Old 04 November 2007, 17:27   #31

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
To consume the most left in the bowl after the engine has died pull choke again, put grip to full throttle and crank engine untill starts again, push choke and accelerate till engine dies again. Only for carburated engines that are not used on daily basis (eventually)
What is your view on engine lubrication during this procedure? Since the fuel is the carrier for the lubricant it stands to reason that if you are exhausting the fuel you must be exhausting the engine lubricant too.

Old 04 November 2007, 18:20   #32

Town: bedford
Make: tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard 60hp merc
While I do use the muffs on my old 2 stroke mercury I much prefer to use an old plastic water tank that came out of the loft. I made a cradle with wheels on and usually keep it full of water just ready to run up the OB. This way it is certainly quiet and gives the lower leg plenty of water to stand in as it covers where the pump is situated. It also in my case limits the clouds of smoke generated by a 50:1 2 stroke running on premix. While I have never had problems on the muffs it always concerns me that the hose connection might spring off or maybe someone at home might just switch the cut of valve off inside the house. A tub just eliminates any possibility of that and at home it just pushes out of the way when I have finshed with it. Dead easy to make up.

Dave J

Old 05 November 2007, 02:49   #33

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
What is your view on engine lubrication during this procedure? Since the fuel is the carrier for the lubricant it stands to reason that if you are exhausting the fuel you must be exhausting the engine lubricant too.
Yeah, but you won't run out of lubricant 'til you run out of gas, so when the lube stops, so does the engine. That assumes it's a 2-stroke, of course.

My post on the fuel disconnect was not so much where it was disconnected, as how. On my Honda (40hp 4-stroke), there was a dry-break clip-on fuel fitting at the motor to hose connection point. Disconnecting the hose and waiting for the engine to die would not empty the carb bowls, as the line drew a vacuum well before that. To empty the bowls, you had to sit there and hold the spring-loaded dry-break ball bearing in with a pointed object. Took a while to run dry, too.

jky