Old 15 January 2012, 11:36   #1

Town: leeds
Boat name: nichola
Length: 5m +
Engine: 60hp yamaha
60hp yamaha 2 stroke

i have just striped the partially seized starter motor from my engine , i have freed it , cleaned and refit it, when i turn it over it now seems to be a little slow and not turning fast enough to fire would this be a bad earth, or the brushes that need to be replaced, cheers for any help, ste
Old 15 January 2012, 13:35   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
When you say 'partially seized', can you explain what you mean? Did you remove the powerhead and leg when you repaired?

If you can determine there's no damage to the pistons and piston bores, were you able to turn the engine over by hand?

I'd be inclined to spray Duck Oil penetrating release into each cylinder to add lubrication. Turn the engine over by hand. Double-check the battery. Could be the starter motor is on it's way out, carbon brushes, etc.
Old 15 January 2012, 13:42   #3

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiffysteve
i have just striped the partially seized starter motor from my engine , i have freed it , cleaned and refit it, when i turn it over it now seems to be a little slow and not turning fast enough to fire would this be a bad earth, or the brushes that need to be replaced, cheers for any help, ste
Brushes would be my guess. I'm reading this based as the actual motor being fine just the starter which is partially seized.

Peter ~ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 15 January 2012, 15:53   #4

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
Brushes would be my guess. I'm reading this based as the actual motor being fine just the starter which is partially seized.

Peter ~ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Cheers... just re-read the OP and the keyword 'starter'.
Old 15 January 2012, 16:11   #5

engine is perfect, starter motor dodgy, the starter was seized on the bearing shaft at the brush plate end, i cleaned it at refit it, the out come was the slow turn of the engine, the brushes did look kinda short, but also the brush plate did look a little powdery or corroded,, should have maybe stripped it out , but it did look like surface corrosion,mmmm , not at all sure.
Old 15 January 2012, 16:34   #6

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiffysteve View Post
engine is perfect, starter motor dodgy, the starter was seized on the bearing shaft at the brush plate end, i cleaned it at refit it, the out come was the slow turn of the engine, the brushes did look kinda short, but also the brush plate did look a little powdery or corroded,, should have maybe stripped it out , but it did look like surface corrosion,mmmm , not at all sure.
Definitely worth replacing the brushes if you've gone to the bother of stripping it down. The copper braided connections can deteriorate. Use a little grease on the bearing when refitting. Any surface corrosion inside the casing can be cleaned lightly with wire-wool, etc.

Try the starter motor off the engine connected to the battery. If it still turns slow (after fitting new brushes), then there's possibly a break in the armature. Had a similar experience with a 60/70C Tohatsu starter motor.
Old 15 January 2012, 17:53   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Definitely worth replacing the brushes if you've gone to the bother of stripping it down. The copper braided connections can deteriorate. Use a little grease on the bearing when refitting. Any surface corrosion inside the casing can be cleaned lightly with wire-wool, etc.

Try the starter motor off the engine connected to the battery. If it still turns slow (after fitting new brushes), then there's possibly a break in the armature. Had a similar experience with a 60/70C Tohatsu starter motor.
tried the starter motor before replacing it , it did spin fine , but their is no load at that point,