Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
That’s good news. Not obvious to me how dodgy plugs or tappers impacts the low pressure fuel system, but good they have fixed it one way or another.
Very good news poly.
I spoke to 69CMW this morning who spoke with Colin at ardoran the tappets were very slightly out nothing to worry about but they got them bang on to cover all bases sign of thoroughness in my book. We did know we had some contamination at some point when all the filters were changed and we opened them up.
my guess now is the trip round Jura with brand new fuel cleaned out what was left in the system whatever the contam was.
Colin did say the state of the plugs would give the results I was getting again contaminated plugs high resistance not giving a good burn at low revs possible
For me it's had two hours of trouble free running in all Rev ranges that's hell of a lot more than the last two years.
Edit had a reply from the YouTube video it was the high pressure filter clogged In his case for info
Thanks for the help all cheers
Old 04 October 2019, 13:27   #42

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Very good news poly.
I spoke to 69CMW this morning who spoke with Colin at ardoran the tappets were very slightly out nothing to worry about but they got them bang on to cover all bases sign of thoroughness in my book. We did know we had some contamination at some point when all the filters were changed and we opened them up.
my guess now is the trip round Jura with brand new fuel cleaned out what was left in the system whatever the contam was.
Colin did say the state of the plugs would give the results I was getting again contaminated plugs high resistance not giving a good burn at low revs possible
For me it's had two hours of trouble free running in all Rev ranges that's hell of a lot more than the last two years.
Edit had a reply from the YouTube video it was the high pressure filter clogged In his case for info
Thanks for the help all cheers

Glad it’s sorted Jeff; nothing worse than not having confidence in your engine.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 October 2019, 17:00   #43

RIBase
Dead right Dave I'll wait till I get my mitts on it before I count my chickens though I might be the kiss of death.
Old 23 October 2019, 14:30   #44

RIBase
Good news had the boat out today never missed a beat in all rev ranges left it ticking over for 1/2 an hour in oban bay while we had a brew. ran it on 95 unleaded from the jura trip with super unleaded back up, winds gusting 30 mph bit rough bottom of kerra sound so bum was twitching sixpence half a crown but all ok teamed up with 69cmw with his ceasear very nice boat and goes like s__t off a shovel so well happy.
Old 23 October 2019, 15:46   #45

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
Good to see your engine is working fine
Old 24 October 2019, 07:55   #46

RIBase
Quote:
Good news had the boat out today never missed a beat in all rev ranges left it ticking over for 1/2 an hour in oban bay while we had a brew. ran it on 95 unleaded from the jura trip with super unleaded back up, winds gusting 30 mph bit rough bottom of kerra sound so bum was twitching sixpence half a crown but all ok teamed up with 69cmw with his ceasear very nice boat and goes like s__t off a shovel so well happy.

Good news Jeff, aaaannndd relax.[emoji106]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 24 October 2019, 08:29   #47

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>> had the boat out today never missed a beat in all rev ranges left it ticking over for 1/2 an hour in oban bay while we had a brew.

That's really good news Jeff... hopefully you'll be able to re-build your confidence in it now.
Old 24 October 2019, 08:46   #48

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>> had the boat out today never missed a beat in all rev ranges left it ticking over for 1/2 an hour in oban bay while we had a brew.

That's really good news Jeff... hopefully you'll be able to re-build your confidence in it now.
Cheers lads hoping to get out today for some more, weather not good but able to do some testing in the loch to be shore to be shore.
to finalise this if you have similar probs with contamination check or change the sprark plugs speaking to colin at ardoran the contam on the plugs isnt always plane to see.
Cheers
Old 26 October 2019, 16:22   #49

RIBase
ah well back again took her out for another spin ran for about 2 hours no problems just coming in to the slipway engine cuts out same scenario to get it going stood in the shallow got it started again same thing wont tick over and stalled. put it on the trailer went to colin at ardoran explained ive left it as it was could he have a look before we go home the next day. shore enough he comes back 2 hours later he's found the problem see the pics.the locking ball bearings are corroded and won't keep the male and female linked together to achieve a seal, when at full revs the sucktion keeps it sealed on tick over there's not enough pull to keep it sealed, hence why ive been asking why do we have to pump the bulb it means a gap in the fuel to pump to it also explains the contam salt water from spray being sucked in. 6 visits to the mechanics to find this.

in conclusion its own my fault the last time i used this type of connection on ribs they were under cover prior to that on two stroke engines which has oil lubricating the fittings. finally i can say its sorted WD from now on i might add
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191026_131430.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	131305   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191026_131437.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	131306   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191026_131442.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	131307   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191026_131452.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	131308   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191026_131524.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	131309  

Old 26 October 2019, 16:55   #50

RIBase
Quote:
ah well back again took her out for another spin ran for about 2 hours no problems just coming in to the slipway engine cuts out same scenario to get it going stood in the shallow got it started again same thing wont tick over and stalled. put it on the trailer went to colin at ardoran explained ive left it as it was could he have a look before we go home the next day. shore enough he comes back 2 hours later he's found the problem see the pics.the locking ball bearings are corroded and won't keep the male and female linked together to achieve a seal, when at full revs the sucktion keeps it sealed on tick over there's not enough pull to keep it sealed, hence why ive been asking why do we have to pump the bulb it means a gap in the fuel to pump to it also explains the contam salt water from spray being sucked in. 6 visits to the mechanics to find this.

in conclusion its own my fault the last time i used this type of connection on ribs they were under cover prior to that on two stroke engines which has oil lubricating the fittings. finally i can say its sorted WD from now on i might add

Every day’s a skool day[emoji849] Hopefully you’ve bottomed it out this time[emoji106]
Old 26 October 2019, 20:00   #51

RIBase
Yep I'm convinced on this one Dave it all adds up glad I spent three days to prove and come away with some confidance now, new boat on the horizon now a bit bigger. While your on now you've cast your beedy eye on the excel what do you think of the build quality?
Old 26 October 2019, 21:40   #52

Well let's hope this really is the final thing Jeff.

Must say I've had more trouble with that generic tank end connector found on so many new OB setups than any of the more tank specific ones such as the Quicksilver. The one like yours that came new with my Suzuki 20 back in 2016 failed after an outing or two.
Old 26 October 2019, 22:28   #53

RIBase
Quote:
Yep I'm convinced on this one Dave it all adds up glad I spent three days to prove and come away with some confidance now, new boat on the horizon now a bit bigger. While your on now you've cast your beedy eye on the excel what do you think of the build quality?

Not had the boat wet yet Jeff, but it seems very well made & it’s no lightweight, which is a mixed blessing. The PVC is the 1.2mm thick stuff, so it’s a bit of a handful to fold & roll. I’m hoping it loosens up with age & warmer weather. I’m hoping to get it in sometime mid November & give it a “lake” trial, I’ll do a more comprehensive write up then.
Old 27 October 2019, 09:54   #54

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Not had the boat wet yet Jeff, but it seems very well made & it’s no lightweight, which is a mixed blessing. The PVC is the 1.2mm thick stuff, so it’s a bit of a handful to fold & roll. I’m hoping it loosens up with age & warmer weather. I’m hoping to get it in sometime mid November & give it a “lake” trial, I’ll do a more comprehensive write up then.
cheers Dave
Old 27 October 2019, 09:57   #55

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Well let's hope this really is the final thing Jeff.

Must say I've had more trouble with that generic tank end connector found on so many new OB setups than any of the more tank specific ones such as the Quicksilver. The one like yours that came new with my Suzuki 20 back in 2016 failed after an outing or two.
i think mine is next door to failing but thats the problem it fitted ok but with only two of the three ball bearings holding so it was on the pi$$ allowing air & water in as Dave says every day a school day.
edit just looked at the new one the movement on the sleeve is very small so tolerance isn't a lot
Old 12 November 2019, 17:49   #56

RIBase
Ok got the boat home started it my tub stalled again took it back to central marine services I said didn't want it back if not fixed send it to Suzuki and left it there.
A week later got a phone call and a email running log, engine sorted water had got into the fuel system throughout the engine so it has been blown out and cleaned. Suzuki has said the globules of water don't break up at low revs so fuel doesn't get through at high revs they do hence it would run all day at high revs when it was tested on day one it stalled showing a blip on the IAC valve on the PC it seams that's were the problem starts. So with today with me at the side of it never missed a beat.
I'm going to strip the tanks and lines down and do the same which is easier since I've picked up a new boat today (a new thread coming) and start from scratch. I've got a fuel sample with some globules in it I will try and get them out and test to see if it's salt or fresh water.
Also as a precaution I've got some fuel set which breaks down water so it burns out.
Going to end this one now thanks for the support see you next season on the water with my little black number.

Cheers Jeff
Old 12 November 2019, 17:57   #57

Jeff,

No doubt water would be a stopper particularly with the fine tolerances of an EFI system. Also rest assured the product you are going to use does contain a chemical that will dissolve any water in the fuel at a chemical level (within reason).

Very much looking forward to seeing you in a little black number... I think!
Old 12 November 2019, 18:09   #58

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Quote:
anyone know if Aspen fuel can be mixed with unleaded ie; if i have a tank with Aspen can i switch to unleaded and vise versa.
when i say unleaded super unleaded without ethanol [BP brand]

cheers
So - to save you having to mix Aspen with unleaded, you've bought a new boat!

Well Done.
Old 12 November 2019, 18:44   #59

RIBase
Yes David at £15 I'm up for it just to pick up any that's missed I'm £400 down on the last two trips to the dealers so worth a try, but it's running that's the main thing. Ha ha re the black number
GuyC it's been on the cards for a while just needed A bit more room for my mate and my dog started wild camping with gurnard and the boys got hooked so need it for that too.