Old 11 November 2011, 08:08   #1
SmT

Town: Plymouth
Length: 7m +
Safety Boat Driver Wanted

Safety Boat Driver Wanted to cover Holidays and days off. Located in Plymouth. Pay rates meet NMW. For more info please email sadie.totterdell@hotmail.co.uk
Old 11 November 2011, 11:50   #2

Town: southport
Length: no boat
and you know what they say... pay peanuts and get monkeys!!!
Old 13 November 2011, 08:56   #3

Town: South Coast
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmT View Post
Safety Boat Driver Wanted to cover Holidays and days off. Located in Plymouth. Pay rates meet NMW. For more info please email sadie.totterdell@hotmail.co.uk
What's NMW?

Is that peanuts?
Old 13 November 2011, 08:58   #4

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Quote:
Originally Posted by alant1 View Post
What's NMW?

Is that peanuts?
National Minimum Wage
Old 13 November 2011, 09:15   #5

Town: Lyndhurst
Boat name: Airborne
Make: SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp
Send a message via AIM to Nathan k Send a message via MSN to Nathan k Send a message via Skype™ to Nathan k
Quote:
Ill drive it for you.... For under min wage as well

I presume i don't need a boat or qualification?
Old 14 November 2011, 23:52   #6

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Call me old fashioned

I'm lucky enough that I don't have to consider this work but it strikes me if you keep ridiculing the people who post job opportunites on this forum then they are going to stop doing it! Don't forget if you have a long term bridge support contract the charter company are lucky to be seeing 140 a day for a 12 hour shift so there aint a lot of money to throw at the driver.

It's also possible that the same company you are having a pop at may well be advertising next week a 200 a day Yachtmaster job which might well interest some of you guys looking for a start! I'd be buggered if I'd give a job to someone who took the piss out of me

To do this job all you need is a commercial PB2 and that wont cost you more than a monkey (£500) so why shouldn't the pay be peanuts!

I think you;ll find the boat is suppled by the way
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2011, 06:43   #7

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Engine: inboard/diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
I'm lucky enough that I don't have to consider this work but it strikes me if you keep ridiculing the people who post job opportunites on this forum then they are going to stop doing it! Don't forget if you have a long term bridge support contract the charter company are lucky to be seeing 140 a day for a 12 hour shift so there aint a lot of money to throw at the driver.

It's also possible that the same company you are having a pop at may well be advertising next week a 200 a day Yachtmaster job which might well interest some of you guys looking for a start! I'd be buggered if I'd give a job to someone who took the piss out of me

To do this job all you need is a commercial PB2 and that wont cost you more than a monkey (£500) so why shouldn't the pay be peanuts!

I think you;ll find the boat is suppled by the way
Well said that man. If you don't like what you. Don't do it. I'll be buggered if I could work all day with someone who moaned.

sent from a remote device
Old 15 November 2011, 06:45   #8

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Engine: inboard/diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer

Well said that man. If you don't like what you. Don't do it. I'll be buggered if I could work all day with someone who moaned.

There should be a DO in there somewhere

Old 15 November 2011, 07:23   #9

Town: Jersey
Boat name: t/t
Make: Honda
Length: under 3m
University

Hi SMT,

Have you tried to contact the University Sailing Club ?? I am sure they will have qualified instructors / safety boat drivers who would love to get paid NMW and be out doing something enjoyable.

I know I would rather be sat on a boat in the sound than stacking shelves at the local Tesco for the NMW. For a student.....£100 for a w/e work is good beer money for the week ahead !!

If you need a contact, I am sure SWRibcharter can put you in touch ??
Old 15 November 2011, 07:37   #10

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
It is also worth contacting some of the outdoor pursuit training colleges as well. My club has recruited from the Portsmouth one in the past to help with the big events. They are generally young and fit and have PB1,2 intermmeadiate, VHF and First Aid. They are often willing to do the work for the experience and beer money.
Old 15 November 2011, 07:38   #11
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Stu, probably a fair point, although the OP could probably learn to write better "adverts" where the only "selling point" is that the pay rates meet the minimum legal requirement.

However the job could well suit say a student or a "retired" person hoping to top up their income rather than someone in the professional skippering market. However, market forces will determine the rate, which will in turn determine the rate for companies chartering boats for this sort of work. Presumably if the going rate is £140 a day for a skippered safety boat, there is no shortage of people willing to work for "peanuts". Which is hardly a surprise in the current economic climate.
Old 15 November 2011, 07:42   #12

Town: Lyndhurst
Boat name: Airborne
Make: SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp
Send a message via AIM to Nathan k Send a message via MSN to Nathan k Send a message via Skype™ to Nathan k
i would love to do this, what training are you looking for. i am doing my inter in a few weeks
Old 15 November 2011, 07:51   #13
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan k View Post
i would love to do this, what training are you looking for. i am doing my inter in a few weeks
"Commercially endorsed powerboat level 2" in the original post. I think that will make it impossible for you.
Old 15 November 2011, 12:55   #14

Town: Devon. uk
Boat name: bananashark
Make: me
Engine: opti 225
Quote:
Don't say nuffink about pb anything, so where did you get that from.
Old 15 November 2011, 13:13   #15

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Engine: Yam 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten View Post
think you'll find its required, if not id ask questions about any company paying for PB drivers with no qualifications.
Would seem to me that a company who would, would also supply stetsons.....
Old 15 November 2011, 17:39   #16
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten View Post
I may be adding 2 and 2 and getting 5, but this post:

http://www.rib.net/forum/f30/safety-...ted-43799.html

was looking for someone on NWM for a 2 yr contract in plymouth, then a few months later there is someone looking for someone to do holiday cover...
Old 15 November 2011, 17:49   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart

I may be adding 2 and 2 and getting 5, but this post:

http://www.rib.net/forum/f30/safety-...ted-43799.html

was looking for someone on NWM for a 2 yr contract in plymouth, then a few months later there is someone looking for someone to do holiday cover...
I think you are. Those are two different users and I don't see any link between them, unless you have access to more detail being part of the admin team I'm not sure. If you do I'd have thought you'd not be able to use that to give an opinion on anything that's not already in the public domain such as on this forum.

So I guess your just reading into things more than others, or we're not seeing what's in front of our noses

Peter ~ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 15 November 2011, 20:10   #18
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
I think you are. Those are two different users and I don't see any link between them, unless you have access to more detail being part of the admin team I'm not sure. If you do I'd have thought you'd not be able to use that to give an opinion on anything that's not already in the public domain such as on this forum.

So I guess your just reading into things more than others, or we're not seeing what's in front of our noses

Peter ~ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
I've not done any background digging. If they were the same user then that is not permitted under the t&cs of the site - but they may well be two different people within the same organisation.
Old 15 November 2011, 20:18   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart

I've not done any background digging. If they were the same user then that is not permitted under the t&cs of the site - but they may well be two different people within the same organisation.
Sorry I didn't mean to imply you had. If they were in the same organisation I'd have expected that be shown. Anyway it matters not

Old 16 November 2011, 07:14   #20

Length: 10m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
This advert is completely seperate from the one we posted a few weeks back and has not come from anyone within our organisation.

I have to say that I am a little disapointed by the negative reaction from some members of this forum to both job adverts. While we would like to be in a position to be able to offer our staff better pay, the margins in this line of work are increadably tight and the only way we can make it commercially viable is to keep our costs to an absolute minimum.

There have been a few threads recently about ways to get a footing in the industry. The best way to do this is to build up contacts and that is very difficult to do that unless you are already working in the industry. I started out myself working for not much money, but I really enjoyed the work and it allowed me to progress onto other things. From an employers point of view now, the people who we are most likely to offer any considerably better paying charter skipper / delivery work to are the people who have worked for us before on projects such as this and shown their positive attitude, reliability etc.

Michael
SW Boat Transport is offline   Reply With Quote