Old 26 October 2011, 16:37   #1

Town: southport
Length: no boat
What to expect in YM exam

Hi all.
Going to sitting YM practical exams soon and getting the commercial endorsement. So, as per the title, what can I expect from the examiner? Im going to be doing the prep week before to brush up and using a boat Im fairly familiar with so Im hoping it will be striaght forward enough without t many curve balls being thrown but I'd be very interested from anyone who has done theirs recently what the examiner asked and got them to do.
Thanks
Stephen
Old 26 October 2011, 19:26   #2

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
Hi Stephen

What you should expect is an examiner who will want to see that you are at the right standard. As everyone comes into their exam with different experience, examiners will treat them differently - so the exam that someone else went through is unlikley to be the same as you will get.

If you know your stuff and the examiner quickly sees that you are competent in that respect he (or she) will move on to something else.

You will need to demonstrate that you can handle your boat competently in daylight and after dark, in open sea and in confined spaces. You must understand meteorology, IRPCS, and navigate efficiently using both the electronic aids on the boat and paper charts. You will be asked to prepare a passage plan for a fictitious trip, and be able to justify why you have planned it in the way that you have. The exam is a test of your ability as skipper, so you need to be able to manage the crew as well as the boat

It's a lot to do, but plenty of time to do it, and your examiner isn't there to try and catch you out - he/she is looking for you to put enough ticks in boxes to get a pass. Most people make mistakes. Don't worry if you do, just recognise if you have and put things back on track quickly and safely

And relax - you might even enjoy it!

Best of luck,
Ian
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2011, 20:16   #3

Town: stranraer
Length: 10m +
make sure your boat is ready,the examiner will want a look round if it is a boat he is unfamiliar with,know where EVERYTHING is ,he wont want to go to sea with you if you dont know where the toolkit is or where the flares are stored, he will expect a full briefing before you start
Old 27 October 2011, 06:28   #4

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 HP
Basically anything covered in the cruising scheme(Sail or power as appropriate).

Definantly
MOB
Close quarter handling
Safety brief and distress
Passage planning
Night pilotage
IRPCS
Handling in open water
Diesel engines

He is unlikely to play any tricks in you (other than MOB)

If the motor exam then expect a bit on radar work

Good luck
Old 27 October 2011, 07:09   #5

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Not to put a dampener on this but if you have had to ask this question you probably are not ready for it Alan P
Old 27 October 2011, 19:54   #6

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Priddy
Not to put a dampener on this but if you have had to ask this question you probably are not ready for it Alan P
I don't agree.

How is someone that has not taken the exam going to know what is involved if he does not ask? Seems a pretty reasonable question to me.
Old 28 October 2011, 12:57   #7

Town: southport
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Stormforce View Post
I don't agree.

How is someone that has not taken the exam going to know what is involved if he does not ask? Seems a pretty reasonable question to me.
Thanks for saying that. I was trying to think of how to put something similar, being new to the forum and not wanting to offend anyone.

In terms of being ready or not, I've been skippering boats overseas for yrs on that islands licence that doesnt convert to any international tickets. I've got a really good instructor who's confident that I can do it (could look bad on him otherwise and his pass rate).

Thanks for the advise to all so far who have commented on what to expect and hope to prove the doubters wrong.