Old 28 April 2008, 06:20   #1

Length: 6m +
Battery for Yamaha 150F

Hi there,

I have had a Yamaha 150F for 4-5 years from new. The battery that was supplied with it (looks like Rulite? 110 AMP Leisure) has always seemed to struggle to turn the engine over with any conviction. It has never so far actually let me down but always cranks the engine very slowly. Having just attempted to start the engine after the winter (battery stored in the house) the battery will not give enough umph. I have charged it but I think I may need a new one. Which type should I buy and is a leisure battery the right type? Is 4-5 years service a good innings?

Thanks

Carlo
Old 28 April 2008, 20:19   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Leisure batteries are not really suitable for engine starting - they are designed for smaller loads over a long period of time - for example fridges - lighting or a bilge pump.

For engine starting you need a car battery. The biggest is usually the best!!! You can go for fancy batteries but are they REALLY worth the money?
Old 28 April 2008, 23:09   #3

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
Hi there,

I have had a Yamaha 150F for 4-5 years from new. The battery that was supplied with it (looks like Rulite? 110 AMP Leisure) has always seemed to struggle to turn the engine over with any conviction. It has never so far actually let me down but always cranks the engine very slowly. Having just attempted to start the engine after the winter (battery stored in the house) the battery will not give enough umph. I have charged it but I think I may need a new one. Which type should I buy and is a leisure battery the right type? Is 4-5 years service a good innings?

Thanks

Carlo
On marine engines you should use high capacity marine sealed batteries, if not used regularly for example in winter time you should recharge them at least once a month to top full power & remain in excellent charged condition. 4/5 years is a good life span.

Happy Boating
Old 29 April 2008, 08:42   #4

Town: glasgow
Boat name: arriba
Make: marlin
Length: 7m +
Engine: suzuki 300
hi
i bought in 1998/9 an optima battery it is half the size due to having coiled plates it is totally sealed for life has 4 connectors on top 2 on side is much more resistant to vibration etc still going strong starts a200hp optimax
doug
Old 29 April 2008, 11:45   #5

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
My Cheap Halfords car batteries at 110AH and £40 Ea are still going strong after 3 years and long periods of non-use.

Nasher.
Old 29 April 2008, 13:54   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
My Cheap Halfords car batteries at 110AH and £40 Ea are still going strong after 3 years and long periods of non-use.

Nasher.
You would be shocked if you saw how much batteries have gone up in price - it's scary!!!
Old 30 April 2008, 16:56   #7

Thanks all. I suspect I need a non-leisure battery replacement, especially given that the current one is getting on a bit.
Thanks for your help.
Old 30 April 2008, 18:26   #8

Halford have some nice lead/calcium sealed batteries - about the £100 mark. They have a 4 year guarantee - just don't tell them it's for a boat!!!

For some VERY strange reason Halfords no longer mark the Amp/hr on their batteries - only the cranking amps. It's stupid becuase 2 batteries of vastly different sizes can deliver almost the same CCA. You knew where you were with amp/hrs!!!