probably around 60kg total) and took it down to a public weigh-bridge and it came in at 1680 kg, which is a lot more than stated.

My current one, the chassis is spec'd to 2100, with a 1800 axle. I threw away the alko axle and got Indespension to build me another one with user friendly tapered bearings rather than the sealed for grief type.
So far so good! Will send you a picture when I can if your interested.
Old 25 August 2014, 11:43   #8

RIBase
Yes please!

I would really like a new tiwn trailer due to all the towing I do - but this will have to wait a few years I think so I can save up.

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
Old 25 August 2014, 14:03   #9

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Couldn't you add a 2nd axle to current trailer ? No need for brakes on 2nd axle either - I've seen this done before.
Old 25 August 2014, 14:22   #10

RIBase
I could, but generally it feels a little small for the boat so don't really want to throw money at it of I can help it.

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
Old 25 August 2014, 15:29   #11

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Engine: Inboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
Couldn't you add a 2nd axle to current trailer ? No need for brakes on 2nd axle either - I've seen this done before.
My understanding of the regs says that on a trailer with a capacity over 750kg every axle must be braked ?
Old 25 August 2014, 15:31   #12

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
My understanding of the regs says that on a trailer with a capacity over 750kg every axle must be braked ?
I think this is spot on