Old 05 December 2017, 18:59   #21

Town: Cardiff
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke
There were some ex fire service flood rescue engines with prop guards for sale at auction recently maybe an Ex fire service kit dealer has some.

From what the op is saying buying a 15hp motor and learning to avoid submerged hazards would be a better option.

There are yellow plastic ones available didn’t think they were £150?

Old 05 December 2017, 19:10   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
..you'll see more than one in use with the RNLI at various places/stations around the Country...
Place or Stations?

No D Class, Y Boat or B Class used in the sea has a prop guard.

The Arancia Boats used by the beach teams (i.e. life guards do). They launch with the engine running, into sea with people in it with no kill cord. I hope Lee1 doesn't

The Arancia is also used by flood rescue teams and a prop guard there makes sense too. Don't think in situations where a D is helping at a flood they add a prop guard.

Old 05 December 2017, 19:33   #23
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Before you go making sweeping statements...(as usual with very little practical experience) you may like to watch a few episodes of "Saving lives at Sea" on Good ol Aunti Beeb...
Iíve watched more that a few (but not all). Which boats have you seen with guards? FWIW I have plenty of experience driving boats without prop guards... The only time Iíve thought it might be a good idea was doing safety cover at some big swimming events where people seem to swarm around you at tick over. To be honest a kayak is a better close quarters rescue craft for that sort of thing. How many people have hit your prop guard Maxi?

Quote:
you'll see more than one in use with the RNLI at various places/stations around the Country...unless ofcourse they have JUST removed the ones shown and ALL other stations never have or plan to use them in the future...
oddly despite your claims, only the beach life guard boats I mentioned in my previous posts state they have guards in the rnliís own spec:

https://rnli.org/what-we-do/lifeboat...lifeboat-fleet
Quote:
..,Maybe if you thought a little more before you post?

Pretty much every post I make is carefully considered. Many get deleted before I hit send. You should try it sometime.