Click Here to Login

Old 17 May 2019, 15:13   #1

Town: Setúbal
Boat name: RONHAS
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 6HP & 2.5HP
6 HP, 4 Stroke outboard: Yamaha vs Suzuki

Hi there,

Can I get from you, experienced sea guys in this forum, opinions that drive me to a decision on this issue of which one to buy?

Many thanks in advance
M.O.T.S.
Old 17 May 2019, 15:50   #2

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Brand new?
Old 17 May 2019, 15:59   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Brand new?
That's the idea...
Old 17 May 2019, 16:28   #4

I reckon at that power a modern 4 stroke is really not going to differ much in kt/litre from one brand to another and although someone on the web might say "My Suzuki*/Yam* broke down never*/everyday*"...

* delete as appropriate

...they are all as reliable as each other in reality.

It will really come down to ergonomics/tiller style, price, guarantee, dealer back up + ability to lay down any way/one way etc. I'd pick the one that works best in all those factors.
Old 17 May 2019, 16:38   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
I reckon at that power a modern 4 stroke is really not going to differ much in kt/litre from one brand to another and although someone on the web might say "My Suzuki*/Yam* broke down never*/everyday*"...

* delete as appropriate

...they are all as reliable as each other in reality.

It will really come down to ergonomics/tiller style, price, guarantee, dealer back up + ability to lay down any way/one way etc. I'd pick the one that works best in all those factors.

Many thanks, Max, for your opinion

My main factors are weight, noise, shaking. Could be any diference between both? The brand that provides me less on the three would surely be my choice. Because prices are very similar and both have the ability to be laid down in three ways

The choosen one would be bought to pull an F-Rib 300!
Old 17 May 2019, 17:01   #6

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
i had both in 4 hp nothing between them IMO
gurnard on here has a 6hp yam on his 2.75 f-rib and it goes very well, i think 15mph one up with a bit of kit WOT

if you go on this site you can compare the yam is heavier and the suzuki more cc

http://www.ronhalemarine.co.uk/super...44/Suzuki_DF6A
Old 17 May 2019, 17:07   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadnessOfTheSeas View Post
Many thanks, Max, for your opinion

My main factors are weight, noise, shaking. Could be any diference between both? The brand that provides me less on the three would surely be my choice.
Ahhh, I'll have to leave that to others - again, doubt there is much real world difference but I've not used them!
Old 17 May 2019, 17:23   #8

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
OK so this is a 5hp group test but might add something to your decision given that the Yamaha 5hp is virtually the same as the 6hp... same capacity and same weight. Not sure about Suzuki comparison.

https://www.mby.com/gear/ultimate-5h...oup-test-50627
Old 17 May 2019, 17:51   #9

Town: Dublin
Length: 5m +
I got a 6hp Yamaha a few months ago, it’s pretty good but it’s a single cylinder so it vibrates a good bit and isn’t as quiet or smooth as a 2 cylinder engine.
Old 17 May 2019, 17:52   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
OK so this is a 5hp group test but might add something to your decision given that the Yamaha 5hp is virtually the same as the 6hp... same capacity and same weight. Not sure about Suzuki comparison.

https://www.mby.com/gear/ultimate-5h...oup-test-50627
Many thanks, Fenlander, it helps more than a lot

Not sure about what in Suzuki comparison? Between 5hp and 6hp?
Old 17 May 2019, 17:55   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajsimp View Post
I got a 6hp Yamaha a few months ago, it’s pretty good but it’s a single cylinder so it vibrates a good bit and isn’t as quiet or smooth as a 2 cylinder engine.
Yeah, I know that, all with 1 cylinder vibrantes a lot more than the ones with 2 cylinders.
But an 4 stroke outboard with 2 cylinders weights more 12 Kg than a 1 cylinder engine. At least.
And for carrying it, not easy. At all.
Old 17 May 2019, 18:15   #12

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
It seems the Suzuki 6hp is the same engine capacity as the 5hp and their weights might be the same or no more than 1kg difference.

It seems the current 6hp motors above the earlier 5hp are achieved with carb/tuning changes??
Old 20 May 2019, 13:18   #13

After reading the group test of the 5 HP its very clear that Yamaha is the best choice. Even with a 2kg more weight than the Suzuki. But who carries 25kg also carries 27kg

many thanks again
MOTS
Old 20 May 2019, 20:17   #14

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
i hav,nt a clue about the finer intricasies of these small engines ,however someone once said something to me that has stuck .................."when you are watching some quest style wilderness program or a documentory in some far flung extreme of climate ,when those guys go and start their outboard for the hunting ,shooting ,fishing trip ,,,,,,why is it always a Yamaha" ????. sorry for my simple approach !
Old 21 May 2019, 11:00   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
i hav,nt a clue about the finer intricasies of these small engines ,however someone once said something to me that has stuck .................."when you are watching some quest style wilderness program or a documentory in some far flung extreme of climate ,when those guys go and start their outboard for the hunting ,shooting ,fishing trip ,,,,,,why is it always a Yamaha" ????. sorry for my simple approach !
Yeah, Yamaha is definitely the best option.
Thanks for your comment, Orwell boy
Old 10 September 2023, 11:13   #16

Town: Warriewood
I think some people on here are misinformed about the Suzuki. The MBY shoutout in 2016 featured the old Suzuki DF5 and it came 2nd even though it was a 14 year old design that all manufacturers have tried to copy and improve. 1Suzuki released their latest DF4 DF5 DF6 in 2016 as the DF5A, DF6A.. They made significant improvement over the original design. The new design features;

Lightweight 23.5kg (they shaved another kg)
Three-way storage
Easy after-storage start (gravity feed fuel tank)
Highly reliable lubrication system
Quiet operation (new improved silencer)
Vibration improvements
New improved tilt system
Offset crankshaft
First-in-its-class oil filter

The new Suzukis are now even easier to carry thanks to new front and rubberised rear handles. I have both a DF6A and DF5A and these new engines have been fantastic. The new features make them the best portables on the market imho.
Old 10 September 2023, 12:35   #17

Town: Worcs-West Mids border
Boat name: .
Make: .
Engine: Suzuki 20HP EFI
It's interesting what you say, Tambra, about changes made in 2016 to the design of small Suzuki engines. I wonder if that explains this website I came across recently:

https://www.brownspoint.com/store/pc/suzuki/df20.asp

From 2017 onwards, in the "model designation" column, each of the names is appended with the numeral "2" after the name. Do you think that that is explained by the changes you mention?
Old 10 September 2023, 13:44   #18

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
Ive owned 4 Suzuki 4 stroke engines, each have had corrosion issues as well as various other failures, 4hp 90hp 115hp and 140hp. I was very happy to get rid of my aux 4hp Suzuki and replace it with a Yam which Ive also now also sold on but it was still like new and held its value very well.
Ive owned far more bigger Yam engines over the years and yet to have a single issue with any even after putting 1000hrs per year on some of them. My preference is Yamaha as they are not only very reliable but also hold their value more than other brands.

All the Suzuki engines Ive owned were bought already fitted to boats. All the Yamaha engines Ive owned Ive had fitted to my boats after replacing other brands. There will always be those who state what they are using is the best, this has never been the case for me with any Suzuki, mercury or honda engine Ive owned. Just removed a low hour Honda 90 from my boat to replace with a Yamaha as I do remote long range offshore trips and need something I feel confident is up to the task. Ive done away with aux motors all together.

Each to their own, just my opinion.
Old 11 September 2023, 10:57   #19

Town: Somerset
Make: Takacat
I’ve got the current Suzuki 6. After 3 years, I’ve had no issues. It starts well( I always start and finish on aspen fuel in the built in tank, switching to unleaded in between).
As the engine is removed from the sib and washed/ flushed after use, I’ve had no corrosion issues. The 4/5/6 engines are same capacity( 138cc), same weight, and same gear ratio, but are shown with increasing Rev range from the 4 up to the 6, to achieve max.h.p.
I know Yamahas have a good reputation , on here and elsewhere, which must say something, but I’ve no experience of them
Old 11 September 2023, 12:46   #20

Town: Warriewood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trello View Post
It's interesting what you say, Tambra, about changes made in 2016 to the design of small Suzuki engines. I wonder if that explains this website I came across recently:

https://www.brownspoint.com/store/pc/suzuki/df20.asp

From 2017 onwards, in the "model designation" column, each of the names is appended with the numeral "2" after the name. Do you think that that is explained by the changes you mention?
Hi Trello, I couldn’t actually open that attachment but pretty sure if the model number changed in 2017 then that will be the new model. Anything from 2017 will almost certainly be the new model engines.

Kudos to Suzuki for always pushing the envelope on 4 stroke outboard design. Ever since they released the legendary 302cc DF15 in the mid ninety’s at 44/45kg other outboard competitors have been trying to catch Suzuki. I actually bought one of the very first DF15’s and it was a cracking engine. 44kg’s was only about 9kg heavier than the two strokes but you only needed a 12l fuel tank as apposed to the two strokes needing a larger 24l tank. That Suzuki engine out performed the 15hp two strokes. Fast forward today (25 years later)and finally a manufacturer (Tohatsu) has recently eclipsed the weight of the original DF15 by 1kg with their MFS15E, also available in 20hp.

In saying that the Honda BF6 is also a sweet unit but similar weight 27kg to Yamaha and Mercury and slightly more than the revised Tohatsu 6hp at 25.5kg.

Another standout engine is the recently released 3 cylinder Tohatsu 25/30 (MFS30D) at a staggering 58kg in short shaft, eclipsing the previous 30hp king Suzuki (at 62kg’s). Tohatsu went to great lengths to reduce weight by using a resin material for the manifold that shaved many keg’s from their previous 71.5kg behometh.

Tags
outboard, suzuki, yamaha