Old 15 April 2010, 08:46   #11

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
.....and if, as Pol thinks, it's form a "known source", you at least know the recent history & problems (or not) the engine has had over the last while. A known history is worth ten times it's weight in spares!

I got the merc for a very, very good price. (I could have spent more on a used 2Hp from a dealer, to give you an idea) By the time I finish, I'll probably have spent the same as I might on an Ebay for a "known runner", which may or may not come with the same or worse problems. Thing is I know I'll have what amounts to a new engine with an old paint job when finished, but I had time on my side to do it (relatively) cheaply!

Such is the lottery of an unknown history.......

Also depending on the engone, it MAY be a relatively simple upgrade to the next size up. My old Suz was a simple middle carb / throttle cam change. 20% more power for (from memory) about 50. Having said that there are posts out there which imply that on some "similar" engines the blocks & gearboxes are the only common part, so if you an let me know what flavour (chassis number would be ideal) it is I'll trawl some microfiches & look at part numbers. (lunchtimes can get boring!

Old 15 April 2010, 11:54   #12

Town: Fife
Boat name: The Salty Dog
Make: Zodiac Pro 9 Man
Length: 4m +
Engine: Johnson 50hp
Send a message via AIM to lewislikesboats Send a message via MSN to lewislikesboats
Quote:
Originally Posted by walruz View Post
Lewis.

You get what you pay for. Buy cheap get cheap.

I bought my boat with it's original (very old) 'rude premix 2 st 60hp.

I knew I was buying a boat where i would have to change the engine within 2 years and did so after 1 year as it was nothing but a money pit.

I would give my opinion (for what it's worth) that you will be wonderfully diappointed with performance if you don't go in with your eyes open to the real situation.

Ian
It seems a decent engine - Merc 25hp Bigfoot, so it's not an ancient 2stroke.
From what i can see, the engine will be fine on the boat for a good few years - The only reason i would want to upgrade is for more power.
If something better comes along though, then great. Otherwise it will do for us, and it couldn't be more local.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
That sounds to me like its mdt's son's boat (I have memory lapse as to his name!).

In which case its plenty fast enough for a first boat being used in the forth 1 or 2 up. I'm guessing they are upgrading to something bigger and faster though which tells you something! On the other hand bigger engine will be thirstier - which considering I just paid 1.27 a litre (not in a marina) must a concern if you are a "student" as your profile suggests.

You could always upgrade the engine but I suspect in a few years time when its starting to get boring you'll have an itch for a bigger boat anyway and someone else will see that as a good starter package.
It is, yes. He's also called Louis.

I've been out on it and it does perform fine. Obviously not breakneck speed, but i'm fine with that... for now!

Absolutely, it is very economical, drinks almost nothing. Which as you say, is great. Not just because it will cost less, but because i can afford to go out on it more often!

If all goes well, and i don't find anything else before, it will make a good boat. I just wanted to check. It's a sensible boat, which i can use for a few years - It's done Louis for the past few years, it will do me

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
.....and if, as Pol thinks, it's form a "known source", you at least know the recent history & problems (or not) the engine has had over the last while. A known history is worth ten times it's weight in spares!

I got the merc for a very, very good price. (I could have spent more on a used 2Hp from a dealer, to give you an idea) By the time I finish, I'll probably have spent the same as I might on an Ebay for a "known runner", which may or may not come with the same or worse problems. Thing is I know I'll have what amounts to a new engine with an old paint job when finished, but I had time on my side to do it (relatively) cheaply!

Such is the lottery of an unknown history.......

Also depending on the engone, it MAY be a relatively simple upgrade to the next size up. My old Suz was a simple middle carb / throttle cam change. 20% more power for (from memory) about 50. Having said that there are posts out there which imply that on some "similar" engines the blocks & gearboxes are the only common part, so if you an let me know what flavour (chassis number would be ideal) it is I'll trawl some microfiches & look at part numbers. (lunchtimes can get boring!
Thanks for your advice,
It's a 2001 Merc 25hp Bigfoot, if that's any help?!

If i don't find anything else, and it's for sale in the next month or two then it seems like a convenient choice.

Old 15 April 2010, 19:25   #13

Town: fife
Boat name: top dog
Make: avon searider
Engine: yamaha 40
Send a message via MSN to camtheribman
The engine does the boat fine. And It can tow me at a decent speed. The engine is in good nick except the fast idle doesn't work which isn't a problem on that boat.
Old 16 April 2010, 04:42   #14

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by camtheribman View Post
It can tow me at a decent speed. The engine is in good nick except the fast idle doesn't work which isn't a problem on that boat.

I think you just answered your own question!

Ref the power change, I had a very quick look at a couple of older PDF brochures, the EFIs seem to be the 25 & 30 sharing the same main bits, earlier stuff seems to be the 20 & 25. But if it does what you need, I'ts not a big problem!
Old 16 April 2010, 06:13   #15
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
I think you just answered your own question!
camtheribman and lewislikesboats are not the same person... ...although they are both from Fife, so probably are related!
Old 17 April 2010, 18:14   #16

Town: Fife
Boat name: The Salty Dog
Make: Zodiac Pro 9 Man
Engine: Johnson 50hp
Send a message via AIM to lewislikesboats Send a message via MSN to lewislikesboats
Forum Closed - I've reached a conclusion :]

Went out in the boat today - Force 5, 2-3m waves. More than fast enough for me
AWESOME fun!
Old 17 April 2010, 18:20   #17

Town: fife
Boat name: top dog
Make: avon searider
Engine: yamaha 40
Send a message via MSN to camtheribman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
camtheribman and lewislikesboats are not the same person... ...although they are both from Fife, so probably are related!
Related through sailing club.