Old 24 May 2014, 09:22   #1

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
E-TEC impeller change

Some time before next summer I probably should tackle my first impeller change on the E-TEC and I was wondering how long it would normally take if it all goes according to plan. I figure that it is probably an afternoon's work if it all goes well?

It is now about 3.5 years old, what's the probability of it going as per book and everything coming out without breaking off? The engine has been used in salt water but washed down after every use and never spent a night in the water, but I'm not sure if marine engines are assembled 'sensibly' or if they are like most road going vehicles where every bolt is wound in dry with no lube at all and then seizes solid.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2014, 15:14   #2

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Stephen,

Things to consider...

Setting the shift shaft height should be done when going throught this process, there is a video on the etec owners forum on how to make your own.

It may be a case of changing the housing as well if there is any sign of wear so do you have a complete kit to do this if needed.

The bolts that hold the leg on (x5) may cause some trouble if they have never been removed before, with all my E-tecs I have always removed and greased these then refitted when the engines were first mounted to avoid this problem.

I would allow a good afternoon for the job.

There used to be a video of the impellor change on the etec owners forum however I can seem to find it, there are some videos on youtube if you search for E-tec impellor change.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2014, 15:18   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Did my F115 2 years after a shop did the first. No problems other than a broken piece the shop did (and epoxied to hide.)

jky
Old 24 May 2014, 22:35   #4

Thanks, no hurry as it only needs to be done by about October. I'll look for the vid.

Old 28 May 2014, 09:17   #5

The original E-TEC impeller change video has gone. Barnacle Bill lost it as the server it was on disappeared and they lost the original off their computer in a flood or storm or something so while they intend to remake it, it would appear they haven't yet. Has anybody on here got a copy downloaded?

Another question: I got an impeller when I got the boat (now about 3.5 years ago) is there any reason why I should not use this part? Somewhere I have the complete kit, housing etc, so will use that. I have no idea what their shelf life is. It's been in a cool garage no heat or direct sunlight but I have no idea if they have a shelf life from the point of view of perishing etc - bearing in mind it's going to do a few years in there as well.

Also, I need to get a few bits including some gear oil and the pump you need to put it in with (used to have one but it went with the old engine). Ideally also some rib tube cleaner. Who's the best place to contact for a random order of boat stuff? I want it all shipped in one consignment to minimise handling charges.

I recall hearing somewhere that you should never use copper grease in marine engines so what's the best thing for the bolts? The most appropriate options seem to be graphite grease or something like a waterproof wheel bearing grease. I think somewhere I may even still have a tube of the genuine Evinrude grease left over that I got for the old engine, so maybe that is the best bet?

Old 28 May 2014, 09:32   #6

Town: Lancs
Boat name: Beretta
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: 175hp e-tec
MMSI: 235035778
RIBase
I did my 2007 175 without any issues, I did the impeller and gear oil and it took an afternoon relaxing and taking my time.

I use the blue evinrude grease when im doing anything on the etec - also used a dab to hold the key impeller key in place.
https://www.facebook.com/rib.beretta/
SteveHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2014, 09:34   #7

Scratch that, I just found it. I must have downloaded it when I first got the boat

I'll see if they want a copy back!

Old 28 May 2014, 09:39   #8

Town: Lancs
Boat name: Beretta
Make: Ballistic
Engine: 175hp e-tec
MMSI: 235035778
RIBase
can you send me a link to a copy so i can have a look for information purpose?
https://www.facebook.com/rib.beretta/
SteveHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2014, 10:08   #9

I can't host it or send it multiple times as it is 100MB and we have very low bandwidth and data limits in this part of the world but I guess if they get a copy back they might try and host it somewhere. It's 40 min long so can't be uploaded by a regular Youtube user. I'll post up whatever happens on here anyway.

Old 28 May 2014, 10:54   #10

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post

Another question: I got an impeller when I got the boat (now about 3.5 years ago) is there any reason why I should not use this part? Somewhere I have the complete kit, housing etc, so will use that. I have no idea what their shelf life is. It's been in a cool garage no heat or direct sunlight but I have no idea if they have a shelf life from the point of view of perishing etc - bearing in mind it's going to do a few years in there as well.
Your replacement impellor should be fine if there is no obvious damage, The main thing with impellors when fitted is that over time they get "Set" in the bent position to the point where they have lost their flexibility and become less effective. The main issue with wear and tear on the housing is how much sand or muck has gone through the pump, you may well find that your housing is fine and the base plate also has no wear. However any sign of scoring on these parts and they should be replaced.

Quote:
Also, I need to get a few bits including some gear oil and the pump you need to put it in with (used to have one but it went with the old engine). Ideally also some rib tube cleaner. Who's the best place to contact for a random order of boat stuff? I want it all shipped in one consignment to minimise handling charges.
Mike Vincent from Southcoast Marine... he has it all in stock. Also I can liaise with Mike to possibly combine packaging with your new seat pad etc.

Quote:
I recall hearing somewhere that you should never use copper grease in marine engines so what's the best thing for the bolts? The most appropriate options seem to be graphite grease or something like a waterproof wheel bearing grease. I think somewhere I may even still have a tube of the genuine Evinrude grease left over that I got for the old engine, so maybe that is the best bet?
Use Evinrude Triple Guard Grease for bolts, steeering etc., Mike Vincent will have it in stock.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2014, 18:03   #11

Town: Zummerset
Boat name: irven arlyss
Make: Humber Oceanpro
Engine: evinrude 135hp
I use locative silver grade anti seize compound.
Apparently it is tested on aluminum in a tank of boiling seawater!
Old 28 May 2014, 23:24   #12

Thanks. I think I may have a tube or two of TripleGuard as I got some when I had my old Johnson engine and I am sure I kept some of it when I sold the Humbubbbble. Just gotta find it ... and everything else

Shouldn't be too much crud through the impeller, apart from launch and recovery it is operating in deep water most of the time.

Chris I'll come back to you after the weekend if I may, when I get the chance to go and hunt out what I may still have. Thanks for the info/offer.

Old 29 May 2014, 11:23   #13
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Quote:
Barnacle Bill lost it as the server it was on disappeared and they lost the original off their computer in a flood or storm or something
Hurricane katrina dude, the whole place was destroyed
Old 30 May 2014, 01:14   #14

Ouch

Had no idea where they were.

Old 16 June 2014, 10:19   #15
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
They're in NY actually I think, and I meant Hurricane Sandy.
Old 16 June 2014, 10:56   #16

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Some time before next summer I probably should tackle my first impeller change on the E-TEC and I was wondering how long it would normally take if it all goes according to plan. I figure that it is probably an afternoon's work if it all goes well?

It is now about 3.5 years old, what's the probability of it going as per book and everything coming out without breaking off? The engine has been used in salt water but washed down after every use and never spent a night in the water, but I'm not sure if marine engines are assembled 'sensibly' or if they are like most road going vehicles where every bolt is wound in dry with no lube at all and then seizes solid.
Have a word with Hadd on here,he had temperature issues for two seasons when a Main Dealer/ supplier mis- fitted his.... All resolved now I'm pleased to say.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote