Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Take the wheels off the trailer too

Beware I've heard stories (not substantiated) of insurers not paying out it the wheels were not fitted and clamped.

I think you also need to be careful that the security doesn't make it so hard to use that you don't bother.
Old 12 April 2017, 18:27   #22

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Beware I've heard stories (not substantiated) of insurers not paying out it the wheels were not fitted and clamped.

I think you also need to be careful that the security doesn't make it so hard to use that you don't bother.

When didn't have a clamp to hand one time I phoned insurers and they accepted if I took the wheel of to make it immovable.
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2017, 18:44   #23

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Beware I've heard stories (not substantiated) of insurers not paying out it the wheels were not fitted and clamped
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
When didn't have a clamp to hand one time I phoned insurers and they accepted if I took the wheel of to make it immovable.
check what it says in your policy!!
Old 12 April 2017, 18:47   #24

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Was it one of these? Fulton Outboard Motor Lok Lock

How about these?
Bulldog WL10 Bulldog Winter Wheels - Bulldog Security Products

Personally I have clamps on both wheels and blocked in with my car which rarely moves these days, might have to change my set up when new company car arrives.

Anything that can be lifted by 2 burly blokes and put in a van is a target, be it a bike, chainsaw or mower.....
Old 12 April 2017, 19:12   #25

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:

Far harder to bring two wheels and nuts of the correct PCD and size than knock a wheel clamp off IMO double immobile you then fit a wheel nut lock to each wheel yes it's a faff but when it's your only choice. Just discus with the insurers.
Cricket bat with a hedgehog nailed to it as back up
Old 12 April 2017, 19:29   #26

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Caton View Post
check what it says in your policy!!

Sorry Chris that was the point I was clumsily trying to put. They did accept my situation where I could not clamp as per my policy.
Old 12 April 2017, 19:52   #27

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
Sorry Chris that was the point I was clumsily trying to put. They did accept my situation where I could not clamp as per my policy.
yeah, know where you're coming from Billy, but having been on the wrong end of having a Honda 150 stolen whilst the rib was away being repaired, I'm boringly religious about the fine print in the policy, as that's what the assessor has to use when looking at the claim! I was fortunate, I'd taken the advice of a good mate and informed the insurers that the rib was away from its normal storage, where it was and why it was there, and they confirmed in writing that they had that info. when the engine was stolen the assessor rang me to check the facts, then told me if I hadn't told them they most likely wouldn't have paid out. luckily enough the engine was less than 12 months old, with less than 100hrs on it, they couldn't find a similar 2nd hand engine, so they agreed to replace it with a new Honda 150, including all of the wiring and steering gear etc. since then, every time I move it from its normal storage I'm straight on the phone to the insurers, they never mind the call and always make a note of the details and confirm via email. it's a bore sometimes, but nowhere near as boring as dealing with an assessor who understands the policy much better than you do
Old 12 April 2017, 21:37   #28

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Caton View Post
yeah, know where you're coming from Billy, but having been on the wrong end of having a Honda 150 stolen whilst the rib was away being repaired, I'm boringly religious about the fine print in the policy, as that's what the assessor has to use when looking at the claim! I was fortunate, I'd taken the advice of a good mate and informed the insurers that the rib was away from its normal storage, where it was and why it was there, and they confirmed in writing that they had that info. when the engine was stolen the assessor rang me to check the facts, then told me if I hadn't told them they most likely wouldn't have paid out. luckily enough the engine was less than 12 months old, with less than 100hrs on it, they couldn't find a similar 2nd hand engine, so they agreed to replace it with a new Honda 150, including all of the wiring and steering gear etc. since then, every time I move it from its normal storage I'm straight on the phone to the insurers, they never mind the call and always make a note of the details and confirm via email. it's a bore sometimes, but nowhere near as boring as dealing with an assessor who understands the policy much better than you do

Yep I always advise them when I move the rib from storage to mooring and vice versa.
Old 13 April 2017, 06:09   #29

Town: Manchester
Boat name: Silverfox
Make: Osprey
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200hp G2
A good English chain and [emoji359] rapped around the leg to the trailer is a good idea maybe ? To a floor anchoring point as you can get for motorbikes.
Old 22 April 2017, 12:32   #30

Town: Emsworth
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhhmunro View Post
Thanks for all the encouragement and suggestions - much appreciated. Felt a bit negative this morning but might be over-reacting. Offsite sounds a plan but that would be a shame as the whole idea of getting a boat was to wheel it down the round and stick in the water whenever we fancied it. We're only 300 yards from the nearest slip - albeit not a perfect one but usable. I've removed the engine and put it inside and will get a ground anchor to back up the clamp and hitch lock. Hopefully that will make things a little less attractive to the criminal fraternity.
Just seen where you're from. PM me and I'll tell you where I store mine. Its a 5 min drive from the water, but £250ish well spent.
Old 22 April 2017, 12:44   #31

Did you tell the police?

I'm guessing it might have been the same people that tried to steal the engines from the sailing club last week. Didn't manage to take anything, but cut all the cables :-(
Old 22 April 2017, 13:14   #32

Boat name: Not names
Make: No boat yet
Engine: N/A
Yes I rang the plicd and they took at the details. Was that ESC or The Slipper? It was two guys with tools to break open the lock at 230 am so not casual thieves.

Tags
outboard