Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorhandler View Post

What do you reckon?
Tops would be the last of the Yam 50 2 strokes or perhaps, a Tohatsu 50 2st.
If you want to go 4st and new, prob best to research the least heavy. As a point of interest, after trying two different 15"P alloy props, I sourced a 15"P s/s last year for our BF50, it transformed the thing in terms of throttle response and snappiness.

Don't forget, DHD is the oracle re. all things SR. He's yer man for info.
Old 22 March 2013, 10:52   #22

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Tops would be the last of the Yam 50 2 strokes or perhaps, a Tohatsu 50 2st.
If you want to go 4st and new, prob best to research the least heavy. As a point of interest, after trying two different 15"P alloy props, I sourced a 15"P s/s last year for our BF50, it transformed the thing in terms of throttle response and snappiness.

Don't forget, DHD is the oracle re. all things SR. He's yer man for info.
sorry I disagree. by the time you have added the extra fuel and oil there will be nothing in it i.e. 2 stroke yam 86kg, new 4 stroke honda 96kg. add to that 4 stroke reliability, no mixing of oil, 6 year warranty, noise etc.

if the weight bothers you that much why not go to weigh watchers and lose 2-3 kg and have the 4 stroke!

dave
Old 22 March 2013, 10:58   #23
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydeoutboards View Post
sorry I disagree. by the time you have added the extra fuel and oil there will be nothing in it i.e. 2 stroke yam 86kg, new 4 stroke honda 96kg. add to that 4 stroke reliability, no mixing of oil, 6 year warranty, noise etc.

if the weight bothers you that much why not go to weigh watchers and lose 2-3 kg and have the 4 stroke!

dave
But the point is that weight would be much further forward, the oil tank will most likely be up in the console, and going to weight watchers would also change the weight in the middle of the boat. The issue with putting on a lardy engine like a Honda (although admittedly at these weights the new ones do seem to be very competitive) is that it ruins the weight distribution. I have been on an SR4.7 with an old carbed 4/ and it was very tail heavy, giving you less confidence when trying to make progress in heavy seas.

Four stroke reliability What's more reliable than an autolube deactivated, carb'd 2/!? Or easy to fix.

Talking about 6 year warranties is irrelevant, that's simply the difference between a new or a second hand engine not its technology
Old 22 March 2013, 11:40   #24

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post

Four stroke reliability What's more reliable than an autolube deactivated, carb'd 2/!? Or easy to fix.

Talking about 6 year warranties is irrelevant, that's simply the difference between a new or a second hand engine not its technology
sorry we fix engines and 4 strokes do more hours and have less problems. i see this every day. I also dont see our commercial clients rushing out and buying 2 strokes ( which they can) for the same reason.

as for warranty. sorry again I disagree. the question was " Give me a rundown of your top 5 outboards you would fit to an SR4 I want to fit a modern, new or nearly new engine, around the 50hp mark." and hence my reply was for new and Honda offer an extra year which is why I mentioned it.

Dave
Old 22 March 2013, 13:12   #25

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydeoutboards View Post
sorry I disagree...... dave
Sorry Dave, I may not have been clear in my recommends. My preference for a 2st over a 4st on an SR4 has little to do with weight. Traditionally, 2sts give a snappier pull out, better acceleration and a generally sportier dynamic to something as cheeky as an SR4.

If favouring a 4, then factor in weight.

But again, with the very latest 4s, there may not be much difference. I 'spose, it's all about how deep does AH wish to dig into the old 'Sky Rocket'.
Old 22 March 2013, 20:14   #26

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
If favouring a 4, then factor in weight.
And servicing
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2013, 21:20   #27

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Quote:
sorry we fix engines and 4 strokes do more hours and have less problems. i see this every day. I also dont see our commercial clients rushing out and buying 2 strokes ( which they can) for the same reason.
Im sure commercial operators choose their engines for economy, quietness. etc etc but when it comes to Serious nasty b-----d weather usage then clearly by the RNLI purchasing decisions, favour the good old Yam or Merc two stroke.

Is that y then the RNLI do mostly use yam 2 strokes on their ribs? Im sure ive never seen a Honda on the back of one. maybe its the warranty!

Give me a Yam 2 stroke anyday. rarely break down, always go after a dunking. easy to fix and maintain and do what they say on the tin!

Quote:
6 year warranty.
.. your probally need it!