Old 27 June 2006, 19:38   #21

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki
No it doesn't.

All it "proves" is that your transom failed while on the water, rather than on the road. Can you state for sure that all damage occured at that point in time, or could it have been weakened on the road, to fail when you hopped the wake?

jky
I must admit to not being an expert in Fibreglass. But I dought it! My understanding of Fibreglass is that it usually fails suddenly and without warning, reaching it's Yeald point just before it fails, so giving very little if no warning.

Imagine being on your Boat sitting on your trailer being dragged down the average road at 40mph......Now the same conditions but on the water in a force 4. What'd you think would give you a bumpier ride? I know what would be more stessful on me in my little RIB. Add to this the thrust of a Prop propelling the boat along?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2006, 19:48   #22

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
i tend to agree that i think most transoms are quite substantial (my transom is really quite meaty but not sure if all boats are built like that) and that far bigger forces are exerted thru the engine at sea

however

if you look at typical engine trim systems (well on the two i have anyway) they often have two rams at the lower end and 1 ram to lift the engine to the higher trim positions. In my view there might be some extra forces on the upper ram if the engine is tilted quite a way up when towing as you dont drive on the sea in that position. so an additional prop of some sort might take any additional loading off this single ram. if the boat can be towed with the engine resting on the two lower rams then to me this would be ideal

the manuals usually say to tow in an upright position as possible........and not to use the service catchs that they can rest on in the fully up position!!